Using Micro Terror Power Supply for pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Skate, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Skate

Skate Member

I love my Micro Terror - and together with the compact 10" cab I built and the 2-3 pedals I use, it's the perfect rig for rehearsals.

MY CRAZY IDEA: Attaching my Micro Terror to a pedal board (with 3 pedals) and powering the entire board off the same power supply. Most pedal power supplies only run around 100mA - which wont be enough for the MT. So, I am thinking of running everything from the MT power supply with the help of a multi-voltage regulated adaptor module (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0372). My knowledge of how/if this is possible is limited - but here is my diagram of what I was planning to do:

[​IMG]

The MT power supply produces 2A, most of which will be drawn by the amp - leaving not much for the pedals. If I replace this with a similar supply at 3A will that cover everything?

Or, am I about to cause a bunch of damage sending 1000mA to pedals that typically only draw about 80mA?

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Having that much current available isn't a problem, as the pedals will only draw as much as they need. So, assuming the Micro Terror and pedals when combine doesn't draw more than the supply can provide, electrically speaking it should work.

But - and it is a big one - in my experience, this type of solution rarely works out, since this type of voltage regulator module isn't designed for this type of application. Guitar pedals are really simple animals, and unless the power is really well filtered, it'll be noise city. My recommendation is to keep the two (the MT and pedals) separate, by using separate power supplies for them.

3. Skate

Skate Member

Thanks SF. I might try it anyway - $8.95 is a reasonable outlay for some experimentation. I noticed on the web link for the regulator, they also listed some more expensive regulators. But these were the size of a DC adaptor, so no space saving to be made. Looks like I'll end up with 2 power supplies and a double adaptor on the board.

And I'm assuming my wiring for a daisy chain is correct (from supply, to plug, to next plug, to next plug etc) - with correct polarity for each device.

4. Skate

Skate Member

Tried it - a bit of noise but not too bad. Only one pedal in the chain at this stage - will 'daisy' on two more tomorrow.