• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Using UK amp in the US

Johnbonham66

Hi all, there is an old thread from 2003 about this but it doesn't quite help fully and things may have changed since then.

I've just moved my Fender Blues Jr III amp to the US from the UK. At the moment it has a UK plug and the input voltage is 230v. The amp actually does work using a UK-US plug adaptor but is very underpowered.

Having looked online it seems that I need to buy a step up transformer that I can plug into the US wall socket to take the voltage from 110-230. However, the ones I've seen online have US outputs too, so I'd still have to use the UK-US plug adaptor which doesn't seem ideal.

Does anyone know of a better solution?

Many thanks
JB

wyatt

You could always have the power transformer replaced with a 117V version, or even a universal voltage option, and a new cord. Since they all connect via spade connectors, the bench fee for installation shouldn't be more than an hour.

TimmyP

One would hope that the UK versions have a dual-primary power transformer, but I'll bet that Fender didn't do that so they could save 50p on each amp.

hacinador

Good for you that you don't try to run an amp with "american" voltage PT in UK. People always people can always surprise me :)

Buy a new PT (about 50 bucks?) or buy a 110/240V transformer and you can use your UK-US adaptor with it and it will work, surprisingly enough...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom