V-amp 2 warning about problem

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Jan 18, 2006.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just in case anyone else experiences this I thought I would mention it and save them some trouble.

My V-amp2 began losing patches a while back. Any patch that I changed from factory, when I powered up it would suddenl sound really muffled and buried, no changing of any paramter would help get it out. The ONLY thing that helped was resetting that patch back to factory default. From there I could change parameters, choose amp types, etc. okay. But if I did, and power down and up again back to the same problem.

Along with that some of the effects would ping-pong in the stereo field even when I picked some other effect.

Even then, after power cycling, the "bad patch" would come back. I figure it is because I cannot save the new patch OR EVEN save the fact that I had gone back to factory default.

I know, anytime you save patches you have some kind of battery in the unit, to keep it in memory. Thing is, there is NO mention of it in the manual at all. I emailed Behringer, and they acted all coy...I mean I SPECIFICALLY asked if this was typical of a battery going bad, and they acted like they never heard of a problem like this, and furthermore needed(this is where they get you....ask for ALL kinds of version numbers, when bought, etc. so the person just gives up) mor info to even help me. Took days to exchange email cause they don't answer direct you have to fill in their panel at the website.

Anyway, this is a little premature, but I took out the 4 screws on the back, carefully lifted the cover off (it is well built as far as accessibility) and there was the little 3v battery. Taking it in tomorrow to get a new one, but more I think about it the more I am sure this battery is just dead.

I'll post here again when I confirm that. But it all makes sense.

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Nobody replied (kind of expected) which is cool, mainly I just wanted to get this info out, archived in case someone with a similar problem (i.e. V-amp2 user patches sound like crap after turning on. Sound muffled, and only way out is reset to factory preset, but even then is flaky, effects are real flaky, and again when turning off and on again, same problem, but ONLY on patches that have been changed from factory default.

It's the battery, and it is a really simple thing to change out. 5 Screws on the bottom of the unit, carefully lift off back cover. You see the batter up on the top end of the unit. Carefully pry out the CR2032, 3v lithium battery, buy a new one and screw cover back on. Works good as new.

Now...the thing is, there is something fishy about the way Behringer DIDN'T help me in the least. They engineered their site to buffer them from actual customers, and when I explained the problem I was having, told them how long I had the unit, asked specifically if this could be as simple as a dead battery (I postulatd there had to be a battery in there) I got a confused reply from them, claiming they needed all kinds of other information, hinting that I might have to send it back to them.

Seems really suspicious. Also that they don't have a small trapdoor in the unit for changing the battery. I bet there are lots of folks that don't know there is a battery in theirs, they don't mention it at all that I can find in their manual, and either send the unit back and pay for "repairs" OR throw it away and buy a newer V-amp.

I really wonder if this is calculated. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I like their products mostly, some good deals, affordable, and relatively stable. The Vamp 2 was actually well thought out, I love the sounds, the pedal, the software for editing if you want it (like the bass v-amp much less actually) and the carrying case. Manual is okay...but they COULD be this sneaky.

Ah well, the solution is change the battery so if anyone is reading this from doing a search on the problem, it's easily fixed!

Good luck!

3. Highway Jones

Highway Jones Supporting Member

I've always liked mine (V-amp2) but, using the midi output to your PC is where it excels IMO. I do not have 1 of the 125 factory presets. I downloaded about 1000 other presets and made various mods to each so that each of the 5 presets per bank (25) is dedicated to an artist. For instance, I might have a Rush bank with "Working Man tone", "Spirit of Radio / Freewill flange", "modern distortion like Driven", "Acoustic" and "Chorus w/ Delay"

Thanks for the info.....

4. Marcello

Marcello Member

i did the battery trick....didn't work long...

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Marcello, I don't understand what you mean. You changed out the battery, it worked okay for a little while after that, then stopped again?

If so, try again...double check that the new battery (check the expiration date) is fully charged and good. Also maybe do a visual on the battery clip, make sure it is making good solid contact.

The battery apparently is necessary to downloag ANY change from factory default (even when power is kept on from the AC-DC power in, THAT was the big surprise for me...meaning EVEN with power kept on, if you change a patch, go to another patch and come back to the "saved" patch, it has gone bad again. The battery seems necesary to save ANY change. Including changing it BACK to factory default!)

I'm sure other glitches could be problematic, so one suggestion (in addition to the ones above) I have is, do a SYSTEM reset. Meaning hold down buttons D & E before and during power up, when the display reads "CL" (for clear) let go of D & E and hit both left and right arrow buttons at the same time. That resets ALL patches back to factory default.

That ought to fix it.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Correction: I edited my original description of the battery to be correct. It is a CR2032, 3v Lihium battery.

7. Marcello

Marcello Member

i bought a duracell CR2032, went back home, changed the battery, made sure the contacts were ok. Then brought back the factory presets, they were ok. Unplugged the power, then power back => all settings close to zero, gain, treble, etc and atrocious TREBLY tone, buzzy, totally unusable. Im thinking of throwing it in the trash.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

That wouldn't be a really smart move if it turns out the battery has been sitting on the shelf of the store and was almost flat when you bought it, would it?

You can certainly throw it in the trash (send private mail with your address...:) I could use a backup) if you want to. But the price of another battery isn't really close to what these units cost is it?

Seriously, I get amazed when people think that just because they buy a new part it MUST be good, especially something we know has a shelf-life, like a battery.

In electronics, I have changed out simple parts, op-amps, etc. that were bad even though new. Shouldn't happen...but does.

Do whatever you want. It might not fix the problem, but it sure is a cheap way to check. An alternative, if you have a volt ohmmeter check the voltage on the battery while in the unit, (with no power cord attached).

You can't do this (not really) outside of the unit as well, because I know some batteries measure okay, or close, but simply have no current to supply...hook them up and the voltage droops down to unusable.

9. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

I also had this problem with my VAmp2 a few years back. New battery fixed everything, but it was a real bummer to lose my patches. It was still going strong when I sold it. It was a pretty cool unit for what it is- I liked the LED knob markers.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

That really was one reason I chose it over the POD...I like knobs, and quick changing of parameters.

I generally (though I am a programmer, and former electronics tech) don't like MIDI, but they provide a great free software interface that is a snap to set up, and can organize and save off all patches, even give them descriptive names for you. Really excellent.

On the other hand, I kinda like losing my old favorite patches...I like recreating, looking at it as a chance to find something even cooler.

This thing does have some great sounds in it.

11. ubirajara

ubirajara Member

hello, when i turn off my vamp2, i lose all the patchs i have saved, i changed the 3v battery, but nothing changed :S help please :,(