V1 FatBoost vs RC Boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vintagecrunch, Sep 13, 2008.

1. vintagecrunch

vintagecrunch Senior Member

I have a friend that wants to trade me his RC Boost for my older grey FatBoost and I want to hear what you guys think. I use to love my FatBoost but dont use it that much anymore, it is almost too fat for my Jtm45, but I hear some say that the RC can be sterile and "HiFi". Can the RC add a touch of hair and character to my amp and do what the FatBoost does?
    Opinions please

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Dont get rid of the V1 Fatboost. You will regret it. Its incredible.

3. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    There is a reason he wants that Fat Boost V1, IMHO the Fulltone is a better sounding booster.

TheGrooveking

4. vintagecrunch

I realize the FatBoost is a great sounding pedal for some applications, but I find it a little "flubby" with the amps and guitars I use now.

5. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

well it looks from your gear list that your using Hbuckers mostly so i can see why you havent used the fatboost much. i sold my old version fatboost and got a RC. its EQ can adapt to both single and humbuckers and yes can add a little hair if you want with its gain..set low its just clean. with humbuckers the gain knob will have a little more gain whe up high (light drive)

i say what the heck go for it. it might also help dial in or should i say out some low end flub and add some sparkle with those humbuckers (assuming thats something you might want with Hbuckers)

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The thing is I would think you could get the RC to sound more like the Fatboost then the Fat boost sounding like the RC. I always though the Fat boost was tubby and actually kind of lame for a clean boost, because it changes the tone a lot. The RC can either be really close to the original tone or quite different, I generally prefer flexability.

7. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

I only use the fatboost with humbuckers and I don't have any complaints. Ive never tried it with single coils, but with humbuckers it sounds perfect.

8. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

thats cool to hear as i found it to big on the bottom end with hbuckers for me but i was using a super reverb. ive also always used fairly low output SC's so i found the fatboost to really thicken things up in that area.i should have added that amp choice as usual will matter

i really liked a previous post that said it well on how the RC can convincinly get to were a fatboost goes but not the other way around.

9. vintagecrunch

Thats what I was looking for... My rig is pretty thick sounding as is, but when I first got the FatBoost it was, and I want a clean boost with a little hair and sparkle...

10. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

where can I see you play, vintagecrunch?

11. jamiefbolton

jamiefbolton Supporting Member

one thing if for sure. the original fatboost is far better than any of the more recent fatboosts....bad idea to make new versions....anyway....i'd hold on to it because it'll only become more rare in the future....if you want to sell it...i'll buy it...seriously

12. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

+1

I found that the bottom end bloomed too much with the FatBoost and prefer the RC Booster