using two outs to one cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by laneline, Apr 8, 2015.

1. laneline

laneline Supporting Member

So my nephew recently told me he's been using both outputs of his Peavy solid state bass head into his 410 cab,
    I've never done that and doesn't sound right but he's been connecting that way for a long time. Would greatly appreciate some insight so I can explain it to him.
    Thanks, Rick

2. Mikeishness

Mikeishness Member

I think the two outputs are often wired together internally so you can run two cabs in parallel. And cabs often allow multiple inputs so one amp can use one pair of speakers and another amp can use the other pair. So it sounds like it should work assuming the total impedance matches.

3. SteveO

SteveO Member

If the outputs on the amp and the inputs on the cab are both in parallel, there really isn't an issue. He's doubling up the cables, which basically adds a "backup" in case one of the cables fails.

4. laneline

laneline Supporting Member

Thanks guys, it must be parallel since it hasn't crapped out on him. He's just getting back to playing since his kids are hitting their teens.

5. EK1949

EK1949 Member

So how did Versatone manage two power amps into one 12" speaker (the one Jack Casady used)?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I'm pretty sure both jacks are parallel. The doubling of the cables and jack connections only makes the transfer of signal better.