Vacation in Cancun, Mexico. Is it safe?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Yossi, Oct 24, 2017.

1. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

That's completely untrue. It doesn't even merit debunking for anyone that's been there.

luv likes this.
  2. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Remember you are responsible for your personal safety on all levels. We drove like maniacs on the four wheeler tour. No one said a thing. We could never have done this on a similar tour in the States. There was one Mexican guy with a back board strapped to a four wheeler. The Mexican tour guide said he regularly hauled people out with serious injuries. No golden hour, no life flight, so watch yourself.

3. luv

luv Member

This. 100%.

I've been to Mexico a dozen times.....Playa Del Carmen, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, Cancun, Sayulita. Never once had a problem or felt unsafe.

martyncrew likes this.
  4. DPEXP

DPEXP Member

I was in Cancun a month ago had a great time, felt perfectly safe. the cab I got in, at FLL now that was sketchy.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  5. Autoesq

Autoesq Member

Yes, very safe in resorts and resort towns. Local government and businesses know their economy is based on tourism and that will dry up quickly if tourists are harmed. Extra measures for safety.

6. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Chicken!

AZChilicat likes this.
  7. korby

korby Member

8. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Get drunk in the sun / I want to lay on Waikiki / Get a tan on my buns / Running from the rain / Thousands on the run...

9. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

I flew into Cancun and rented a car. I got pulled over in the hotel area as the weird u turns are confusing. The cop took my ID and said I have to go to the station to retrieve it and pay fine. I read ahead that they all pull this and you have to pay bribe money. I got him down to $40. Next day I drove down to tulum but I was a nervous wreck. I wanted to explore more but was too scared. I just took short trips into town to eat. I drove back to Cancun to dump car and took bus to Merida which was cool. I went alone and felt safe other than driving

pjs ire likes this.
  10. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

No problem. I would say to stick to your resort and the surrounding area, don’t go wandering off~ Be nice, be cool, don’t sign up for any ‘free breakfast buffet if you tour our for sale apts.’ stuff. We had a blast. It’s like stepping into a movie.

11. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure what's different there right now but something is. I'm an insurance agent and insurance companies always have their annual conventions at resorts in places like that. One of my companies had our convention scheduled for Cancun in February 2018. These things are announced a year ahead of time and part of their agent marketing and recruiting all year.

They just announced that due to crime and safety concerns that convention has been changed this year to Jamaica. I've never seen this done before in my 20+ years as an agent. Didn't over think it too much BUT two weeks later a 2nd company I work with changed theirs from Cancun to the Bahamas and also gave the reason as recent crime on tourists.

Something is definitely going on this year in Cancun that is way beyond the usual stuff.

12. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

13. Dumdeediddle

Dumdeediddle Member

Is anywhere safe ? Has it ever been ?
    My older, 70 year old brother just arrived back this very morning from a month long trip to Kathmandu helping Dentists without Borders. He had to land & take off after that at what is supposedly the most dangerous airstrip there is - Lukla, Nepal. So he could trek to Everest base camp (one of his dreams).
    Was it safe ? Probably not, but you weren't going to stop him. And he actually did much good, helping hundreds of children.
    You just wake up every day and head out that door ... it's certainly not safe in our own nation anymore
    One time, my wife and I were in a large Midwestern city, driving a pricey sports car rental. We were lost. She was driving & turned down a side street in a unfriendly neighborhood we didn't belong in. I immediately noticed a lot of folks hanging out about a block away. The moment we came around the corner, several noticed us and began running toward us. I told her "Turn around ... NOW". This very unfriendly group was converging on us and I don't think they were going to be stopping by to give "helpful directions".
    The point ? We were just driving along. Having a nice time - wrong turn and ... You never know. Anywhere

14. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

Why risk it. This country has some amazing places - go enjoy them without worrying.

I would not support Mexico with my dollars until they get their *s* together.

OddJobb likes this.
  15. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Yes, because no one ever has an issue as a domestic tourist in the US.

16. The Opera Panther

The Opera Panther Supporting Member

Was in the Cancun/PDC area in March. It was fine. Not really my favorite vacation (I’m not really a beach guy), but was my dad’s 70th, and he wanted to go. Kids loved it.

Never felt unsafe, whether on or off resort.

17. Yossi

Yossi Member

Thank you for your comments, both the encouraging, discouraging and comical.
    This Cancun trip is one of 5 all-inclusive vacations at resorts over five years, which are part of a timeshare promotion package that I bought for $850 total.
    I know that I'm not interested in buying a timeshare but for 90-120 minutes of hard sell sales pitches at three resorts and two additional vacations for up to 8 people for 7 days, it seems well worth it.
    Never having been to that part of the globe, I'm looking forward to enjoying the trips. This will be the first.

AZChilicat likes this.
  18. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

For years Cancun, Cozemel, and vicinity were hot travel destinations. I'd choose somewhere else now. There are way too many "be sure NOT to do this!" pieces of advice.

19. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Yes it is safe op...my family had a great time there recently in June

20. Mr Boggie

Mr Boggie Member

I went a few years back now for NYE. We went to Cancun, and was at a club called Christine's. My brother after the bar was taking a pee outside against a tree and some police came by saying it was against the law. It likely is. He was being all tuff guy showing his fireman badge, essentially playing the Ultra Gringo. They took him and another buddy to downtown Cancun and spent the night in the drunk tank. Downtown is very different than Tourist area. $200 to get out. He was lucky that's all they got. He mentioned while he was in there, another drunk dude/passed out and was dragged in. The locals stripped him of his clothes and left him naked on the floor in about 2 inches of scum/filth.