V30 user Curious About G12-65

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jms6668, Jul 13, 2008.

1. jms6668

jms6668 Member

I would like to get the opinions of Vintage 30 fans who are familiar with the Heritage 65 speakers. We hear so much from V30 haters, and for me, not being one of them, I would like to know what can I expect if I pop in some g12-65's to go with a Jubilee after years of enjoying V30s. Do I get more/less low end? Brighter? Darker?
    Any help will be appreciated

2. Ricker

Ricker Member

I would say it will be a bit darker as the 65s don't have the same upper mids....although the 65s are mid heavy they have more mid/mids and there are more lower mids.
    I reckon 65s sound better and better as you add more of them.
    Not the best speaker for a 1x12 IMO.
    A smoother sound with the 65s...........bass won't be as tight as the v30's.
    V30s will cut and snarl alot more.

Rick

3. jms6668

jms6668 Member

Thanks Rick. My current project is a 2x12 open back combo Marshall Jubilee. I'll have to make a call whether or not it will give me enough of a full bottom in that application.

4. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

Not sure about an open back but my Jubilee sounds better to me with my V30 loaded 4x12 than my G1265 4x12. Tighter sound especially as the gain is turned up.

I do love the '65's for all my other Marshalls, especially my JCM 800's.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

going from v-30s to g12-65s in a 2x12" open back cab under my '78 marshall 2203, the 65s were darker, warmer, and quieter. they allowed me to turn up the volume and the treble on the amp, giving me better, sizzle-free crunch at the same actual volume (small clubs, you know how it is). they're also lighter than the big-magnet v-30s.

6. Dave

Dave Member

That's pretty accurate IMO.

While some may perceive the V30 as brighter than the 65 because of the V30's strong upper mids, the 65 actually has more high end, at least to my ears.

I personally like the V30 for it's strong upper mids and rolled off high end. They cut through a mix without being fizzy and their low end is pretty good too. Great speaker IMO.

7. mik777

mik777 Member

Also depends what kinda music you play... Guys like Slash like V30's while guys like Robben Ford love H12-65's

8. jms6668

jms6668 Member

Great responses. Thank you. It is good to hear the pluses, minuses and general differences on pieces of gear without sifting through the negatives. Nothing wrong with everyones opinion, but so many times I read about how good the g12-65's are coming from someone who detests the v30 and than it just becomes a bash session. It always amazed me how a speaker (V30) used by so many respected pros and amp builders can generate so much hate on a forum. I guess Celestion just shoved it down everyones throat no matter what they were looking for. Kind of like a Duncan JB. I personally like the spike the V30 has, always allows me to be heard in a band situation, both live and on recordings. In isolation, certain gear and eq choices can seem perfect, but can get lost when another guitar, a kick dum, toms, snares and a bass rig factor in. Some gear seems to work better if you can always frame it in a perfect environment and some gear is meant to shine in a working environment. I always believed the V30 was a great working, gigging reliable speaker.
    IMO, of course.
    Although the g12-65 still seems like an interesting, workable choice in the right application.
    IMO, of course

9. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

... I love my Duncan JB in my Charvel... that I used to play thru my Marshall with 4x12 V30s... :)

10. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

G12-65's are smooth are clearer. Better cleans for sure and dirty tones would be subjective. I owned a pair for a while and liked them. But then I discovered the Eminence Private Jacks and Scumback M75-HP's. I have a pair of each and I'm done with speakers. Check those out as well.

11. jms6668

jms6668 Member

Thanks for the tip. Anybody know of any quality issues with the Eminence speakers? That seems to be the knock that I've heard on them while I've been snoopin' around.

12. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I've been beatin' the hell out of an Eminence Red Fang for quite awhile now, and zero problems.

Also, my old Peavey Classic 50 4x10 had Eminences in it, I beat them for 12 years with no problems.

13. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I've owned several and have never had any issues. Are you referring to cone cry or something? I've don't know that I've ever heard cone cry anyway, from any speaker. To me, it is a myth. :)

14. jms6668

jms6668 Member

Here's an example of some Eminence issues that I've heard.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=258008

I'm still interested in the product line though.

15. Dave

Dave Member

Well, that thread focuses on the Tonespotter and in my experience the Celestion G12-65 is superior, but I've had many Eminence speakers and never had any quality issues.

I'm just curious, what aren't your V30's giving you that you hope the G12-65s, or any other speaker, will? You seem to like the V30s, why not just stick with them?

16. jms6668

jms6668 Member

Pure curiosity for 2x12 open back application. I "love" v30s in my 4x12, but I just "like" them in a 1x12 or a 2x12 open back combo. I've dealt with them for years but I have always realized that there could be something that is more suited for combo use once I do the research. My world will not end if I am "stuck" with v30's in my open back Marshalls. G12-65's have sparked my curiousity, so I had to ask.

17. Ricker

Ricker Member

Here is a bit of info that you could use.
    The more speakers you have in a cab or cabs.... the more open and extended the sound will be.
    The less speakers the more congested and boxy the sound will be......so

Mid range speakers are generally great in multiples and that is what the g12-65 was used mostly for....the more of these speakers you add the more open the mid range becomes.
    They where for a time the 4x12 speaker of choice in the 80s and they have a reputation of being one of, if not the finest 4x12 speaker made.

But in a 1x12 it may not be as spectacular.
    Better bets for 1x12 applications are slightly scooped or open mids....and speakers that have extended dynamic range in the treb and lows.

These are just general rules that seem to work for me.

Greenbacks and v30s and g12-65 I have never liked in 1x12 configs....go figure.

Classic lead, g12h30 and celestion blue and golds...are the ticket for me in 1x12s..... These speakers have extended sonic range and are more open less congested and sound less boxy in the end.

Rick

18. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

That's actually a really good theroy... makes alot of sense. I'm dealing with the "congested" sounding Fender Supersonic 1x12 at tye moment, and I was looking at the G12-65, mostly because it's supposed to be a higher-powered G12H30 (or M30?). Anyway, the Supersonic is 60 watts, otherwise I'd get a Gold or a red Fang & be done with it. Any other suggestions for an "extended sonic range" speaker, that can handle 60 watts?