• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Using one overdrive with a boost for higher gain?

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I would like to simplify my pedal board. Do you use only one overdrive pedal with a boost pedal for higher gain? Please tell me more...

sleewell

Eqd palisades. Volume maxed. Gain on zero.

Fuchs viper is my amp.

Sounds really good.

MoPho

Formerly tripp2k
Boost before OD to goose the OD. Boost after OD for simply more volume and the flavoring the boost imparts.

Gillespie1983

Boost before OD to goose the OD. Boost after OD for simply more volume and the flavoring the boost imparts.
This. Don't underestimate the "flavoring" the boost will impart. Put a TS, Klone, or Voyager on mild Drive settings, etc. after an OD and hear the EQ and clarity change in interesting ways. But, boost first to achieve higher gain.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
For the longest time I have been using a TS-type pedal to boost a MIAB-type pedal. I can use the Marshally pedal alone, the TS alone, or both combined.

If you're interested in something like that, there's also 2-in-1 pedals like the JHS Sweet Tea and True Tone Jekyll and Hyde.

I also loved the Bearfoot Model H as a foundation pedal and then boosting that with a Bearfoot HBOD.

Stratburst70

I use a WHE Green Rhino to either boost a Bogner Ecstasy Red or the drive channel in my Mesa-Boogie. It works really well for both.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
For an even simpler setup, guitar volume at midway for core tone, turn up for more gain. Amp/drive dependant.
It's all about where the headroom is and isn't.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
I use a Bogner Ecstasy Blue for this exact thing... I just picked up a Barber Gain Changer to fill in the low low gain because I started using a Reactive Load and IRs live in church which makes all my drive pedals feel way gainier, but the Blue has been my go to for a single drive with a boost.

BerkeleyJones

For a long while I used a Bogner Burnley pushed by a ts808 (or anything midrangy) to combat how dark the Burnley is. Stacked for leads.

Now I have a dual channel amptweaker that is impeccable. So, technically one pedal pushed by an EP Booster before it for leads, alone for drive.

van_delay

Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver into Timmy as a boost is my main drive sound right now. I'm playing into a Vox AC15HW with a celestion blue set to the edge of breakup. HFD is set for a Marshally tone, Timmy adds a touch of gain and volume while cutting the bass a bit.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
So... it seems a clean boost before an overdrive would not provide high enough gain, so a second low gain overdrive would work better than a clean boost?

Totally Bored

So... it seems a clean boost before an overdrive would not provide high enough gain, so a second low gain overdrive would work better than a clean boost?

You could do it that way or use a Tube Screamer type of pedal and dial in the amount of gain you want. This way it can be either a clean boost or a dirty boost.

I use a OCD as my always on Pedal for gain and then I put a TS Pedal before it for solos. I prefer lots of gain on the TS pedal for mega feedback and sustain.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I use a Blue Note and want to get a pedal to stack before it for high gain.

kludge

The droid you're looking for
I love to stack a colorful/dirty boost into an overdrive - not necessarily for "high gain", but for more intensity and brightness. Current rig is a Donner Boost Killer ($30 RC Booster clone) into an Interstellar Overdriver. Previous rig was a Rumble Mod (on boost) into a Giggity cranked most of the way up. The Rumble Mod/Giggity combo had much more of a "gain boost" thing going. The Interstellar Overdriver sounds brighter and more aggressive with the boost, but not a whole lot dirtier. Same holds true if I use the Rumble Mod with the Interstellar Overdriver. So these boost/OD combos are really pretty sensitive in their behavior, and you just have to see what works.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom