• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

V30 Lovers? What power tubes are you using?

What Power tubes do you use with your V30's?

• 6L6

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • 6V6

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • EL34

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • EL84

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

BADHAK

EL34's
Can't remember what brand are in the 71 1987 but the 79 2203 has JJ's. Cab is a 77 slant with the original 55hz 30 watt Blackbacks on top and Chinese V30's on bottom.

Axe-Man

I have and am currently using EL84, EL34 and 6L6 tubes with my V30s. Love them. They just work with every amp I’ve tried them with and handle clean to mean better than any other speaker I’ve personally tried. I’m not saying they are the ‘best’ but they are such a ground all rounder and probably the best metal speaker to boot.

DGDGBD

EL84s in a matchless spitfire clone. My only V30 speaker is in that amp. I have used it in a deluxe reverb with 6V6s in the past.

Tommy_G

With no offense intended, this is nonsensical.
There are weaknesses to a simple poll for sure. Its a starting point.

Each of those power tubes has a different tonal character that is superimposed on the tonal character of the v30. I am investigating to see if there is a trendline in satisfaction with v30's as they are characteristically Love/hate. It would need to be normalized properly, which may come through somewhat in the comments.

Last edited:

halcyon

No it isn't. Each of those power tubes has a different tonal character that is superimposed on the tonal character of the v30. I am investigating to see if there is a trendline in satisfaction with v30's as they are characteristically Love/hate.
Power tubes are not the consequential differentiating factor here; it’s the amplifier circuit as a whole. As an example, a 2203 Marshall with EL34s sounds nothing like a Mesa Mark V with EL34s.

Tommy_G

Power tubes are not the consequential differentiating factor here; it’s the amplifier circuit as a whole. As an example, a 2203 Marshall with EL34s sounds nothing like a Mesa Mark V with EL34s.
In my experience, the interaction between power tubes and speaker voice is the fundamental parameter driving good tone.

YMMV, but I am trying to build off my experience in matching tubes and speakers.

dughaze

I run almost everything thru some Mesa and other brand V30 loaded cabs. Sure, it's cool to change things up a bit, but my go to's are Mesa V30 loaded cabs. I mostly use several Mesa amps with them. Hey, many good players and builders put V30's in their cabs because they are a solid rock speaker, a good aggressive sounding speaker when you need one, and much more.

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
EL34 (Bogner Shiva / Marshall JMP50 / Bad Cat Hot Clone - from an older '03 Hot Cat)
6L6 (Bogner Shiva)
KT88 (Park BN100)

:beer

Last edited:

JDthaddeus

There are no answers, only better questions
EL34's into a V30 in a Marshall DSL40cr and it sounds divine. The first combo amp I've had in 30 years that actually sounds great even at low volume.

El Rey

Double Platinum Member
:aok:aok:aok:aok

Rick330man

6L6 amps and an EL 84 Crate Vintage Club 50 head.

I don't like the V30 in a stand alone application. Every cabinet in which I have one also has at least one other speaker. My Fender Tonemaster 4 X 12" came with 4 of them. I replaced two with alnicos: one a Celestion G12 and the other and Eminence Red Fang. In my Avatar closed back slant 2 X 12", each is paired up with an Eminence V12.

They are at their best when paired with another speaker that compliments the V30's strengths.

amper

The differences in the sound between different types of power tubes are inconsequential. There is nothing about sound that can be determined merely from knowing the tube type. One must know all the variables that affect the relationship between the tubes and the loudspeakers.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom