V-Pick love!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kludge, Sep 22, 2008.

1. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

So, who else is a V-Pick addict? I just got hooked. :bong

A while back, I became a Dunlop Jazz III junkie. While the Jazz III is a great pick, it has a few problems. The first one comes from its strength... the Jazz III allows you to relax your grip a lot compared to most other picks. But this leads directly to DROPPING almost every kind of pick but the Jazz III! And my second problem was that it just didn't sound very good for acoustic guitar, which I play a lot. And it caused me to lose my colors and dynamics with hard strumming.

At the moment, I'm playing with three different V-Picks. The first is the small pointed kind, which is very analogous to the Jazz III and plays in a similar way. But the smooth acrylic surface of the V-Pick feels MUCH cleaner against the strings, and much more pleasant under the fingertips than the rough Jazz III surface. But it still sticks to your fingers as well or better than the Jazz III. My grip is even more relaxed now!

I'm playing back and forth between that and the "Diamond", which is much thicker (it's downright chunky) and has a slightly rounded tip. I spent a couple of hours last night running scales and partial chords with each pick, and I like 'em both, with a small edge going to the Diamond for now.

For acoustic, I got a large rounded Ultra-Lite, which is flat out the best acoustic pick I've ever owned! It has many of the good traits of a classic Fender medium celluloid teardrop, but even better. It's the most "transparent" (no pun intended) tone I've had for acoustic. I hear the strings, not the pick! And it's still sticky to my fingers, and my grip relaxes just like the other V-Picks. I perform a couple of songs that require very fast, loud strumming, and they've been very difficult. The Jazz III sounded and felt bad, and Fender picks made me grip so hard my arm would hurt afterward. But with the V-Pick, I can strum fast and hard AND relax my grip, so I get much more dynamics and control. It actually made me a better player.

That being said, I pretty much hated the "acoustic" V-Pick, on either acoustic or electric. It made a lot of bright, zingy pick noise I didn't like at all. I can see why it would work well for other people, but I like a "dark" pick that isn't exaggerating harmonics.

Oh, and I'm also fooling around with a medium rounded for mandolin, but I suspect I'll just use the small pointed or Diamond instead, which both work fine.

At any rate, I'm sold. I'm a believer. V-Picks help me play faster, smoother, and more accurately, with less strain and pain in my picking hand and arm. They're so far and away better than anything else I've tried that I don't know if they'll ever be beaten!

2. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

Yup, I am a V-Pick convert as well.

I used Fender Extra Heavies for many years (was big into early Yngwie,) then became obsessed with studying economy picking and switched to Dunlop Small Stubbies, and finally discovered V-Picks.

I use the medium rounded. I LOVE the fact that it has so little friction, and depending on your string attack, can produce virtually no pick noise. I rely on legato and lots of arpeggios/sweeping in my style, and the V-Pick is perfect for me!

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I never get tired of V-Pick threads, They're great products, built and sold by great people.

I'm hooked on the Screamer, but I dabble with the Diamond and Psycho too.

4. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Yeah, the FRICTION (or lack thereof) is where it wins. I've never felt anything like it from a pick. And how the pick feels perfectly smooth under your fingers, yet sticks to them like glue. Beats the heck out of Gorilla Snot!

5. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

V-Picks all the way here as well. Vinnie's favorite. Large rounded for me. FAT, singing, mid rich tone. Very cool! All other picks (now) sound thin in comparison.

:)

6. marsos52

marsos52 Member

v-picks are there any other kinds after using them nothing else compares

medium rounded are my gotos also have a pyscho and thin rounded
    next order im going to try a screamer

marc

7. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Large Pointed here! I've tried several types and after narrowing it down to the Large and Medium Pointed ones the Large wins out for the better all around pick. I like the Medium for "shedding", but the large is just better for rhythm. They sound fat (yes they do) and play even better.

I'm not kidding... best gear purchase for me in about 7 years. I love them. Believe the hype...:dude