V-picks

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jb1911, Jul 2, 2008.

1. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Here's a message that I recently posted at FDP:

"I agree the v-picks sound better than the picks that I've been using, but I get tons of pick noise, so much in fact that I can't use them. Whenever I touch an already vibrating string, I get a very loud chirp noise. I asked Vinnie about that and he said to change my pick angle. It didn't help. Wish I could use them, maybe if I get good and used to them, the problem will go away."

I'd like to update my original post. I just got an email from Vinni, unsolicited BTW with concern about my being able to use his picks without the chirp noise. I don't know, maybe he read it here, but he's concerned that I'm unable to use his picks so he's sending me a new "Screamer" to see if it is any better for me than the rounded pick that I ordered. This is without doubt the best customer service that I've ever had in my life. Vinni is a great guy. When I get the pick and try it out for a while, I'll report back.

Props to Vinni :bow

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

The Screamer works for me. And Vinni is good people!

3. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I'm all about the V-Picks. The Screamer for me. There's several theads on here about them already, but nothing wrong with another! :drink

4. jb1911

jb1911 Member

This thread is about Vinni, not his picks. He's such a great guy I had to tell someone.

5. R.D.

R.D. Member

Vinni is a great guy ! NO question ....

When I tried one of his large shredders and I asked if he could make 'em smaller, he brought out the regular shredder ! The picture on his website is the original dozen I ordered !

And when he first realized that the Accoustic V-Pick was even better for an electric, he sent me one right out of the blue.

None better as far as I'm concerned !

6. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

I agree great customer service. My ideal V-Pick is between a pointed and rounded pick. I asked Vinni if he made one or could make one like this and he recommended I take down the point a little on the pointed pick with some sandpaper. Did it and have my perfect pick I can use for chord work and leads!

7. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Vinnie is a great guy and I have had nothing but top notch service from him.

8. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Vinni is great! It's great to deal with someone who is cool AND passionate about what he does.

9. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I've been using a V-pick's for the last couple weeks and love them!
    My only complaint is I set them down and can't find them since they are clear.
    Colored V-picks would be a great addition to a great product.

10. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

OK I think I may buy some darned V-Picks but um... will they fit into the mic stand pick holder?

11. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

I bought a sampler a while back and love the feel and the tone, but agree, the pick noise drives me nuts. I've went back to using Jazz III's. Shoulda waited on the Screamer I suppose.

12. codeorama

codeorama Member

Does the Screamer reduce the noise?

I've purchased from Vinni 3 times or so (I agree, his customer service is awesome) but, I too have had trouble with the noise. Love them otherwise.

If the screamer reduces that noise, I may have to break down and try one...

13. bek

bek Member

Yeah, I have issues with the noise sometimes, but I have found the picks are making me a better player. They are ultra-sensitive, bringing things out of the guitar I never got before. Therefore, they are exposing all the nuances of my so-called "playing." I am getting better at controlling the pick/string interaction and it encourages/allows me to play with a lighter touch and better control over dynamics. The thicker the pick, the more trouble I have, as there is more pick/string interface area, so there is more to control. At the same time, there is more to extract in terms of musical nuance.

14. jhumber

jhumber Member

Just got hold of some small-pointed (nightglow) v-picks......

I'm very impressed, so much so that I'm about to place another order for some more.
    Customer service was excellent, and the picks themselves are very smooth (there's no other phrase for it).

Kudos to Vinni - he's selling a great product.

Cheers
    Jordan.

15. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Well, after I posted my photo of my agate picks, Vinni sent me a sample to try. I do have to say they're great. They don't slip out of my fingers. And after a few minutes grip the strings quite nicely. And they're within budget. So kudos to a great guy, and a very good pick.

16. brianf

brianf Member

You may love or hate his picks but just great customer service.

I had lost my gear bag at a jam. It had about 30 of my V Picks in it. I had a gig upcoming in 4 or 5 days and was a bit concerned as I have been getting so used to the V Pick. Vinnie rushed out a few to me which I paid him for later.

(Yes , I found my gig bag. Went into another guys trunk).

brianf

17. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

I tried the v-pick...mehh...not for me.

18. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I've been using the screamer for a while now and I tried my old Fender delrin picks, now I can't go back. I just ordered 4 more v-picks. Ya got me, Vinnie!

19. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

I can't use anything else. Now when I use a Fender medium I find it flappy

20. jhumber

jhumber Member

The other thing that's just dawned on me......because the V-Picks are the same on all 3 corners (well, my small pointed ones are), in terms of durability they're actually 3 picks in 1.....which when you think about it, makes them really good value for money. It also means you don't have to think about how you pick it up, you'll always have a 'playing' edge available to you.

Damn, I shouldn't be this excited about a pick! :)