V-neck players

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jeep_Guy, Feb 2, 2008.

What do you think of v-necks?

1. Yes!! I only play v-necks or whenever I can

2. I'd prefer them, but I'd still take a different shape

3. No preference, no more or less than a c-neck, u-neck etc

4. Would rather have something else, but I'd take a v-neck

5. No, not at all, no v-necks

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

Who here plays a v-neck? Do you only like them, or just prefer them? Or not at all? I know I'm being general about it, since there's a million ways to cut a guitar neck.

I ordered a v-neck, but got a c-neck. It's not awful, but I'm not sure if I should send it back or what. Anyone who's played one of G&L's v-necks care to give their thoughts compared to other v-necks or G&L's c-neck?

2. 5150gtrmonkey

5150gtrmonkey Silver Supporting Member

While I don't mind playing a "C" shaped neck, and have a couple guitars with that profile, I definitely prefer a "V." Sharper the better actually. I have one guitar with a sharp "V" and one with a soft. They both are great and I really like the way they fit in my hand. I have a PRS with the wide fat profile that is also comfortable, but my first preference is a "V."

3. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Read that some early Fender Vs were the result of putting a very industrious but inexperience employee on the drum sander, which is what they used back in the 1950s to shape the necks. Before they knew it, he had done about 200 to 300 necks -- all with a V profile. Not my favorite profile.

4. wilerty

wilerty Member

I have a Fender American Deluxe V Neck, and if they had shipped it as a C neck, I would have sent it back. I was at GC today and tied out one of the new American Strats ... the C neck is not for me. I just prefer a smaller feeling neck, which is why my favorite neck is the PRS wide thin. That is a C neck but the circumference of the neck is small.

5. roadscholar

roadscholar Member

Love V-necks, particularly big chunky ones. My two favorite electrics are my '79 Tokai Springy Sound Strat and my '85 MIJ Fender 52 Reissue Tele, both with BIG V-necks.

6. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

I would have thought the v-neck feels bigger. At least it did to me. I liked the soft v on Eric Clapton's signature model. It doesn't have to be a soft v in particular though

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I fell in love with the V shape on my old Dean Time Capsule Z & ML. Those necks were so comfortable I've shave many necks to that shape. Fixin' to do another one soon in fact.

8. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

I'm with Mike! V neck preference here as well... Dean V profile to be specific :dude

I recently purchased a couple of USA Solteros and the neck carve is simply to die for. It's not a hard v but more of a softer v with rolled fretboard edges. mmmmmm:)

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

I like em all, as long as they are the right size.

10. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I was first turned on to V necks when I got my EBMM Luke. At first I could not get used to it at all, I was from the school of super thin shredder type necks! Forgive me!

But after probably a few days of practice it really made up my mind, V necks were the perfect neck shape for me. However it can get quite uncomfortable especially on the thumb during long jams and performances with loads of chord work.

I answered the 2nd option, I love the profile, but I would still play any other profile which is comfortable. I've got a suhr with a C, an EJ with a soft V to C, and an incoming baker with a C as well. :D

11. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I have 3 G&L's with V necks, Legacy, Fullerton, and an ASAT Semi. I really do prefer them. I guess it has to do with my hand size as odd as it sounds. My hands are huge except my pinky is short. I never have gotten tired while playing them or anything.

12. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I like the V neck on my '56 Relic Strat and my Martin HD 28 Vintage but I prefer U or D shaped necks the best overall.

A nicely profiled soft V is sweet though.

13. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I like V necks. I have a few of them.

The way I play, it doesn't matter all that much though.

But if you ordered a V neck, and someone sent you something else, it should be returned IMO.

14. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

I'm cool with a slight V. I hate anything more pronounced.

15. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

With a lot of chord work they tend to be uncomfortable for me. But I also hate shredder necks too! Thin necks also are terrible for chording without hand fatigue. I like a nice middle of the road C neck best.

16. rongtr

rongtr Member

I have a Clapton Strat with the soft V, and I have an Epiphone solid body from the early 60's that I use for slide that has a V profile neck.

17. PFCG

PFCG Member

no can do, feels like im holding something foreign, its super weird for me.

18. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

I bought an American Deluxe V neck Strat and liked it so much I bought another! I believe it's a soft V, not sure though. Definitely works for me.