V-stack in front of tube amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by llc55, Mar 24, 2006.

1. llc55

llc55 Member

Hello. Newbie here.

I listened to the website samples and really dug the tones, but: is it supposed to go well in front of tube amps? Clean? Cooking?

Thanks.

2. exodus

exodus Member

clean... its an amp sim, not a booster. tube or ss.

3. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

It works well in front of a Tube amp that is clean or semi clean. With a already distorting amps i might prefer a Hot Cake or perhaps COT50. Another thing for an already distortinh amp is a great treble booster :BEER .
    I have some V-stack clip on soundclick and somewhere ( i will post later) a clip of it infront of a overdriven Tweed Deluxe Clone :RoCkIn

4. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

It works best when the amp is clean and balanced. Some amps don't work as well as others, but most do. It was initially designed for direct recording, which it does very well, but it works equally well in front of an amp, tube or otherwise. There are lots of threads here about the V-Stack, so do a search and you'll be rewarded.

5. llc55

llc55 Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll do a search to find more info about it.

BTW, anyone with good experiences stacking od/boosters in front of it? It would be nice if it could stack with my COT50...

6. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

I don't qualify as someone with "good experiences", but I found the COT50 to be a killer pedal, one of the cooler ones out there, but I absolutely hated the V-stack. Tried two different ones, clean or pushed tube amp (Germino), DI into recording device, whatever, it was always fuzzy/buzzy thin and trebly. YMMV, but for me the two pedals are worlds apart and I have a hard time envisioning stacking them, but who knows.... -GFI

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I agree that the V-Stack isn't (oops! edit) the best match (ironically) for Marshall-type amps. They are better into other, cleaner designs.

8. threm

threm Member

I have problems finding use for my Tweedy into an amp. The Eq knob is limited; gets easily `brittle` when trying to open it up.

The best use of it so far is with the Tweedy gain on full blast going into a Stage Hog tube pedal for a Neil Young kind of fuzzy sound.

Btw How`s the Sansamp Classic going into a clean/semi clean tube amp?
    I used to have the pedal but never tried it outside of direct recording where I got some very good sounds with the pedal using a strat.

9. llc55

llc55 Member

I think Classic (Sansamp, I mean) will behave more or less like my old GT2 did when plugged in front of a tube amp: OK to nice sounds (depending on the amp used), but you need to roll off the treble knob in the pedal.

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

That's odd. My Tweedy is killer and easily holds its own with my CJOD, ProAnalog Dual Drive, and other ODs I've tried. Perhaps you're not understanding it properly, eg: there is no EQ knob per se - the Tweedy is an amp modeler, so the controls are to adjust the model's characteristics - they're not add/subtract bass/treble, like other pedals.

So the Bass knob doesn't just increase the bass, but it sets the bass factor for the model, and the Cut knob is the most critical. Get the Bass & Cut first & then dial in the Drive & Level. Try these settings into a clean, evenly balanced amp channel, using HB pickups...

Bass - 3-5 - less for tighter lows
    Cut - 6-7 - find the sweetspot, so you don't get too much edge
    Drive - 4-6 - once you've dialed in the Bass & Cut, dial in the Drive to taste
    Level - to suit