Using pitch shift as a chorusing effect?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by docgorpon, Jan 19, 2015.

1. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I was watching a vid of pete thorn demo his pedalboard:

I love when he kicks on the eventide for some pitch shifting at about :30. But how is this chorusing effect achieve using pitch shifting? Could I get that with any pitch shifter?

2. thesauce

thesauce Member

Many pitch shifting pedals include detune effects. H9 and whammy pedals come to mind.

3. randombastage

randombastage Member

Yea the Eventide H9 has a lot of presets that are set up that way
    Van Halen used it that way a lot for a nice subtle effect.

4. Squeakys

Squeakys Senior Member

Most people consider that type of micro pitch shifted chorus as an effect that avoids the "swirl" of traditional chorus effects.

The Neunaber chorus uses micro pitchshifting I believe.

I love the chorus on the Whammy DT I have because I can use the pedal to bring adjust the level while playing.

5. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

On my tc electronics nova system the detune makes a stellar, lush chorus. Probably better than the actual chorus on there.

6. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

absolutely. Some of my favorite "chorus" sounds I have achieved in the past have been with a pitch shifter. Dang, maybe I need to get one of those again.

7. hyjenn

hyjenn Member

Check out the Digitech Luxe.

8. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Boss PS-3 does it (and maybe some of their other PS pedals). Remember that a chorus is just a short delay that's being modulated, the result of which is a pitch shift.

9. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

10. mjtripper

mjtripper Supporting Member

The neunaber chromo does do that, very sweet. I also use the micropitch (I think?) in the h9 but I like the chromo just a tad better - and lets me use the h9 for lots of other stuff.

11. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

My Eventide Pitchfactor has superbly luscious chorus patches. It ranges from subtle to overboard '80s-style chorus.

12. 5150

5150 Member

For the Van Halen thing (that mild detune effect that makes your guitar sound HUGE) I use a simple and cheap Mooer pedal, the
    Pitch Box. The pedal has three modes; I only use 'Detune' set to -1 or sometimes -2. As someone has mentioned, there is the Digitech Luxe as well, which has the possibility of changing the 'level' of the effect (sometimes useful in fx loop), which the Mooer Pitchbox does not. I run mine in the fx loop of a 5150 combo and am happy with the sound it produces. No need to spend an arm and a leg on an Eventide pedal if that's all you're looking for. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

13. V

V Vendor

Yes. This is an excellent "chorus" effect. More dynamic than an lfo chorus too, i find as the beating depends a bit on what register the notes your playing are in.

14. Bammer

Bammer Member

I also love the Whammy "Detune" function. I have the most current model (5th gen) which has two settings to choose either a subtle or deep detune effect. I found myself using the Whammy detune whenever I wanted a huge, lush chorus and eventually took my Boss chorus pedal off my pedalboard altogether because it was just taking up real estate.

I watched a demo video of the Digitech Luxe and it's exactly the same detune effect as what the Whammy has, but in a standard-sized pedal, so if you don't need the extreme pitch bending or harmonizing of the Whammy, the Luxe is absolutely awesome!

15. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

My old Art SGX 2000 rack does those exquisitely still to this day, short ms delay, pitch about 1 cent up in pitch, couple repeats mixed in about 10-15%wet. It's just syrup for the tone.

16. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

So, let me get this straight...

We must spent $150 for a pedal that allows us hyper accurate tuning and then spend even more on a pedal that detunes???

17. Belmont

Belmont Member

it detunes a second note to blend against the original note that stays in tune, thus creating a "chorus" effect.
    so your $150.00 tuner is still valid, don't throw it away.

18. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Actually since my Arion just died I decided to use my old Boss PS-3 in its place temporarily. I have it on Mode 8 (Dual Pitch Shift) with a slight detune on the highs and lows, sounds pretty good for that big LA chorus sound. I like the warble in the Small Clones, Arions, and other analog choruses but I can see someone liking this sound a lot.

19. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

+1. I always loved the detune settings on the Whammy. The Luxe is even better due to the mix control. Very, very nice sounding unit.

20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There were only a few pitch shifters in the very early days that really used analog delay to shift the pitch. Now the vast majority of them use DSP, although I think the PS5 might use digital sampling/reclocking to get the effect. Anyway, if you think about it, when you have two sound sources that are almost in tune, you get beats: alternating loud and soft as the sine waves go in and out of phase with each other. Using a pitch shifter for a chorus, you use a very small amount of detune and then use an LFO to vary the pitch of the detuned signal. It can simply go closer and farther away from the root note, or actually cross over and go above AND below it. Either way, it's a more subtle chorus than what you can get, generally, from a BBD based chorus pedal. And you can get some even cooler effects by using both a pitch shifted chorus and a delay based chorus in concert with each other.

Oh, and using detune without the LFO will give you a very subtle tremolo effect!