Using two microphones (CLIPS also in the soundclips section)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by abergdahl, Nov 21, 2005.

1. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Ok i just bought a large Diaphragm tube condensor microphone (TSM MT47 dirt cheap around 200€).

I tried it together with a SM57 here's a clip of both SM57 and TM47. The MT47 is panned to the right and the SM57 to the left. I started by having just the MT47 and then raised the SM57 until i liked the result.

Just the tube mike

And just the SM57

If you wan't tom comment on the amp and playing please do so in the soundclip section. There you will also find a clip with the Thunderbird amp. There are some clips on my Soundclick page with just the SM57 and other ones (a few ) with just the MT47 placed to sound better by them alone.

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Just listening on my tiny little laptop speakers, I found the tube mic more pleasant to listen to. But that could have been for a number of reasons, not all of which may have been due to the mic itself.

Which did you feel better captured the sound you wanted?

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Listening to some cheap computer speakers @ the office, I like the added compression that the 57 gives. I heard some harsh top end in the TSM clip. Cheap speakers though, so I reserve the right to do a 180.

4. Damon

Damon Member

Cool tones from your amp. The 57 to me always seems more focused, compressed as Denyle says, but also somehow more one-dimensional. Also sometimes sorta congested sounding, I know that's not the best descriptor, maybe "gritchy" is better? Anyway, I liked how the 57 had more attack but I liked how with the tube mic you hear the whole cabinet better.

5. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Although it's darker, i'd go with the 57. Would look for a placement that gets a bit more of the top end as present in the tube clip (which was a little to fritzy sounding, like too much detail where the attention doesn't belong for this source).

6. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

As a stand alone with this placement the SM57 sound MUCH better but i like version where i mix both the best. The Omph from the SM57 and some added top end an ambiance from the MT47.
    I almost hate the SM57 since it makes all amps sound almost the same, it takes away the and forces the SM57 mid sound into the picture which masks much of the amps signature sound.

Anybody else that likes the both clip???

Thanks for listening :)