Using nice guitars at the gig

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Miles, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Miles

Miles Member

I did a search and couldn't find key words for some reason to match.

Anywho, what are your thoughts?

Do you bring out the expensive stuff to every gig? Or do you keep it at home or for recording?

Are you or aren't you afraid something will happen to your expensive guitar at the gig?

:munch

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I buy 'em to play 'em. ;)

3. jakins

jakins Member

lifes too short. use it...beat it up...enjoy it.

4. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

hmm actually a good question... I am down to only one acoustic at the moment and I am struggling to find one I can settle on both quality and price and feel good about taking out while keeping the same goodness I get from my #1!!! Sorry about the run on..

5. Guitarman15

Guitarman15 Member

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

It depends on the gig. If you're coming out of a bar in North Philadelphia at 2am you better at least be alert...very alert.

Having a rig with a total value of less than 2K can bring a little piece of mind in that situation (a Strat and a Prosonic will do it nicely), but with that said, I usually bring the gear that fits the music no matter what the value as long as it not in a "stop and frisk" neighborhood.

7. dave s

dave s Member

I take and play the 'good stuff' on every gig. Why else do you think my guitars are relic models?! :AOK

dave

8. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I usually use my best gear. If I had a real '59 Burst and a $50K amp my policy would change.

9. TexasDude

TexasDude Guest

"Excuse me while I whip this out!"

I play my stuff at gigs whether expensive, cheap or m-o-r. That's what the axes are for, no?

10. brad347

brad347 Member

The only thing that affects what guitar I bring is if I have to fly or not. I know how baggage handlers treat stuff and at LaGuardia especially they are way stricter now about letting people carry things on... at some other airports I can get away with it for some reason.

I have an anvil case that fits my two 335-shaped guitars, so I'll usually bring one of them if I'm flying for that reason.

Otherwise it's whatever guitar suits the job or whichever one I'm most enamored with that day.

I tend to keep the guitar in my sight or on my person at all times so I'm more worried about drunk patrons or partygoers crashing into me than I am theft. I have everything insured which doesn't really factor into personal attachment of the non-monetary variety were I to get jacked at gunpoint or something, but I take my chances.

Playing guitar is what I do, and I like what I do to be fun and fulfilling. So I play the guitars that are fun to play.

You can minimize theft risk by a) insuring and b) engineering your rig and carrying method so that you can get everything in one trip. I have a gig bag for my solidbodies with a clip-on carry all bag that I keep all my stuff in, a pedalboard that goes in one hand and an amp that goes in the other. If I have to go long distances I have a folding two-wheeler that I can bungee-cord the amp and pedalboard to. Voilá! One trip, less risk.

11. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Pretty good stuff because it's the most reliable & has to deliver. But don't think for one moment that I'd walk over to the bar & turn my back, leave stuff unattended on a loading dock/at the airport. Not in this or any other town.

12. Birddog

Birddog Member

Here's a thread I started on this subject a while back. I generally use my best stuff. I did, however, take a MIM Strat to a recent gig instead of my LP, owing to unfamiliarity with the neighborhood and the reputation of the place to occasionally have...umm...some...uhh...questionable characters of the violent variety. In the end, I wished I hadn't worred. It was no worse than any other bar we've played.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=359537

13. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

I always use my good stuff. If I'm in a seady area I just carry a little insurance policy made by Smith and Wesson. :eek:

14. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

Always play the good gear. I don't think I have anything that I would consider less than good gear. Guitars are meant to be played.

15. 6789

6789 Member

I bring good guitars. one for a spare in case i break a string and need a quick change. they both fit in a double gig bag that stays next to me the whole night. I don't leave my guitars on stands on stage or off stage.

16. dogtownmax

dogtownmax Member

hahahaa, yeah, my band was playing in a dive bar the other day, and some douche tried to steal my 412 cabinet while i was playing, so i busted a cap in his ass, and resumed playing.

my bandmates were sort of upset, because i missed half a measure of the coda, but hey, if i had let the guy steal my cab i would have missed the rest of the song...

17. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I come with all my ammo!

18. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I just eenie meenie minie moe....Oh and sometimes I even takes friends!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Alvis

Alvis Member

My '65 Special has had the neck joint repaired once,so Im kinda careful about where I take it.The Les Paul I have now cost a fair amount.I couldn't replace it tomorrow,so I generally don't take it to dives where people are squeezin by my guitar stand to get to the restroom.That's what the knockabout 80s & 90s SG's are for But for real gigs with a stage and stuff......sure

20. playon

playon Supporting Member

I play my best gear every time... who are you saving it for? I've played dives with a $4000 guitar, $2000 amp, and $1500 worth of pedals many times.

Flying is a consideration though, I wouldn't fly with my Johnny A model unless I got a flight case.