V Pick

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by UnderTheWooDd, May 7, 2008.

1. UnderTheWooDd

UnderTheWooDd Member

What are your thoughts, opinions, experiences with V Pick?

2. Godslove

Godslove Member

I couldn't find my v-pick last weekend and i was like in cold storage not being able to play..Thanks God i found it the next day...

3. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I like the smaller ones with the round edges. But at the larger gauge, I prefer Big Bear or dunlop jazz tone picks. Lately though, I have really been into picks made out of old silver coins.

But V-picks are cool although I think that sound kinda bright.

4. softclipper

softclipper Member

Speaking of plastics, V-Picks are the best picks in the market, IMO. Acrylic and Vinni's craftmanship about these picks are perfect for a speed increased, round and smooth tone. The 'famous' chirp is not a problem to me since I do not angle the pick too much, set almost flat to the strings. Depending on guitar and pickups I choose both standard large rounded or large pointed. Next I'm gonna try the 'screamer' but to me both larges are now perfect for my playing. I think that they get more effect in the sound than a few pedals around here.

5. burner

burner Member

I've never tried the "V" picks, or even heard of them until I came to TGP.
    If the "chirp" is similar to the Dunlop Big Stubbys, then I would like them.

6. plagtr2

plagtr2 Silver Supporting Member

Another convert here. Started with the lighter medium pointy ones. Big step up in "stiffness" for me & figured that was it. Got used to 'em and did not like using anything else. Then along came the new Screamer pick. Figured I would give it a try. Got a couple & gave them a run. Much thicker & did not figure I could "handle" them. Wrong. Now all I use is the Screamer pick. I find the thicker actually easier to use! Vinni is on to somthing here & you really should give the V-Picks a try. I was not sure at first, but soon saw the light! :bow

7. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

i love the small one in the fab four pack for playing electric, superb for triplets etc, I still prefer my tortoiseshell pick for acoustic, but then again I haven't tried the v pick for acoustic guitar.

8. DC1

DC1 Member

The very best improvement in my tone and playing in years, and I've been playing since 67.

He's got many different sizes, shapes and bevels, so all sorts of tones may be had. I love the medium pointed with the gentle bevel. Clear but full, with no chirp.

Try em'

DC

9. DC1

DC1 Member

10. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I finally threw the dice on a Screamer last night. Can't wait to try it when it arrives!

11. UnderTheWooDd

UnderTheWooDd Member

The Big stubby 3.0mm is my favorite pick but v pick is wayyy better. It has everything you wish the big stubby had. v pick has no drag and slides across the strings like butter.

12. UnderTheWooDd

UnderTheWooDd Member

Has anyone tried the V Shredder?

13. teleus52

teleus52 Member

I use to use the Dunlop Big Stubby for a while and decide to try a V-Picks. Oh my God! Incredible tone ... yes it's true and you must try it. I didn't realise before how much a pick change your tone. I order a medium rounded edge (most popular one!) and a Big Fattie, just for trying it! I prefer the medium rounded cause you loose some high with the Big Fattie. V-Picks rule for tone. :AOK

14. claffman

claffman Member

The Screamer is my fav. I have a few different models but that is it. I just wish they were tinted. They are a bit hard to find sometimes. :jo

15. Wooley

Wooley Member

I thought $4 for a pick was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard of, next to, maybe, making a pick that costs $4. But I didn't have anything else to waste money on that week, so I followed the buzz and bought an assortment.
    Now, I will wander around endlessly, passing dozens of picks that I've left all over the house, looking for any of the V-picks that I have, every time I want to play. I can't explain it exactly. Having a pick that is nice and thick to grab a hold of and never slips even slightly, but that doesn't have to sound like a fat jazz pick... well, it's just the greatest thing going.

16. burner

burner Member

Interesting.
    I actually haven't used the Big Stubby picks in quite a while but the ones I liked were the clear-purple..I think 3.0mm...maybe?
    I usually use .88 Tortex but I stumbled across a Big Stubby in a junk box the other day and tried it again.
    I guess I'll give the "V" picks a whirl to see what all the fuss is about.

17. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

I used to use Adamas graphite picks and switched to Vinnie's small rounded edges normal thickness and I haven't even touched any other pick for the last 4 months! I actually only have 2 of them and they've stayed safe every show! Recommendation is in order for sure! But you must promise to try them for over a few days...no immediate reviews on these. They really do change the way you think about plectrums and the nature of it's interaction with the guitar.

18. tzamosti

tzamosti Silver Supporting Member

+1...last gig I didn't bring one and had to use a "regular" pick. Man, I missed that V-pick. I panicked for a split second...I have just gotten so used to them. They're great!

19. Twin63

Twin63 Member

I've been a convert for some time now. Great picks and the best customer service around.

BTW, I use the Freakishly Large/rounded.

20. jbird

jbird Member

I just orderd 2 Screamers, 2 Medium Rounded, and 2 Acoustics!