Utopia Custom Shop guitars at Rumble Seat

StummerJoe

Platinum Supporting Member
For $1850, I think I'd just get a real strat. Nice looking guitar, though.

Edit : Of course if you wanted something purposely NOT Fender, but still performing like a strat, I think you could do worse.

Last edited:

TeleTex82

Silver Supporting Member
Got this from the Luthier himself:

"Hi Sergio ! nice to meet you!
first of all thank you for your interest. the "traditional" is a faithful reproduction of the guitars of that period with strengths and weaknesses.All timbers come from my private stock and have at least 15 years of seasoning. the weight, the measures and the type of wood try to be as close as possible to the instrument of the '60 and the aging process was made with the supervision of Cesco's Corner, a real authority.Pick ups are handmade with vintage spec.
I use in the construction process of a CNC machine that provides me with relatively low costs, but each tool has dedicated designs and manual finishing.
I have been repairing and restoring vintage instruments for many years and the ones I send to RSM are the dried copy of the size, weight and characteristics of some guitars and basses that sounded particularly good that I had personally.
I am a luthier graduated in 1995 and I build modern and classical instruments, electric and acoustic.

Radius: 7,25"
width (approximate): nut 41.9 mm, 12°T 51.8 mm, 21°T 56.2 mm

thickness(approximate): 3°T 21.4 mm, 9°T 23.1 mm, 21°T 25.5 mm

That guitar is part of the first production run. Eliot of RSM, saw my instruments through the common friend Francesco of Cesco's corner and asked if it was possible to make a small series for musicians at a reasonable price"

Had to convert from metric but appear to be vintage spec. I've looked through the Luther's website and done some digging and he looks to be the real deal. A lot of work restoring vintage fenders, as well as building custom orders. He is a legitimately classically trained Luthier, not just guitars but classical instruments also.

Husky

Ah,I gotcha. I thought the headstock looked to be a slightly different shape. It was hard to tell for me from that angle. Thank you for pointing that out.
look at Rumble seats pics, the headstock is photo shopped (very badly) but you can see a Fender headstock all over the place on their Facebook, they even have an F bridge cover on the j bass.

StummerJoe

Anybody play these guitars? Never heard of the Luthier but having done some research he seems to be a top gun in Italy. Thinking hard about one.

https://reverb.com/item/24393638-20...p-traditional-fiesta-red-w-matching-headstock
I'm not seeing the photoshop in any of the pictures of that guitar. I see one picture where the blanket looks to be in front of the bottom of the headstock, but the picture from the back clearly shows the shape of the entire headstock. I wouldn't listen to anyone claiming otherwise. It looks like a quality product, though I have no experience with them. One thing is for sure, you'd be the only kid on the block with one! I look forward to your review if you go ahead with the purchase.

TeleTex82

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not seeing the photoshop in any of the pictures of that guitar. I see one picture where the blanket looks to be in front of the bottom of the headstock, but the picture from the back clearly shows the shape of the entire headstock. I wouldn't listen to anyone claiming otherwise. It looks like a quality product, though I have no experience with them. One thing is for sure, you'd be the only kid on the block with one! I look forward to your review if you go ahead with the purchase.
The pictures find the greatest quality so I can see how it may look photoshopped. I thought that there was a bevel to the headstock on the bottom side which made it a different shape than the officia but again not great picture quality. I have spoken to the luthier as well as Francesco Balossino of Cescos corner. I have no reason to doubt the quality of the work.

Last edited:

Husky

Well the bottom line of the headstock looks very suspect to me but maybe its just the blanket, bevel and how dark the headstocks are. I see the back picture and you are right, it clearly shows the Fender trademarked headstock.

When we carried double cream humbuckers from Duncan on 48th street and DiMarzio decided to sue for trademark infringement they sued Rudy's because its cheaper for court and attorney fees because we were closer. Photoshop or not, it's trademark infringement. Anything with a ball on the end Fender will go after it. I'd be real careful kicking the bear.
View media item 195558View media item 195557This sure looks like a bunch of Fenders to probably anyone from a distance and that is what courts look at, are they confusingly similar. View media item 195555Putting a bevel on the bottom edge of a headstock means nothing, it's the outside perimeter that is trademarked, especially the ball, ask Tom Anderson about that.

Last edited:

TeleTex82

Silver Supporting Member
Well the bottom line of the headstock looks very suspect to me but maybe its just the blanket, bevel and how dark the headstocks are. I see the back picture and you are right, it clearly shows the Fender trademarked headstock.

When we carried double cream humbuckers from Duncan on 48th street and DiMarzio decided to sue for trademark infringement they sued Rudy's because its cheaper for court and attorney fees because we were closer. Photoshop or not, it's trademark infringement. Anything with a ball on the end Fender will go after it. I'd be real careful kicking the bear.
View media item 195558View media item 195557This sure looks like a bunch of Fenders to probably anyone from a distance and that is what courts look at, are they confusingly similar. View media item 195555Putting a bevel on the bottom edge of a headstock means nothing, it's the outside perimeter that is trademarked, especially the ball, ask Tom Anderson about that.
My intention was not to get anyone in legal hot water, but I honestly know very little of what is licensed/allowed vs not. I'm beginning to regret posting this...

Husky

My intention was not to get anyone in legal hot water, but I honestly know very little of what is licensed/allowed vs not. I'm beginning to regret posting this...
Well sorry but you said my name which brought me here and I have some first hand experience with this. I doubt your post is going to matter in that regard though. The price seems pretty amazing though so get one and try it out before it gets changed.

TeleTex82

Silver Supporting Member
Well sorry but you said my name which brought me here and I have some first hand experience with this. I doubt your post is going to matter in that regard though. The price seems pretty amazing though so get one and try it out before it gets changed.
Oh wow, I just realized who you are. I apologize, i I wasn't trying to cast aspersions in any way onto any builders. Just that there are shapes and styles that are popular for a reason. I really dig your work, btw. Thank you for your comments and advice.

StummerJoe

Yeah, I remember when Fender went after Kramer guitars and Kramer went to a beak headstock.

Trending Topics