V-pick. Will it help?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Soundhound, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Or do I just need to practice more.

I'm a lefty, but play righty. I never thought about this until recently, that I've always had good strength and facility with my fretting (left) hand, but my picking has always, well, kind of sucked. I've always been able to do that 'buzzsaw' kind of stuff, where you get it going a million miles an hour. But the really intricate 16th note stuff at fast tempos I have trouble with.

I've done various picking exercises, but always had trouble with moving from the high strings to the low, backkpicking, if that's a term.

Since I'm too old to learn new tricks apparently, (though I'm trying, really I am!) I wondered if anyone thought these V-picks might help, or if I should just shut up and practice more. :D

2. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

I use V-picks. They have a cool tone and a nice feel. But they are no cure for technique problems.

Some guys say they play better with them. I don't find that they make playing any easier, but like I said, they sound good and feel good and last a long time.

Don't get V-picks in the hopes they will cure what ails your picking. Get them for the other benefits...and see if they help. Nothing but quality practice will help your picking.

3. Baggins

Baggins Member

The main benefit I've found from them is in ease of alternate picking (less resistance). However, in your case it sounds like you have no problem w/ speedy alternate picking. I think you'll like them, but I doubt they'll be the "fix". They may make you want to practice even more, though. The Fab Four is a good package to start with, IMHO, though Vinni could give more specific advice if you contacted him.

Enjoy.

Chris

4. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Ah well, looking for the easy way out never seems to work! I ordered the Fab Four V-pick selection to check them out. thanks y'all.

5. Baggins

Baggins Member

Let us know what you think.

6. gennation

gennation Member

I think Ed Degennaro endorses the V-pick, doesn't he? Not that he needs ANYTHING, but I wonder what his take is on it. I've never used one myself.

7. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I've heard similar claims about the Stylus Pick - a special pick that if you practice with it will turn you into a shred monster, because it forces you to do certain things "correctly".

8. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    I bought the Jam Pack has a couple of every size and type.

It's something different, but I like my fingers and nails and keep reaching for a regular heavy flat pick when I want one.

I wish I could find some Herco's up here where I live I liked them the best.

Honest Answer

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    Groovey Records

Listening to Transformer-Lou Reed

9. johnboho

johnboho Member

i purchased the pkg of v picks and went back to the one centers
    seems the jazz guys like these more

10. GA19RVT

GA19RVT Member

V-Picks boosted my playing up one full notch. I play instrumental music, blues, jazz, ska, early rock and roll. I don't do a lot of strumming or shredding. V-Pick medium changed my tone on soloing to be much fatter. Gave me more speed and definition on my runs. Easier for me to hold when I do hybrid picking.

It's just the right pick for me. Speaking of, I better go order me a few.

www.v-picks.com

11. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

great picks, I dont know if they make me better but I do like em alot.
    Worth the little extra just dont throw them to all your fans.
    I bought a bunch of different ones . I like all the different thicknesses, I do prefer the prefer one size over another but thats just me. take a bit to get used to but not long . Its not hype very good product .
    I can honestly say I really prefer them over any standard pick and I can use any that are not heavy or the feel like card board flapping in my hand .

12. gennation

gennation Member

I'd still like to hear Ed's opinion on this.

I've asked a couple of stores in the area about them and nobody has any clue what I'm talking about...at GC I could see this, but not at the locally owned music shops...they're usually up and new things they either want or don't want to sell.

13. Nick31

Nick31 Member

what's the ideal v-pick for rock shred stuff a la Dream Theater, Vai and so on ?

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I've come down to two favorite V-Picks. Medium Pointed Standard thickness for accurate speadpicking stuff (ala your Dream Theater question). The Large Pointed Standard thickness is my favorite for all around gigging. A bit better for rhythm work than the medium size IMO.

15. tbar

tbar Member

A friend turned me on the one , l liked it so much i figured id try the big fatty pick he has , thats all i use now ,
    its has helped my picking tech. quit a bit
    its worth checking one out
    MTC

16. Nick31

Nick31 Member

I just ordered a bunch of picks from them. Psycho and Psycho Shredders among others.

17. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

Marc Ribot is a lefty that plays righty. As a result his pcking technique has become part of his signature sound. I use V-pick psychos and they help articulation and speed significantly.

18. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

The V pick will probably make things slightly more comfortable for you, but no way are they going to clean up your technique. Your best bet is to get a metronome and play some exercises dilligently.

I bought a set of V-picks and played them for some time, I liked them initially until I went out and played a couple of sets which had straight sixteenth note funk rhythms. The pick seemed to slip off my grip easily due to the glassy surface.

Other than that to me the V-pick is very expressive! The variations in tone you can get from it is amazing.

19. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

great picks , they wont hurt

20. potsticker

potsticker Member

Picks are a personal feel thing. Just like there is no agreement on the "best" neck profile, there is no perfect pick.

The V-picks didn't do much for me, but I plan to try them every so often and see if I warm to them. I'm having success with something called a Dava GripTip. It feels like an extension of my fingers instead of a hard foreign object.

But to each his own; Brian May plays with a coin :eek:.

Russ