V30 Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ricker, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Ricker

Ricker Member

I really can't seem to get away from these....I try all the others only to come full circle and find my cabs are loaded with v30s again.
    I just love the meat and potatoes that these speakers have...........they have that oaaawwww growl to them............
    I play lead till the cows come home and this is the difinitive lead rock speaker.
    They get such a bad rap from most here............so I swap them out and see if maybe I'm missing out on something.........they always end up back in my cabs.......
    They have a lovely tight bass.............and a smoother top-end than most....and a great OD tone.........I guess for pristine clean you can get far better speakers.........but the fatness.........I always feel my sound is so much thinner with other speakers.

What is it that people are hearing.........I mean what are the facts as oppossed to the opinions and the perceptions.
    In the same thread you will hear people say this piecing top-end.........and a bit further down you hear how much darker it is compared to the rest.

If anyone has real facts about this speaker..lets hear it.
    What frequecies are cut and which are boosted.....eg 800hz etc.............what is the prominent stuff that we hear so as to get the facts........and not the opinions.

Anyone else got v30 love or some real v30 facts...........lets hear it from you speaker junkies............
    I find that speakers are a real difficult part of the food chain.........but my heart says v30s as I always end up back with them in my cabs............

Rick

2. Shea

Shea Member

I think they sound great when I'm in the room listening to them.

But when I tried to record using a cab loaded with V30s, YOW! Everything sounded like crap. Nothing but ratty, nasty crackle. Kind of like static on the radio, kind of like tearing paper, kind of like a bad intermittent connection. Every amp I ran through that cab sounded that way. Horrible crackle. I tried different mics and fiddled with mic placement over and over. But it turned out that the cab was the problem.

O'Connor once mentioned here that at loud volumes, your own ears defensively compress what you're hearing, so you can't hear high, fizzy frequencies as well. Maybe that's why the V30s always sounded good in the room to me. But they definitely did not sound good recorded, in my experience. Now I wonder if that nasty crackle is what came out of the PA whenever I've had that cabinet miced at gigs.

I'm getting rid of those things.

Shea

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

No facts or figures here.
    Opinion- they work better with bright, scooped-eq amps tending to roll off a bit of the top, perk up the upper mids and keep the bass full but tight. My observations parallel yours.
    OK by me, except for the tendency to cone cry.
    The guitar, and player expectation, seem to be the other big factors, as usual.

4. Broken

Broken Member

I think they are a fantastic speaker for Hi-gain amps like Mesa, Diezel etc.Don't like them that much for clean, bluesy type sounds. Greenbacks seem a better speaker for that type of thing. IMO

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Like the G12H-30 the V-30 (although much more mid heavy)sounds great to me at low to medium volumes.At high volumes they both sound a bit too harsh(peaky-not bright) to my ears.

6. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I play old school classic/hard rock with a lot of high gain soloing.
    I have to have a speaker with thick mids, and the vintage 30 is the only Celestion that will cut it for me.
    Yes, the upper mids can be fatiguing, and the high end roll off can tend to make them sound boxy, but I did find a solution that works well for me.
    I run just one G12H30 along with three vintage 30's in a 4X12 cabinet. The G12H30 adds just the right amount of "air" to the tone due to the extended highs. It also takes some of the edge off the vintage 30's upper mids with it's more relaxed midrange, and also extends the low end a bit.
    Great combination, I love it!

7. sosomething

sosomething Member

I don't own any cabs with V30s, but the two Eminence Guvnors in my Splawn 4x12 sound pretty nice to me.

No slam to the Celestions - just that I enjoy the general tonality of the V30 based on my somewhat limited experience.

8. Ricker

Ricker Member

I find with certain sounds that I use ..when I stand in front of my cab I can get that thick boxy sound you refer to but off axis it dissapears............I always prefer to stand off axis with my cab and always use a plexi shield so thatmakes a hug diff aswell........I have tried a g12h30 aswell(worked well) ....but ended up with 2 v30s in a bog OS

Rick

9. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I have a pair in my BF'd '69 Twin Reverb...they repalced a set of JBL's!

I recently put another pair in a LAB Series L5, yup, they're great in that amp too!

10. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Unfortunately you can only achieve the 3 (vint 30) to 1 (G12H30) in a 4X12 configuration.
    In a 2X12, one vintage 30 and one G12H30 takes on a whole different tone. Not bad, but I like the three to one combination MUCH better. It still sounds like your playing through vintage 30's, only better.
    I wish I could duplicate that tone in a 2X12.

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I absolutely hated the Vin 30's with my Marshall DSL, but they sounded not so bad with the Reinhardt. Still, I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. I will not be buying vin 30's again.:eek:

12. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I bought one used about 10 years ago and have run a bunch of amps through it. I liked it best with a couple cranked EL-84s through it, or with an EL-34 hi-gain Sovtek. In cleaner amps, with a cleaner sound, it sounds to me like someone tearing a cardboard box. A couple times I've had it in combination with other speakers and that sounded better. I don't know whether that's because the combination is greater than the sum of its parts, or that it just sounded better because there was less cardboard in the mix. I've heard other people say they thought they were better in combination, and Matchless was pairing them with Greenbacks... FWIW, I've heard other people play through them in other amps, including 6L6 and 6V6 amps and liked the sound, so maybe there's something wrong with mine.

-Scott McKnight

13. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

V30s take time to fully break in. They sound stiff and harsh at first, but after a few weeks the mids get almost sweet sounding. I have never found a better crunch tone from any other speaker. They do not sound smooth, like a Classic 80, they are crunch machines. Makes lead playing a bit more of a challenge, but the tone is the best for classic rock IMO.

Some folks prefer the speaker to be more forgiving, but this means it will not handle a thrashing at a gig. The V30s beg for more... C-R-U-N-C-H

Currently I pair a G12H with a V30, mostly because I still play 50s and early 60s music as well as hard rock. The G12H is smoother, and does work well paired with the V30.

14. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Thats the thing. I do like both the V-30 and G12H for crunchy rythem stuff.Cranked up it sounds great but the lead tone hurts my ears:( too piercing...I dont know why Im one of the few that hears them this way? I may have a bunch of both for sale soon...

15. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

my main cab is a Bogner 4x12 with V30s. I love it to death.

One thing some players might want to look into is a cab, like the bogner, that has a tighter grill cloth. I had both a mesa and the bogner at one point, both with V30s. I thought the speakers in the Mesa were broken or had something wrong with them because the speakers had a more spitty "harsher" sound to them comparing the same head into the bogner. I came to the conclusion that the bogner's grill was filtering some of those bad frequencies people mention regarding V30s, and I have yet to find anything that sounds as amazing with my Jubilee amps.

I tried my jubilee through a pair of G12H30s to find that it was like someone took away all my upper frequencies and I sounded strangly muffled. Now, this might actualy be a better recording situation, but I have never had any issue recording good sounds with my jubilee through the bogner.

16. takis

takis Member

i have one bogner 1 x 12 cab closed back and the V30 sounds FANTASTIC!also V30 IMO sounds fantastic with fender amps too..very sweet!!my favorite speaker;)

17. thintele

thintele Member

It seems like a popular choice amongst botique builders in combos and open back cabs...which is what I think these speakers were originally designed for...BUT they also treat or age them in some way or another.

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Don't like 'em, never have, but glad you do.

19. Ricker

Ricker Member

yeah when you get used to v30s......there seems to be a hole in the freq range of other speakers...namely g12h30s and cl80s......I reckon it's about the 800hz to 1.2 K area...........The bog grill cloth is great for filtering.
    If you can tame a v30 then it's a monster speaker that is not a one-trick pony for rock and metal....I must say though I don't like v30s in a 1x12 cab.......I prefer them in 2x12 or 4x12s......i'd go cl80 for a 1x12.

Rick