V-Picks help shape tone as much as pups/strings/etc...?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NatDeroxL7, Jan 23, 2008.

1. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

I have found that the variety of shapes/sharpness of my V-Picks has really been a great tool for tone shaping. I've had them for about 5 months now.

I have a:

Psycho, Acoustic (I use it on electrics and acoustics), Standard, Rounded, and a Shredder (the small one)

just switching from each I can make dramatic changes in the attack of the notes, the thickness of the tone, and even how hard I drive the pups/input of the amp. If I am getting breakup with the acoustic/shredder pick, I can switch to the rounded and actually get about a bit more clean headroom just because the pick has a soft attack.

Pretty cool product that has actually become GAS reducing rather than inducing, and much cheaper than doing major changes to the instrument or amp.

However....that said, if they are ever produced in colors I might have some GAS to pick out matching picks for each guitar LOL

Anyone agree/disagree? Is it really just a placebo, and more a function of me subconsciously choosing different picking styles based on what I think the pick is supposed to do???.......maybe it is, but hey, the ends justify the means, and I like the ends!

2. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I have the same experience with my variety of V-Picks.

3. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

I ordered some this week. I couldn't ignore all the reviews any longer and I just eat up my Dunlops.

4. robbph37

robbph37 Member

I agree. I love these picks and I have tried every material I can find. I use the P. Shredder most but it is too small for me. I keep dropping it. I called Vinnie and he is amking me a larger version and he will round the tip for me just a little to keep it from getting caught. Good guy to deal with. I cant wait to get them and try them out.

5. English Jim

English Jim Member

I guess it's just me but the fact that they stop pick noise means they just don't work for me. I like pick noise - so I'll stick to my Stubies. I do like them for playing bass though.

6. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

You actually get a nice little 'ping' with the ones that have a harder attack....its actually a tiny bit annoying at quiet practice volumes, but once its cranked it adds some serious mojo to the sound

not sure what you are going for with pick noise but I don't think they are completely transparent, just very different from traditional picks

7. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Picks, v or not, have a big effect on tone. I've gone through a bunch, including the Vs and those expensive Tortex picks. I'll stick with my Herdim rubber picks.