V-Stack Tweedy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratzrus, Aug 4, 2006.

1. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'm thinking of buying a V-Stack Tweedy and would appreciate any thoughts from anyone familiar with them.

Thanks,
    stratzrus

2. ungarn

ungarn Member

My buddy has one and it is a desert island pedal for him...to get dirty, filthy tweed tones it is THE pedal...the controls are rather sensitive but it is easy to get good tones...my buddy is no longer considering going the boutique tweed amp route now if that is any indication. It is a much better pedal than the V-Stack Classic (treble boosted Marshall) in my opinon.

Good luck!

3. mockoman

mockoman Member

Will it do clean?

4. stratzrus

Which tweed tones will it do? For example, will it do a tweed bassman or just the smaller amps? That alone would be worth the price of admission.

stratzrus

5. Phil Harmoneeek

Phil Harmoneeek Member

No ... no clean (I dial in mine with the gain at less then 2 & it's got plenty ...) & the dials ARE sensitive but I love mine & I stack it with a Timmy in front ... great tone w/nice dynamics.

Randall

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

It didn't work for me, too much intermod (beating) on intervals and the DI'd tone wasn't happening at all, imo.

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've been using a Tweedy since they first came out (I beta tested one for Steve), and it has remained on my board while other note worthy pedals have not. The Bass & Cut controls are the key to dialing in the 'model' of tweed that you want. I too keep the drive around 2-3.

If you want to hear what it sounds like in front of my Kingsley Deluxe 32 (4 x EL84s), check out the first two clips on my Soundclick. The notes detail which verses I use the Tweedy. Also, the third clip is using the Tweedy direct, with reverb and delay added in the mix. It's all in how you dial it in, and it's not that hard, but it can be amp sensitive, but not as much as the V-Stack Classic.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=187271

8. ungarn

ungarn Member

I don't think "cranked Bassman" is the Tweedy's sweet spot...various levels of smaller Fender amp grit is however...

9. stratzrus

My Tweedy has arrived and I really like it.

It has a more "natural" tone than my other ODs and covers blues to classic rock very well. Pairs well with a Tech 21 TM 60 for bedroom practice and helps it to sound even less "solid state combo" to me.

Used with a BFDR, I can set the amp volume right at the point of breakup, use the Tweedy to go any further, and have two "vintage" tones at my fingertips...sweet!

Now all I have to do is sell my Demonizer, Keeley TS-9 and MT2, and I'll be half way to picking up a Stage Hog.

I may have to break my one pedal at a time rule for that one! ;)

stratzrus

10. carltonh

carltonh Member

I just got one of these. My first thought was that it does almost everything *except* tweed. It can do BF clean with the gain about off, can do vintage 70s rock distortion with everything about on 5, can do near Dumble sounds, can do high gain midcut but not midscooped metal with the bass max, cut low, and drive maxed.

Then I finally found how to get it to do tweed sounds: Bass at 1, Cut at 5, Drive at 1, and Master near max.

This is all through an amp set for really clean BF Bassman sounds. The major "flaw" is the oversensitivity of the drive between 0-2 where all the low to medium low gain sounds are.

I had a V-Stack Classic that I sold only because it didn't have an AC jack and was too battery sensitive. This is better, especially in front of an amp, as long as you don't mind setting it at 0.75/10 vs. 1.0/10 on settings for fine tuning. This can also replace a Tubescreamer, Rat, or Distortion + in front of an amp. It can replace my non-fuzz ODs.

11. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

The minimal low-med gain tones with the regular Tweedy are why I got Steve to do his "Low Gain" mod for me. It opens up that specific range of OD tones, and you don't get the range from say 2:30 up to full, which I never use anyway. With this mod, there are some great low-med gain tones between 8:00-11:00 - very sweet.

Remember that this pedal is designed to 'model' these amps, but using analog custom chips that Steve designed himself - no digital modeling in software. So adjusting the Bass, Cut & Gain, changes the characteristics of the 'model', vs changing the EQ on a standard amp, ie: more or less Bass/Treble.

You can really hear and feel the differences when you compare the Tweedy directly to other pedals, which is what Carlton experienced.

Also, the V-Stack pedals were designed to be used as direct recording devices, so you can plug the pedal directly into your interface and record with it - it sounds killer.

12. carltonh

carltonh Member

Ron, have you talked to Steve about the V-Stack/First Act amps? Did FA decide to consign them to a dark corner of their website where they are only sold direct?

The only possible "good" business reason (AFAIK) to not market them or push to retailers would be if they found out that they had stepped on someone else's patents.

The V-Stack website is now totally gone, and the descriptions of the V-stack products on the First Act website are pathetically slim. Not even a good picture or list of the controls and options on the amps. Did First Act cut off Steve from the public on these, or can he still talk about them. Does he have a website of his own anymore?

13. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I haven't communicated with Steve in a while, so I can't answer your questions.

Try this eMail to contact Steve directly to find out... swebster3@cogeco.ca

14. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

I don't understand all this talk of tweed amp tone. Other than the name. The thing models an AC30 (which is does well BTW).
    Doesn't sound anything like a tweed Fender (which is what I hear when you say tweed amp FWIW).

15. soundbee

soundbee Member

Anyone have more info on the "low gain mod"?
    If you have it, can you post a pic of the guts and maybe we can figure it out...?

16. stratzrus

It's interesting to read a two year old post and see if you feel the same way. I'm not as excited about the Tweedy as I once was. Now I feel that it's a decent clean boost, but I prefer the Zendrive for overdrive tones. I also like the Keely MT2 more than I did 2 years ago...interesting.
    That sounds worth checking out. I wonder if you can still get the mod?