• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Using two pedal powers...

radcliff

I'm going to use two pedal powers to power 11 pedals. I think it's a better solution than using the DC y-cables.

I want to use an AC extension y-cable with the two female ends leading to the PPs, do you think I would be facing any hum problems? I'm thinking no.

I think if the splitting of the power is done before the Pedal Power's conditioning, I should be fine.

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
Hmm...
on a kind of off-topic but..

I'm powering 10 with 1 PP2 by using a chain off one of the outs with more power behind it (5 or 6?)...feels awkward though having that chain with every other male adaptor not being used (in order to fit it to 3 pedals)...are there simple Y cords available that allow 2 per outlet on the PP2?

TheGrooveking

Review the currect draws of the pedals, you wsill fnid that many pedals, other than units that use delay chips are quite low power demand. Typical overdrive pedal use like 20mA so a Pedal Power can handle allot more pedals that the 8 outputs would lead you to believe.

TheGrooveking

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I am running 11 of off my PP2+. I have a Y cable coming from outlets 7 and 8 and I have a 1 ft. extension cord for the wall wart for my AD900. No hum or problems. Buy the Y cables and save some cash on a second PP2.

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
No need for that wall wart, My AD900 runs right off the PP2+ - I called voodoo lab and they sent me a free (!) cord especially to run it 12 volt with the AD900 adaptor - just have to flick the tab under the PP2 for the outlet you want to be 12 volt.

Now can you tell me a site for finding the Y cables?

slingshotmb

I use a PP2+ for (6) fuzz and my more expensive pedals.also my pog plugs into the PP2+
I use a dc brick for (5) remaining pedals.

TBone

Two PP2's is probably overkill for only 11 pedals unless you have some pedals with extremely high current draws. In most case, you should be able to put more than one pedal on one isolated output. If you have a noise problem, move the one causing problems to another isolated output. And don't exceed the power rating of the power supply iso's.

You can use a "y" cable to split an output if you want to get rid of the daisy chain with unusable spacing between plugs. They're available here / CBL-006:
http://www.pedalgear.net/page2/page12/page12.html

There are 3 times when if would be necessary to have more than one power supply.
1) when you exceed the current output of the supply
2) when you have a selection of pedals that require additional isolated outputs but you'd be surprised how many pedals can share.
3) when you have more voltage requirements than are available on one supply.

Joe Bonamassa just got his new pedal rig running and because of a lot of pedals with heafty currrent draws, required two JuiceBoxes giving him a total of 6000mA of power! He split them like you were thinking at the AC input.

Good luck with your rig -

TBone

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
I use 1 for 15 pedals. I really wish someone would make a supply with 12-15 outlets. I would pay double even.

radcliff

Cool thanks.

I was going to use two pedal powers because I have this old Pedal Power 1 lying around that can't be sold(a couple of the input sockets are cracked), and the PPs are going under the board anyway.

Thank you for all the input. I bought a DC y-cable from stompin-ground but it was very hack and flimsy, I'm going to look into finding better ones.

Roach

I'm using a PPII for most of my pedals and use a Dunlop Brick for the "overflow." The brick mainly gets the Effects Loop pedals and a couple others. The PPII gets the rest. Works well...only hum prob I had was pluging the Brick wall-wart into the courtesy outlet on the PPII. The hum went away when I flipped the wall-wart over, changing polarity. I keep them a little seperated...PPII on top of Pedaltrain II board (centered), and the Brick zip tied underneath and off to one side.

Trending Topics