Using shielding paint

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vinni, Jun 24, 2006.

1. vinni

vinni Member

Hi,
    I'm gonna paint the inside of the PU- and controlcavities.

Few questions:
    - One coat is enough?
    - Do I have to ground then electronics to the coating?
    - And if the paint is conductive.....what does this mean to mounting pots and jacks.....they'll touch the conductieve paint!

Thanks,

Vinni

2. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

At least 2 coats

Electronics get grounde to the claw (for start style guitars) or the tailpiece insert (on Gibson style guitars). You don't ned to ground to the paint.

I have seen/heard no adverse effects of the pots touching the paint.

3. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

Wags turned me on to this product....CuPro-Cote, one coat, water based, dries fast and it's way better than the Stew-mac ****. However it's haz-mat so wear gloves, vented area, bla bla.
    Worked great for me, and yes ground every thing to it, I did the pups too. Don't let the lugs on the pots touch the paint.

4. vinni

vinni Member

Well I use the Stemac "****".....
    But if the lugs cannot touch the paint....
    The lugs are in connection with the potshousing...(grounding)

You're sure the only thing I have to watch out for is the lugs touching the paint?

Vinni

5. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Vinni, the lugs are isolated from the housing internally. Don't let them touch the shielding. I also recommend NOT relying on the paint to be your main grounding conductor between components...still run a bus wire connecting them all.

Ron

6. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

The pot housings should touch the paint and should be grounded along with the cavity shielding. If you're using the star grounding method you should have a ground wire running from between one of the pots and the pickguard shielding, to the star ground. This ensures that your shielding is grounded. Cavity shielding is useless unless it is grounded.

I've used the Cu-Pro-Cote with good success, but I still prefer copper foil with conductive adhesive. Another shielding paint that should be theoretically better than copper based, is a silver based paint that's used on circuit boards. I'm not sure though that any one of the metal based groundings would produce an audible difference though, so it may be splitting hairs.

If you really want to know how good your shielding is, test it for resistance using a VOM. Place the two probes at the two most distant points of your shielding.

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

Where do you get this Cu-Pro-Cote stuff?

8. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I just shielded a partscaster strat using this fire coded tintape that I use at work. After shielding the entire cavity, making sue the tintape was in contcat with the ground and the entire rear of the pickgaurd was covered, making sure that a few of the pickgaurd screws came in contact with the tape when I screwed the pickgaurd back together.
    This whole process took me a 1/2 hr.
    the guitar pindrop qiuet. Custom shop 69's were installed.
    I can sit in front of my wife's computer with the tV on, and no matter what interference you throw at it, it stays pindrop quiet.
    It's quite amazing.
    I have another strat that isn't so sheilded and believe me the 60 cycle hum is alive and well.
    Think about trying this out because I was floored at the result.
    Take care,
    Mass

9. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Yep. With shielding paint the pots being bolted to it should do the trick. You just don't want to let the hot wires touch the shielding paint. I like copper foil tape the best myself.

10. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

1 888-537-7363
    www.lessemf.com

As good as copper tape, imo.

11. reallylost

reallylost Member

Use copper or silver. Tape is more robust than paint (and you can solder to it).

The carbon in the StewMac stuff will only shield against RF.

I believe that most interferance we experience as guitarists is relatively low frequency.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

John.