• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

utilizing the volume and tone knobs...

mystixboi

Silver Supporting Member
After almost 30 years of playing, I've finally started using the volume and tone knobs on my guitars. I've been missing a whole world of outstanding tones!!! I always used to have the volume and tone on 10. I could have had a friggin on/off button for volume on my guitars.

On top of that, I used to live on the bridge humbucker or neck humbucker of my guitars, but I've been using the other positions so much more lately.

What about you? Do you have your controls maxed or do you use them to create more textures in your tone?

Chuckracer

Silver Supporting Member
I use the bridge tone knob on my Knaggs Kenai quite a bit as it's a bright guitar wich is great, but sometimes I want more Les Paul type girth...so roll the tone back to 6 or 5 and there it is.
I was brought up on old Marshalls so I've always ridden the volume control and pickup combinations.

If you're playing a Les Paul style guitar, try using both pickups but rolling the neck volume back ever-so-slightly for a nice midrage hump effect.

cap10kirk

I've always used the volume and tone controls. I don't use any pedals, so the volume takes me from clean to dirty, and the tone from dark to bright. By using the volume and tone to their full potential, and knowing where and how to pick to get different tones, I only need one pickup to do everything I need.

jimmyj

If you're playing a Les Paul style guitar, try using both pickups but rolling the neck volume back ever-so-slightly for a nice midrage hump effect.
I do this with humbuckers or P-90s quite a lot. With the P-90 I'll also do some other mixing of the volumes and pretty much leave the switch in the middle position.

But, since I play a Tele most of the time I do a lot of knob twirling and use all 4 Switch positions.

russintexas

A lot of players are hampered by crappy pots on cheap guitars. You have to have a good enough wiring harness for it to make a difference.

I will say that in college, the other guitar player in my band insisted that I always play on 10/10, bridge pickup. It took years to undo that damage.

edward

Silver Supporting Member
Welcome to the epiphany :)

Discovering that "backing off" offers great, usable tones ...what a great thing! But also that setting the amp for the guitar vols rolled back gave me more latitude with different OD timbres.

And my favorite "find": that an LP, with both pups selected, and either the bridge or neck pup rolled farther back farther than the other, produced a clean tone that can really cop single-coil territory.

And as others have already said, the rolling around the vol/tone knobs has greater/lesser effect depending on your pups and the amp's dynamics. Continue the discovery ...I have :D

Edward

sws1

Use the volume control all night long. Verses always turned down. Sometimes the tone knob too. Back up for choruses, usually. Depends on the song.

I use a boost for solos, but I'd like to start using the knob for the solo boost. I'm just too used to having it at 10, that I might forget to keep in low when not soloing.

Killed_by_Death

My Rickenbacker bass sounded better wired all up in series & straight to the jack. I should have just left it like that & allowed the controls to be dummies.
I never fool around with the volume & treble cut knobs much.

Seth L

My Rickenbacker bass sounded better wired all up in series & straight to the jack. I should have just left it like that & allowed the controls to be dummies.
I never fool around with the volume & treble cut knobs much.
We all knew that about bass players. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ugly Bunny

I just discovered this recently too, TC, after 20 years :)

i saw a Bonamassa video and I wanted to explore every nuance of my Suhr Classic; I'm still on that journey.

Mikhael

Slide on bridge pickup with tone rolled back = steel guitar. As others have said, you can control the amount of overdrive using the volume pot as well.

Hugh Jorgan

I have a Kramer single pickup, no tone, with a JBJ in it. On 10 it's ok. Rolled off to about six or seven is the sweetest crunch you'll ever hear.

Hawx

With a Strat I utilise everything I can. I change pickups and adjust volume and tone knobs constantly, in the middle of phrases even. I try to make each note sit as well as it can with the music. I'm also swapping between pick and fingerstyle constantly, so I have even more colours to choose from. When I use the volume knob it's mostly to control gain since I have an always-on overdrive. Tonnes of fun.

Chicago Slim

Playing for good vocalists, I learned to ride my volume control throughout each song. That's how you get hired by artists.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
On a two humbucker guitar, the middle position is where it's at. Just blend volumes/tones for a million subtle shades of tone!

Carbohydrates

Took me years to not just dime everything. I currently have my LP in the middle position with both volumes at 8, neck tone 6, bridge tone 7 and it's this beautiful, right on the edge of breaking up tone in the dirty channel of my amp with this crisp, defined treble - everything is really pronounced and clear this way; you can hear every note in a chord. Plus you can push it right into drive with just a little roll of a knob. I kind of really miss this ability to dial in sound on my 1v 1t humbucker guitars.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Choosing a great value for tone cap is worth doing. I tend for the lowest value I can. I want a little clarity even with tone all the way down.

Using the volume knob is how to control your overdrive pedals without having to stand at your pedalboard.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom