1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Using my home hifi system for at home guitar/bass noodling?

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by dB, Mar 19, 2020.

1. dB

dB Member

Thought you guys might have some thoughts on this. I've got a modest (by hifi standards) but nice home audio setup...Parasound Halo Integrated going into a pair of Spatial Audio M3's. I'd like to be able to plug my bass or electric guitar into this and us it as a living room, pedal platform for sitting in the listening chairs and noodling at lower volumes.

Bad idea?

If it all seems feasible...I assume I'd need a separate preamp of some sort that would plug into one of the inputs of the Halo? Any suggestions on the type of preamp and best input to use?

2. dB

dB Member

speaker specs:

[​IMG]

3. 2020jan08

2020jan08 Member

I'm using a Line 6 TonePort UX2 interface sometimes to connect a guitar to my hifi. I'd be careful to connect a bass, I think. At least keep the levels low.

4. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Member

After moving to a new house and having to consolidate my music room with my study, I have found satisfaction plugging my Helix into my Cambridge CXA-60 integrated amp (via SPDIF coax) and driving my Dynaudio X14s. I use it for guitar and bass at reasonable volume levels very successfully and am quite happy with the results. Totally do-able.

5. dB

dB Member

How are you plugging it in?

6. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Member

I use the Helix's SPDIF output and plug it into the Cambridge's Coax input using a 10' digital coax 75 Ohm cable.

7. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I played bass, guitar, synths, and drum machines through my 70's JBL L45s for years. No problems, other than the woofer surround foam finally rotting away.

8. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

semi-hijack, how do you like the m3s?

9. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

You are risking damage to your system. There is a vast difference in speaker design of hi-fi drivers and instrument drivers. Recorded Music has less dynamic range and instantaneous peaks, than a live input instrument.

Other than that, its fine.

10. johntoste

johntoste Member

I agree that it's a bad idea.
    Enjoy those fine products in the way their designers intended.
    Buy a little combo amp for noodling, they're cheaper than repairing your stereo.

guitarjazz, Srdjr and CheckSix like this.
  11. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Member

He did say he was interested in low volume noodling. He just has to be careful with the output gain setting. A compressor / limiter would add a margin of safety if desired.

I have been doing this in one form or another for years and have never hurt anything, but I always have some kind of preamp in front of the hifi amp. This gives me significant control over what hits the speakers. For bass, that has sometimes been nothing but a compression pedal with the output gain turned up a bit.

There was a period of about 2 years, in which my Helix was plugged directly into a pair of studio monitors running 150W RMS each. I played bass and guitar through it--always using some kind of amp+cab or preamp (for bass) model. This is essentially the same thing.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    JWDubois likes this.
  12. spence

spence Supporting Member

Why not just get a small practice amp?

13. dB

dB Member

Thanks for all the responses.

I’ve actually got a pair of SWR Cali Blonde amps that make fantastic lower volume bass amps. I use them for a stereo acoustic setup, but also quite a bit for bass. I was just hoping to not have an amp in my living room...and my hifi sounds so damn good that I was thinking it could be a good rig at home.

14. dB

dB Member

They’re incredible. I have the older version from a few years ago. I imagine the newest version sound even better. For a low price hifi setup, this combo is hard to beat.

Low price is relative, but in the hifi world I think I did pretty good. All in, I spent about 6k on the Spatials, the Halo, a Planar P1, and cables.

johntoste likes this.
  15. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

I realize all of that. You guys are flirting with disaster. Use things as they were designed for and how they were intended to be used.

It's still a bad idea because of RISKING damage because of a mistake. Use a HiFi system for recorded music and use an instrument amplifier, for an instrument. It's a simple concept.

johntoste likes this.
  16. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i do this all the time, it's totally fine.

the key is to use something that recreates the amp+speaker+mic+recording studio signal chain and then send that into your home stereo, that way it's no different than listening to a recording of guitar or bass. yes, keep the levels low, but that's the idea, something to tame the peaks and the highs and lows which can overwhelm hifi speakers.

i use an old johnson J-station going into the s/pdif in on my old M-audio soundcard on my PC, which is what feeds audio to a sansui receiver and some big technics stereo speakers. there's a million "IR" boxes and interfaces and amp simulators and whatnot to get your guitar into a home computer, i'm sure most of them will also output the processed audio directly.

again it isn't supposed to sound like an amp in the room with you, it sounds like a recording of that amp.

17. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

look at the line 6 Pod, that's what it was made for. their helix stuff is the same concept at a much higher level. many companies have cheap IR boxes to simulate the sound of a mic'ed amp.

aside from being safer for the speakers they'll sound much better, guitar raw into a home stereo sounds pretty nasty.

18. amigo30

amigo30 Supporting Member

I've done it and it sounded surprisingly great at a low-volume. Plugged guitar into a GSP1101 - and GSP1101 into a preamp input.

But I still think it's a bad idea. As someone else said - there are good reasons not to and it's just flirting with disaster....

CheckSix likes this.
  19. MarBon

MarBon Member

late 80's... Didn't know anything about gear - no internet, no info...
    Plugged beat-up old guitar straight in a small mixer an the mixer to a cheap stereo. Somehow I made it work but the sound was.... well I stopped playing shortly after that.

20. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

I know people are saying this is a bad idea because of the dynamics of an instrument.... but personally I think that unless you have an active bass with a super hot pickup and a built in preamp cranked that only problem you'll run into is how high you'll need to crank the volume to even be able to hear the bass.

But I also don't understand hifi culture, I grew up with a particular family member that had the highest of high end gear in every house, and it just sounded like normal speaker with the bass on 10 to me.