Using my Kemper as a pedal platform and...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JerEvil, May 14, 2015.

1. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

LOVING IT!

I found a great Bassman profile. Have the Kemper hooked up to a Fryette Power Station and a Splawn 2x12 with all pedals out front. I had been going back and forth on which amp to buy for a nice clean pedal friendly amp, then it occurred to me to just try the Kemper.

2. Calaban

Calaban Member

Cool. I have found that my pedals work great with some profiles and not so well with others. Pretty much like you'd expect from a tube amp.

3. JerEvil

Yeah, pretty much. So far, I have used my Black Arts Coven, Supermoon Chrome, DL-8 and Analogman Chorus all with great success.

Calaban likes this.
  4. Calaban

Calaban Member

I am trying to figure out how best to use my Timefactor, Mobius, and spring reverb (don't have one yet, but purchasing soon) in the loop of the Kemper. I like the delay, mod, and reverb effects from the KPA, but they don't cover all the bases I need.

The problem is that I want to be able to use those pedals in presets with my Musicomlab switcher which I plan to use to control the KPA. In other words, I don't want them on all the time, and sometimes I will want to turn on only the delay without the other two etc. I know it's possible but I haven't worked it out yet. I don't want to have a giant mess of wires going back to the KPA.

I can use them in front of the KPA no problem, but they don't sound good with overdriven profiles when used that way. They need to be in the loop.

I am trying to make my rig more manageable....downsizing my board.

5. sigmundc

sigmundc Member

Calaban, yours is very close to the rig I will have whenever Boss ships the new ES-8 loop switcher, which will serve exactly the same function as your Musicomlab unit.

Right now I have the Eventide H9-->Strymon's Timeline-->BigSky set up in my KPA's stereo effects loop, sending out a single output to this row of pedals, then returning a pair of cables (out of the BigSky) carrying stereo back to "return" and "alternate input".

You should be able to set up the 2 Strymons and KPA to receive MIDI on separate channels. That should give you all kinds of flexibility, and the Musicomlab switcher should be more than powerful enough to do it all--plus switch in/out the spring reverb, whether the reverb unit is MIDI or not.

The sound of these pedals with the KPA is simply great ...

Calaban likes this.
  6. JerEvil

Wow! That sounds awesome! In this instance I am using OD/Fuzz/Drive all from pedals. This setup is more for experimenting with sounds. For main gigging I use profiles of my Splawn with the standard effects in the Kemper. I am kind of living in two worlds right now. This just made moor sense than spending $800-$1000+ on an amp just for pedals.

7. sigmundc

sigmundc Member

I go FRFR at home, into a pair of Line 6 L2M's. Stereo out of KPA w/ good stereo fx will spoil you pretty fast. I play direct to PA, mono, at church w/ the same pedals in the loop, and it's still very good ... Just one side of XLR out to the snake.

I've got a Barber Gain Changer stashed away for the moment ... I just may give that a try based on what you're saying.

8. JerEvil

Definitely going to get ALL my pedals hooked up this weekend and make a vid or two

Calaban likes this.
  9. Hellbound

Hellbound Member

I would very much like to see that.
    So thanks in advance

10. journo

journo Member

Hey guys!

I have a hard time finding a good profile that works as a good clean pedal platform.

Please tell me in detail what you're using as I'd love to get some usage of my old pedals.

Cheers,

Mats N

11. sigmundc

sigmundc Member

For me, Bogner Shiva Clean from rig exchange, by R.U. Serious works for me. Also, Princeton by Michael Britt, from either Amp Pack 1 or 2, can't remember which.

Now, I'm using delays, modulation & reverb pedals in KPA fx loop--have not yet tried them w/ OD pedals in front like JerEvil is doing. But ... I put the KPA's "One" OD stomp in front of Bogner Shiva Clean last night and played an EMG single-coil loaded Strat ... WOW! I could NOT put the strat down ... It was great.

Calaban likes this.
  12. sigmundc

sigmundc Member

Sorry for double post, but I thought of another good clean "platform" profile: Falcon Clean from The Amp Factory ... One of my favorites--can't believe I forgot to mention it.

13. JerEvil

There's a profile called:
    TL Bassman Norm

Pretty sure that is what I used in these clips:

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/jerevil/jerevil-cantsurf[/SOUNDCLOUD]

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/jerevil/supermoondl8-firsttry[/SOUNDCLOUD]

This is the Supermoon Chrome and DL-8 out front of the Kemper.

wickedcookie likes this.
  14. journo

journo Member

Hi JerEvil,

Thanks for the info.
    Will try this ASAP.

Cheers,

Mats N

15. Calaban

Calaban Member

Hey Mats,

I'm curious about what 'symptoms' you're experiencing.
    What is it about the pedals into the Kemper that doesn't sound good to you?

Straight up curiosity. I'm wondering if I've experienced any of the same things. Like I said, some profiles take my pedals well, others not so much.

Unfortunately I have only experimented a little bit so far, so I can't tell you which ones sounded good or not...just don't remember!

16. journo

journo Member

Hi Calaban,

My symptoms are sort of hard to describe. When I use my pedals through my amp or my former #1 modeler Boss GS-10 the pedals reacted the same way through the GS-10 as through the amp. Thus far I have not found a profile in the KPA where I get the same feel/tactile response.

To be honest, I haven't felt a great need for external pedals with the KPA for two reasons.
    1. The profiles gives me all kinds of OD I need.
    2. If a do want the pedal + amp type of feel/sound the TS and Rat models in the KPA are great. So good that I've sold off most of my OD pedals.

When time allows I will try my remaining pedals.

Cheers,

Mats N

17. Calaban

Calaban Member

It's true that the profiles give enough OD for sure. I've been playing with the Little Walter 50 Red from M.Britt for the last 2 days and really getting some nice Robben Ford type tones with my 335...not as good, but I keep tweaking it and it's getting closer. I have never even heard of Little Walter amps...not sure if it's supposed to be a Dumble type amp or not, but it sounds pretty close. I have been hitting that with a Pure Boost in Stomp B and sometimes stacking that with the Lead Boost in Stomp C for mega squishy compressed singing rock and it's pretty glorious!

For me it's really the fuzz tones I can't live without, and so far the KPA hasn't nailed them for me. They are usable for sure...but too loud! I hope they get a handle on that.

I just tonight pulled the trigger on a Musicomlab EFX MKIV and I'm going to set that up with 2 Fuzzes (a germanium and a silicon) and the MJM Sixties Vibe in the first row of loops, send that to the input of the KPA, and then put my Timefactor, Mobius, and spring reverb in the second row of loops and then route all of those through the KPA effects loop! (Actually, I believe I'll be able to run the Mobius before and after the KPA if I choose because it has a pre/post function- hmmmm).

With the time based effects pedals in their own loops on the Musicomlab and then all of those running into the effects loop of the KPA I believe I'll be able to program them into my presets pretty easily.

Once I get it all set up I'll let you know how it goes. The only thing I'm worried about is having too many cables and turning it into a mess.
    (I think I'm looking at 4 cables right now - input, loop send and return, and a MIDI cable)

18. Calaban

Calaban Member

Let us know when you've got that video up...very curious to hear it!

19. lonestargtr

lonestargtr Silver Supporting Member

I'm with Mats a little here. I just haven't needed to use a pedalboard in front of the Kemper based on my usual needs. If I did need a fuzz on a regular basis, though, I'm not sure that the ones in the Kemper are that great. I even tried profiling my Rockett WTF and the results were less than great. I think what fuzz pedals do can't as easily be quantified mathematically or something. The profiling process captured the "tone" but not the dynamics and feel and envelope of the pedal, where the timbre changes and how the note blooms.

I do have a few friends that use pedalboards in front of their Kempers, both live and in the studio, and they seem really happy with it. It would probably be best with a cleaner profile, like the above mentioned bassman or a blackface princeton or something. I don't have as much experience with that, but over the years my rig has become as streamlined as I can make it and still get the tones I need for a particular gig. I'd love to see some a/v examples of pedalboards into Kemper. Maybe I'm missing out!

20. Calaban

Calaban Member

Mike I actually used one of your /13 profiles with an MJM London Fuzz in front (as well as lightly coloring it with the Muffin stomp...I think) on a tune for my bands' new recording.

It sounds great...super saturated, lots of singing harmonic feedback.

I love your /13 profiles. Can't pick a favorite. I don't remember which one I used but I saved the rig so I'll have it live.

When the record comes out I'll send you the tune!