Using Logic's Drums?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by brewbaker, Jul 9, 2008.

1. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

I'm about to take delivery on Logic Studio and am hoping that the included drum plugin along with the loops that come with will be sufficient for my purposes for awhile--writing songs. Does that sound reasonable or should I plan on having to get a third-party drum product like Drumcore or EasyDrummer?

2. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

Logic (Studio) comes with a lot of loops. Plus you can use all the Garage Band loops if you have them. In addition, the drum plugin included (I forget the name now) is pretty freaking amazing and easy to use. And to me, that's the way you want to go, as I hate using prebuilt loops. The loops should be tailored to your tunes, not the other way around.

In any case, I guess what I'm saying is see what you get with Logic before you start shopping for anything else.

3. disaster

disaster Member

The drum samples sound great too (as to the vast majority of Apple's samples).

4. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

I think the drums that ship with Logic Pro are great for songwriting.
    Not, sure what's diff about Studio.
    Ultrabeat (Logic's drum machine) is pretty killer.
    I like to create a bunch of beats using the drum machine style pattern/groove box thingy, then export them as MIDI files to the track. Then you can re-arrange all day long, change drum sounds, whatever.
    Killer comp tool.

Also, a lot of the loops that ship with Logic are pretty cool. Maybe not great, but def usable for song writing. Oh, and Logic Pro comes with like 1600 drum loops. I mean c'mon, something in there will at least work. :)

I love Logic.
    :banana

5. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I'd say it depends what you're looking for- if you're into programming your drums and making beats then yes, and there's multiple ways to do that. But if you're looking to just type in "rock drum loops" loops and sort of let the system do it for you, then no.

I use Ultrabeat from time to time, but usually I just set up a software instrument track, pick a kit or a sample, and start putting a beat together in the arrange window. Also keep in mind that any of the Apple Loops that are midi can be altered- it can be a good learning tool to load a drum loop and then alter it to suit your needs.

6. ewoh24

ewoh24 Member

Personally, I don't use loops at all in Logic, but I do use the stock samples and I think they are fantastic. I just play them in time on my keyboard. Add a little verb and compression and I'm totally happy with it. The Indie Live Kit in Ultrabeat is especially good. For my ears anyway.

7. Orren

Orren Member

I think you'll find that the Logic Studio bundle comes with:
    * Apple Loops of drum patterns: you can just drag one to your track, and use that as a "pre-fabricated drum part."

* Drum Instruments and Sample Instruments: these map specific drums to specific keys on your keyboard. So for example, you can press C1 to trigger a kick drum, etc. These sound like various acoustic and electric kits, and you can play the drum part you like.

* Ultrabeat: this is Logic's extremely high end drum synthesizer. It comes with presets that sound like analog and electric drum machines, along with some drum kits. It's main claim to fame is that you get an entire drum synthesizer for each drum part, so you can really synthesize your own drum kit or modify any sound to taste. It also has a complete analog-style step sequencer for programming your own drum patterns. You can also play drum patterns just like with the drum and sample instruments above.

Between the three options, I think you're covered.

Orren