1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

using Logo'd neck on another guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mannish, May 18, 2011.

1. mannish

mannish Member

Something kind of bugs me. I bought a super nice used neck which I tried to trade in the EMP for RW. It came off a Mo Tone guitar (I know he is on TGP) at the time I did not know Mo Tone made guitars

I got to thinking when I use this neck on another body people will think that it is a Mo Tone guitar.....? Maybe I am being over sensitive about it.

I know people do it all the time with Fender necks but I fell a little strange doing it with a 'boutique' or small company maker

I don't know if Mike ?? or the other makers KLine..etc have a problem with that or not - maybe they will chime in. ?

Like I said a big corporation like Fender..etc it's not a big deal

2. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

I still don't think it's a big deal. But there's always the possibility that someone will think they're getting a KLine guitar instead of a KLine neck on a Whackadoodle body. There's nothing that *can* be done about it if the constructors don't identify both major pieces. For that matter, the number of bits and pieces that are routinely mixed and matched after the fact make it virtually impossible to guarantee that you've got a manufacturer's guitar as he intended it unless you buy new.

3. janosfia

janosfia Member

So why would it be OK for Fender and not for a smaller builder? Misrepresentation is misrepresentation no matter who made it. Unless you are selling it, it doesn't really make any difference. If you were selling it with full disclosure (that it was a Mo Tone neck on a 'whackadoodle' body) I see no problem with that. IMHO the issue is when a seller tries to deceive a buyer into paying for something they are not really getting.

4. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

It's your guitar...you can do anything you want to it. I wouldn't think about it personally.

5. mannish

mannish Member

It was not about selling it - say I put a nash neck on a crappy guitar that could give someone a bad impression about nash guitars, if they saw it thought it was nash. That was what I was talking about. The reason I would only be concerned with the 'small' builders is because Fender & others do make some crap budget stuff.

not really an issue in my case cause whatever I use it for the guitar will sound great.

Logo's advertise and could certainly give someone a bad impression on those brands - That was where I was coming from

6. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

I love whackadoodle bodies:p

7. janosfia

janosfia Member

From that perspective, I see your point, but I wouldn't worry about it. You cannot, nor should you even worry about, what impressions others get. If they want to make assumptions without knowing all the facts, that's their problem, not yours.

8. mannish

mannish Member

Plus in my case it will probably improve their sales :sarcasm

9. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I applaud you for the concern, but I think that's a pretty theoretical question, because no one is going to do that in the real world. Why would they? I'm not saying it's impossible, but not very likely. Someone into guitars enough to have a Nash neck in the first place probably isn't going to put it on a piece of junk. And even then, are most people going to realize it's otherwise a "crap" guitar?

The fact is, if you're playing a guitar that says Nash on the headstock, that's only going to make people aware of Nash, and it's really a stretch to think that the guitar it would be on is so bad that people will think that Nash makes crappy guitars.

I myself wouldn't take a logo off of a neck, because it likely would take away from the value of the neck were I to sell it later. On the other hand, I do have a couple of partscasters, and I would never think of putting a logo of a maker on the headstock.

10. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

If the bolt-on builders were so concerned with this they would not make their necks fit in the "standard" pockets. (apart from the guys that just buy their necks from Allparts etc.)
    Since everyone seems to build to a standard dimension, clearly they are not concerned.

Most of those boutique necks eventually end up with Fender logos on them anyways.....

11. mannish

mannish Member

If It was an easy removal I probably would - Since I finish my own bodies..etc do all the work I would not want another name on the headstock. The shell pink strat I am doing for example I don't freakin want Fender or anyone else's name on it. I did all the work.

12. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

And most of them say allparts $99 on the back of the heel:p.

13. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Mannish - I appreciate your concern, but once a guitar leaves my hands it's pretty much up to the owner to do what they please. I take great pride in my work and can see your point about mating a great neck with a not so great body, but hey - that's the breaks. Happens to Fender and others so who am I to get annoyed? Good luck on your project - :beer

14. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Sorry, that's Whackadoodle (TM) :crazy

15. loudboy

loudboy Member

The more expensive/high quality the neck is, the more OK it is to do it.

At least that seems to be the prevailing attitude around here, if you watch the "Replica" threads.

However, if you were to put a "Teisco" decal on a non-Teisco Chinese neck - straight to jail for you.

16. spence

spence Member

Paranoia will destroy ya.