Using pedals when playing acoustic.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by rodr55, Sep 15, 2006.

1. rodr55

rodr55 Member

Does anyone use effects while playing acoustic other than a compressor and a delay? Are there effects that you would stay away from? Do you use the effects directly into a DI box or the board?

I have been playing acoustic with a singer song writer who also plays acoustic and I was thinking that using some effects would help fill out the sound and make it a little more interesting since it was just the two of us.

Thanks

2. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Chorus is good with acoustic guitar. Acoustic guitars through tube amps sound great.

MikeY

3. mikeo2

mikeo2 Member

A rotary simulator (like the Hughes and Kettner Rotosphere, or the Boss Rotary twin pedal) is pretty dang cool with an acoustic.

4. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

+1 on tube amps for acoustic guitars-- a decent axe thru a Fender combo (doesn't much matter which one you choose) sounds better to me than most ANYTHING that says "acoustic guitar amplifier" on it.....

5. Rob Keeler

Rob Keeler Member

Not really an effect....but I highly recommend picking up a Fishman Aura.

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I think just a touch of delay panned hard L&R, then a good 2-channel DI. Pan them hard L&R on the board. No compression pedal nor on the channel.

If you can only run mono (as is the often the case) a little touch of chorus might be nice. IMO it shouldn't be audibly "chorusy" unless it's meant as a special effect for a certain feel once or twice in a set. It can get old quickly.

For a live acoustic set (even a rock band, when the players know what they're doing) a little compression on the final mix is what sounds best to me. This is after MUCH experimentation with it.

7. ap1

ap1 Member

I don't know, man. My acoustics have never sounded as good through my blackface Twin as they do through through my AER.

8. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Tube amps do sound fine with acoustics, IF you send them through a full range speaker cab. Only problem now, is the EQ is nowhere near extensive enough to make them useful in a high volume situation.

I don't like effects much on acoustic. I've heard tons of guys abuse the chorus, especially solo guys.

Solo, I like compression. Helps keep you from feeling naked since there tends to be very little sustain in most amplified acoustics. I use a little from my board. A little verb and a little slap delay(very very little for me) and I'm happy, as long as I have a good strong signal. With a band, nothing. No FX. In a duo, I like using a comp as a lead boost over using a boost, EQ, or dirt pedal. Just what works for me.

9. Iralovesguitars

Iralovesguitars Member

I have a Voodoo Lab Microvibe in my chain, along with a marshall supervibe chorus that i use only when i want to disguise my original tone in replacing loops. both of my boss Digital Delays are set on reverse, but one of them is completely wet, while the other is about 60% wet. I run my effects (other than the microvibe which pops) in the FX loop of my ultrasound DI+ which is supplied phantom via my boss rc-50. sounds good :)

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

>> I don't like effects much on acoustic. I've heard tons of guys abuse the chorus, especially solo guys...

I agree, which is why I was reluctant to mention chorus at all... but I figured if I said "a touch" I'd be telling the truth, and the abuse factor would be up to the user. :)

>> With a band, nothing. No FX.

Agreed here too as a rule...

I've always felt that a good guitar with a good pickup system through a good DI, played by a player who uses his ears and hands well, doesn't need any FX or compression other than what's on the mix bus. But when I heard Rick Recht use the stereo delay rig I described above I thought he sounded fantastic. It was very, very subtle. I could't hear a discernable tap at all.

11. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

12. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

John Martyn is (to me) the master of using effects for acoustic. He used pretty much everything out there at one point and always managed to sound 'right' for the song.

I think it's preconceptions that stop a wider use of effects for acoustic guitars (and other instruments for that matter). I always loved listening the Tori Amos CD singles where the bonus tracks would feature such things as her Grand Piano going through a max'd Marshall playing Hendrix (if 6 were 9 in this particular instance).

Experiment is my advice and create something different from the norm.

13. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Werd. BTW, I wasn't refuting you, just stating my opinion in my way. There really are no rules(except the one I quoted). Do what you do. If people enjoy it, you'll be invited back. (Though it may not ONLY be your sound, obviously.) If people whose ears you trust tell you it's too much, you may want to tweak your sound a bit. IME, the best players didn't always have the best sound(to my ears), but they kicked ass and had fun doing it. Monte totally smokes, but personally, I'd rather hear him without modulation based FX and distortion. Monte doesn't play for me.:AOK I'm sure half the stuff I do would drive him nuts, too.

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I knew that, no sweat! I thought I was agreeing, sort of.

15. tiktokman

tiktokman Member

16. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Chorus, Comp, Delay ..
    I have a Mic in on my Maven Peal Zeeta, my acoustics sound awesome through it!

17. jony2

jony2 Member

I used a CE-2 with my acoustic this past weekend. Just a very very slight touch does it. :)

18. karlo

karlo Member

I use a Visual Sound H2O with my acoustic on occasion. I really like the delay side of it, especially. I use the chorus more often for a rotary vibe than chorus. There's a local player that uses a boatload of chorus on his acoustic (to cover it up?), and it drives me...well, bananas.

19. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I heard a guy in Montreal one night a few years ago - he had an old Gibson slope shoulder with a real PAF mounted in the sound hole running through a JBL loaded Blackface Twin Reverb. He used the amps reverb and trem, played a lot of slide and sounded just amazing. Was it a true acoustic guitar tone - heck no, but it was very MUSICAL, something a lot of hi fidelity guitar processing loses.

I've run my National through various effects with great results (magnetic surface mount National/Lace pickup that sounds more like the Barcus Berry and DeArmond pickups). I've also had liveable tone come out of tube amps with flatops (Sunrises, I-Beams and more recently an M1A). I want to try the Carl Martin Quattro unit - their gear has a degree of fidelity that few pedals get but still sound analog (guess 'cause they are) - potentially a good combination for amplified acoustic instruments. A little delay and compression (and some nasty dirt for the National) are usually good additions. Trem used sparingly could be cool. I lived through the 80's and have to "just say no" to chorus.

20. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Acoustic through a tube guitar amp works best with a magnetic soundhole pickup. I also agree with the statement that the speaker and cab used really makes or breaks the realism of acoustic tone. The rugged Marshall or Fender cabs aren't really built to preserve nice acoustic tone, they're build to successfully crank out loud distorted tones while preserving the bass frequencies.

Something like a floating baffle hardwood cabinet works much better for acoustic instruments. I really like the tones I get out of a 15" D130 in this sort of setup. It's a low wattage speaker, bigger range...along w/ the floating baffle it really allows for the nice and gentle dynamics of an acoustic instrument. The gooked up "F" series seem to handle a bit more push, which is good if you're running distortion, but in that case you wouldn't need the floating baffle, or 'musical' speaker cab.

Regarding effects, I think they sound best if not through a tube guitar amp, then atleast through some sort of tube buffer before the board.

With most magnetic soundhole pickup preamps, there's a Y box type setup splitting the source. Run one source through effects and a guitar amp for stage monitoring and effects, and run the 2nd to the board for more of a prestine natural acoustic tone. My $.02