V4 BETA for SPACE is out.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by crxshdxmmy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

A few bug fixes and a couple new features, including 'Infinite' decay and the new 'Freeze' mode for 9 of the 12 algorithms.

Apparently each algorithm offers a different twist on the FREEZE function, but I dove straight into DualVerb and recorded this first look:

Allegedly a more complete update will follow this beta. We'll see. More info here.

(And updates for the Factor pedals are out too, I guess.)

2. Occam

Occam Member

Cool. I have a Z Cat Freeze reverb...it's a lot of fun to play with freeze stuff.

3. crxshdxmmy

Yeah... certainly not groundbreaking stuff w/ the dual verb, but I'm really looking forward to digging into some of the other algorithms to see what's possible.

4. jb4674

jb4674 Member

So, I take it you're keeping it?

5. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Here's the skinny on the Space beta firmware update:

Space Update Release Notes

Changes in Version 4.0.0beta

New Features:
    - INF and FREEZE options added to 9 of the 12 SPACE algorithms.
    - INF causes the reverb to persist indefinitely while continuously layering in the input signal.
    - FREEZE kicks the reverb into infinite decay mode while locking out the reverb input. The dry signal is routed in parallel with the 'frozen' reverb section.
    - Each algorithm imparts its own flavor to the FREEZE function, allowing the parallel dry signal to be effected with another reverberated sound, delay, modulation, etc.
    - INF and FREEZE are accessed by Parameter Knobs and therefore can be controlled via HotSwtich, Expression Pedal, or MIDI.

Details on the specific action of the INF and FREEZE function for each of the 9 algorithms:

Hall: INF and FREEZE on all 3 Decay knobs. Use the Decay Knob to select INF or Freeze for the entire (full bandwidth) reverb. This allows you to solo over the reverb with a dry parallel signal. Use the Xnob or Ynob to freeze individual either low or high frequency bands of the reverb and solo over the frozen reverb band with a reverberated parallel signal.

Plate: INF and FREEZE on the Decay knob. This allows for a Plate slap sound over the frozen reverb.

DualVerb: INF and FREEZE on both Decay knobs (Xnob for B-decay). Also, during FREEZE the A/B mixer on FxMix is post for the frozen reverb (it is usually a pre-reverb input mixer). This allows for a myriad of options between freezing one reverb, or both, and mixing between the two.

Reverse: INF and FREEZE on the Size knob, which affect the forward reverb. This allows for reverse reverb climbs with feedback delay all in parallel with the frozen reverb section.

ModEchoVerb: FREEZE added to the Decay knob. The signal is rerouted during FREEZE to allow for parallel modulation and/or delay over the frozen section. We also added a Reverb OFF option to the Decay knob, so you can have delay and/or modulation alone.

BlackHole: INF and FREEZE on the FxMix knob.

TremoloVerb: INF and FREEZE on the Decay knob. We also made the EQ post reverb so the EQ will now affect the frozen sound (the manual says it's supposed to be anyway, but it wasn't).

DynaVerb: INF and FREEZE on the Decay knob, so you can duck, expand, or gate an infinite reverb with your input signal.

Shimmer: PITCH FREEZE and PTCH+VRB FRZ on the FxMix knob. PITCH FREEZE locks out the pitch shifters, but feeds the reverb, allowing you to freeze the Shimmer pitch climb at opportune times. PTCH+VRB FREEZE freezes everything, pitch and reverb for dry soloing on top of the frozen reverb.

Bug Fixes:
    - Blackhole: Fixed bug in which dry output 1 was -3dB compared to dry output 2.
    - DualVerb: Makes dual mono actually be dual mono on input and not just the output.
    - TremoloVerb: Now a true stereo reverb.
    - DynaVerb: Omnipressor ONLY mode can now be accessed via fine tuning with encoder.
    - Shimmer: Fine tuning of PitchDecay now works.
    - TremoloVerb: Spillover no longer looses rhythm when switching presets.
    - ModEchoVerb: Fixed bug in which the tempo-mode note-values for Echo were not correct making the delays sound out of time.
    - Improved MIDI clock IN performance.
    - Improved clock filter (CLK FLT). In previous versions, when clock filter was enabled, locking was slowed down.

6. crxshdxmmy

Yeah, that's the plan. I do have a BSR coming in next week though that I plan to experiment with... so we'll see what happens. I'm not sure I could go back to something like that, but there's no way of knowing unless I try it out.

Thanks for posting.

7. jb4674

jb4674 Member

I was kind of bummed out that Eventide decided not to offer an option for the other factors to have the space button layout for the banks and also setting a default effect for the play mode, so each time you toggled back from bank mode to play mode, the effect selected as the deault effect would be selected.

8. kevingcp

kevingcp Member

I HAVE to DL this!
    I don't know how though, I got the Space at Christmas and haven't updated it yet, how do I do this? Do I have to download software?

9. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Kevin,

How to Update

• Updating requires the following steps:
    • Create an Eventide.com Account.​
    • Register your *Factor Pedal.​
    • Download and Install the latest version of Eventide Update Utility (V1.6.1 Build 14) from the Space Support Page.
    • You will not be able to download this utility until you have successfully logged in to Eventide.com and registered your *Factor.​
    • Connect your *Factor Pedal to your computer using a standard USB Cable (not provided by Eventide).​
    • Launch the Eventide Update Utility Application. Please be patient, as it can sometimes take up to 1 minute to recognize the *Factor Pedal.​
    • Select the System Version 4.0.0 beta from the Available Updates list and click the Update button.​
    • When prompted for a username and password, enter your Eventide.com username and password.​
    • Review the Release Notes and License Agreement displayed by the Eventide Update Utility.​
    • Wait for the Update to Complete. This usually takes a few minutes.​

10. kevingcp

kevingcp Member

Thank you!

11. Occam

Occam Member

Damn...mine doesn't seem to work. I'm definitely registered but when I use the Eventide utility it says that it can't find any midi devices. I wonder if I should try hooking it up through midi instead of a usb

12. crxshdxmmy

I used a MIDI > USB cable with mine. Cheap $5 thing off eBay. But it might be charmed or something... people using the same one for the TimeLine update couldn't got mostly nowhere.

13. Occam

Occam Member

I'm currently trying the straight midi method through my sound card and it seems to be working...sort of. It sees the Space and I downloaded the update but my Space has said "UPDATE" for 20 minutes now with 0% progress.

14. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Two questions: why is it named "V4"? Were there versions 2 and 3? I can't remember seeing them. And why is it called "beta"? Does this mean it is still in an experimental stage, and that the proper update will be released soon?

15. crxshdxmmy

Allegedly.

And not sure why V4 either.

16. td2243

td2243 Member

Thanks for posting! I would find this effect to be extremely useful!

17. crxshdxmmy

Infinite Plate:

Infinite TremoloVerb:

18. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

thanks for posting those.
    i'll be honest, watching your Space demos pretty much sealed the deal for my own purchase!

19. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Crxshdxmmy's videos are awesome.

20. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

Thanks, I will be updating my Space this weekend I think. Very cool they put this out!