V Pick Users?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by standingzero, Feb 15, 2012.

What is your experience with V-Picks?

1. Haven't tried them yet, but intend to.

2. I don't intend to try them.

3. I've used them, but have gone back to regular picks.

4. V-picks are now my main picks.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. standingzero

standingzero Member

So just curious....

I know you can get the starter set for pretty cheap, but haven't got around to it yet.

2. Agreed

Agreed Member

Chiming in to say that while I do have a variety of lovely picks that I use depending on how I'm feeling and the sound I'm going for, the vast majority of both money and certainly physical numbers in my pick box are V-Picks and I consider his some of the very best around (and he's a great guy too if you ever get the pleasure to chat with him!). My always-works pick is a custom thick Diamond (and an unbuffed counterpart) that he made for me without knowing if it'd work. It plays extremely well regardless of what guitar, strings, etc. I'm using and it is the most precise pick out of my whole collection. If I can't play it with that, I just can't play it :D

3. thesooze

thesooze Member

Bought five or so. Went back to dunlops. Cool sounding, just not my style.

4. steve108819

steve108819 Member

I own 8 different V-picks, but tend to gravitate back to the trusty Dunlop Ultex .60

5. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Supporting Member

I've used vpicks for a number of years and enjoyed them greatly, but over the last few months I got converted to dava picks.

6. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

I like the V pick material, I just couldn't bond with the weird shapes at all.

I've been playing with:

Gravity 2mm XL: best in tone and grip for me, I can use the pointed edge or rounded edge with great results.

Adamas Graphite 2mm: I bought some of the newer ones from Dunlop and just didn't bond with them, so I sent them back. I have some older ones that I'm selling off, and a few to hang on to. I just hate relying on stuff that I can't necessarily ever find again.

Telefunken 2mm Graphite: These are a little better than the new Adamas, but not as good as the older Adamas. I really like the textured grip and weight.

Dunlop Gator Grip 2mm: These have been 'ol reliable for the past ten years. I'm slowly trying to phase them out since they're VERY dark sounding.

Coin picks- my brother has been making picks out of Kennedy half dollars, walking liberties, euros..... His work is fantastic, and the sound is unique. I don't think I could make them an all the time pick, but they're capable of sound I haven't heard from any other pick.

Back to V Picks- I bought the set. Only liked one of the shapes (I think it was a Screamer.) Gave the rest away/lost them.

Why don't you email Chris at Gravity? He'll send you a free sample if you shoot him you address and current favorite pick.

7. gmann

gmann Member

I love 'em! Been using them for 'bout yr and 1/2 and there's no turning back, unless something better comes along.

8. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

i use V-Pick screamers and Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3's...

9. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Was a Jazz III user for a number of years. I was given a V-Picks ULP (and a Tradition Lite - great pick for 12-string acoustic IMO) at NAMM last year. Loved the feel but felt it was a bit flexible, so picked up the starter pack, and started using the Small Pointed a lot. More recently (October / November?) I ordered a few of the Small Lite Pointed, and that has completely become my go-to pick for regular playing. I still like the Small Pointed for certain tones, particularly when recording, and the ULP has a certain twangy edge that again has its uses.

10. chaz498

chaz498 Member

I have tried almost all the V-picks now and settled on the Dimension Junior (unbuffed for that "edge of a coin" tone). Absolutely love them, and I agree that they help me play better with a more relaxed grip and less pick movement. I don't think I could go back now!

11. The Kid

The Kid Member

Me too. They were nice, but I prefer the Ultex 1.0's by a mile.

12. teleclem

teleclem Member

I mainly use Screamers now.

Used to use Tortex/Jazz III.

13. shredtheater

shredtheater Member

I just found that the grip was an issue. At gigs i couldnt hold them as the set progressed. My bandmate had the same problem. I used the Jazz III style ones but i had a bunch.

14. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

I love the Tradition UL. Gotta be ruby red :aok

15. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Screamers for electric, ULs for acoustic.

16. sricabla

sricabla Member

Been using the Screamers for about two years. Great picks, but getting a little pricy for me. It seems they don't last as long as they use to. Does anybody notice the wear time isn't as long as they use to?

17. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Didn't vote as I don't really fit into one of those categories.

I've tired a couple hundred bucks worth of V-Picks. I really like the unbuffed ones on electric (the B# unbuffed in particular, with holes I drilled in it for grip), and some of the big models on Bass.

For overall use, Blue Chip picks get the majority of use from me (not exactly "normal" picks though).

18. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I've been using them nearly exclusively for 5 years now. Easily one of the best gear discoveries I've ever made. Seriously.

Large Pointed in 2.75mm with 3 1/8 inch holes drilled in the center for grip.

I've tried other high end picks and keep going back to V Picks. Regular picks don't offer the control that V's do.

19. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

I love them but they are expensive. I have had to change my whole perception of guitar picks. Used to be I just had a box of picks and would grab one or a few for a gig, sometimes they made it back, sometimes they didn't. Now I have to keep track of the damn things and I absolutely had to start buying the red ones, a dollar more but they last 2x as long since they don't get lost as easily. I use a large ruby red pointed 2.75mm, fantastic articulation. I have tried Gravity picks and purchased a few. Very similar to V-picks, I just kind of like the shape of Vinne's pointed models better.

20. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

I love mine for electric but kept my Ultex Jazz 3 for acoustics, the vpicks get too "bright/chirpy" <- for lack of a better word. Until I got my JTV-59. It has the same problem as the acoustic, I think I need to try the unbuffed V-picks but haven't gotten around to it. And since that's becoming my number one I voted the "gone back to" although when I pick up my normal electrics I still use the V pick.

[​IMG]