• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

using the kemper with usb

Will_Pancake

So I’m considering getting a Kemper Head or Rack. The problem is, I don’t use a traditional computer, I use an iPad Pro. So I can’t use rig manager. Although I’ve seen before guys that load profiles on to a back line kemper through a usb drive. So does anyone know if it’s possible to download kemper profiles into the files app of an iPad Pro and then port them onto the Kemper using a USB drive?

AndrewSimon

Why don't you try to download some free profiles and see if you can transfer them onto a USB.
The USB will be initially formatted by the Kemper, I believe it's a plain vanilla FAT32 format.

Davy

I don't see any issue as the iPad Pro supports USB 3 but, as Andrew above says, give it a whirl with some free profiles.

Will_Pancake

Why don't you try to download some free profiles and see if you can transfer them onto a USB.
The USB will be initially formatted by the Kemper, I believe it's a plain vanilla FAT32 format.
Okay so I’ll just download from my iPad Pro onto the usb and see what happens from there?

MKB

Gold Supporting Member
If you can copy a zip file and uncompress it onto a Kemper or Windows formatted flash with your iPad, it should work, as Kemper distributes upgrades in zip files. The same file handling would apply to profiles as well (uncompress zip onto a Kemper formatted flash). But I've never tried that with any of my iPads, and I've used them and iPhones long enough to know if you assume an Apple product might be able to do a simple task, it just as well may not. Apple is funny that way. But it might be worth emailing Kemper support and asking them how to do it.

Another potential gotcha; earlier versions of Kemper firmware are not able to handle larger flash drives, but newer versions don't have that problem. I've collected a few small USB flashes (around 1G) for this purpose just in case.

Will_Pancake

If you can copy a zip file and uncompress it onto a Kemper or Windows formatted flash with your iPad, it should work, as Kemper distributes upgrades in zip files. The same file handling would apply to profiles as well (uncompress zip onto a Kemper formatted flash). But I've never tried that with any of my iPads, and I've used them and iPhones long enough to know if you assume an Apple product might be able to do a simple task, it just as well may not. Apple is funny that way. But it might be worth emailing Kemper support and asking them how to do it.

Another potential gotcha; earlier versions of Kemper firmware are not able to handle larger flash drives, but newer versions don't have that problem. I've collected a few small USB flashes (around 1G) for this purpose just in case.
So you’ve used this method with your iPhone to send firmware updates and profiles to the kemper?

Davy

Good points, it never even occurred to me that iPads might have issues unzipping the Kemper files. I've never been an Apple owner so I just assumed the zip format was ubiquitous enough that it'd be supported. All the more reason for the OP to test now rather than buy a Kemper 1st.

MKB

Gold Supporting Member
So you’ve used this method with your iPhone to send firmware updates and profiles to the kemper?
I haven't tried it with any Apple products as I mentioned before. However I haven't needed to as I can with my Android phone (Galaxy Note 8) as well as a few Windows tablets and laptops I have available.

Trending Topics