Vai, Satch & Petrucci Tones (what gear?)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Brian Johnston, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Looking to upgrade my Boss GT-Pro... looking for a unit that has good presets to mimic the sounds of Vai, Satriani and Petrucci. I contacted different music dealers and (of course) they all recommend what they sell. My options:

Eleven Rack
    HD 500X (or preferably the pro rack mount)
    Digitech GSP1101

I heard good youtube demos of all, and a few of the Digitech's blew me away. However, I never heard specific patches of the three above individuals aside from the Digitech and so can't comment. Any recommendations?

2. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Boss DS-1 (keeley modded)?

:hide2

3. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

4. Lain

Lain Member

Presets? No one will be able to tell you how different presets will sound with your rig. Better learn to make your own.

I would guess that most modelers can get you into the ballpark of at least their live tones. Some songs could be tricky.
    You should add in some other factors when you decide which modeler you want to buy.

If you want to copy their sound 100%, get their gear. And their hands. :D

5. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Well, I certainly want to get something that sounds close to what they sound like. I can get a bit close with the old Boss unit, but the overall quality is nothing like the newer modelers out there. I'm going direct to monitor speakers... no other gear involved.

6. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Member

They all use different gear from each other, and get different sounds. A lot also has to do with the guitars, strings, picks etc. Any of those modelers should be good if you know what you are doing regarding setting up sounds for direct monitoring. Zoom makes decent stuff too. Amp tone stacks are generally calibrated with a ~6dB boost in the Bass and Treble, and a cut in the Midrange for pretty much obsolete reasons. Don't be afraid to boost the Midrange to ~8 & Presence to ~7, and cut the the Treble to ~1-3 as starting points for a good high gain sound. Hi gain channels usually roll off above ~2kHz anyway. You won't even need a TS pedal with the right amp settings, but you might like the boost such a thing provides. Setting the level before the amp input is crucial for attack quality. Experiment with it before messing with equalization.

7. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Any comment on which of the three is better? I presume the HD Pro is nothing more than the 500x in rack format?

8. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

I never could get anywhere close to the Satch tone until I owned my Mesa amp. Then, I got that sound.
    ADA MP1 never got me there, either - even with a 50/50 Mesa tube power amp.

Main axe is an Ibanez JS2000.
    Maybe that's part of it, too?

9. reo73

reo73 Member

I have an Eleven Rack that I use with a Mesa 50/50 power amp and guitar cab. It's Mesa Mark IIC+ is pretty dead on and the Recto model is really good too. Those will get you Petrucci tones no problem. I think the Soldano SLO model is good for the more modded Marshall tones for Satch & Vai. Actually there are quite a few higher gain tones in the 11R that work really well. I also really like the JCM800 pushed with the Green OD pedal.

As far as factory presets, I never use them. But the 11R is so easy to edit.

10. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Great Vai and Satch sounds can be had using a Zoom G5 or MS-100BT. You can also get a great clean an lead Allan Holdsworth sounds from those units.

As for the 500HDX thing, I don't care for the amps. To my ears there is some sort of funky, gunky tones riding underneath the amp tones. That said, Glenn DeLaune sells some great presets for Vai and Satch. Look him up on YouTube to hear samples.

11. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

You know... I heard a comparison of the HD Pro and the Eleven Rack, and the Eleven Rack sounded better with regular rock tones and clean tones. When it came more to the metal stuff, the HD Pro sounded more organic or natural. But that is with Youtube (sometimes it's hard to tell on those videos). I'll looking into some Zoom stuff as well. Thanks.

12. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Another Eleven advocate here. Nails the MKIIC tones easily and as above.. easy to edit. I run mine through a GT1000 amp into either a couple of 4x12's or a pair of Matric Q12's. Outstanding.

13. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

I own and like the 11R and there's even a guy on YouTube with a name like VaiSatcharucci who's got some great 11R patches, so you can definitely get there from here.

That said, I'd probably get the GSP1101 with the mustbebeta firmware if it was between those two. Two reasons: it's half the size and the GSP1101 can load third party IRs.

But you can't go wrong. :)

14. rjohns1

rjohns1 Member

I can nail Vai with my GSP1101. The beta firmware has a model for his Legacy amp, and it is spot on. I owned a Legacy, and it is identical.

15. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Hard to beat the 11r. Bunch in the emporium for $300ish

16. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

I picked up an 11R for $315 in the Emporium. The Digitech was a super close second, but I'm getting this for about $300 less than a new Digitech unit. However, I say that without knowing the import charges into Canada, lol. Thanks to those who responded!

17. reo73

reo73 Member

Congrats! How do you plan on running it?

18. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Direct to a mixer and out my Rokit 8s. About as lackluster as you can imagine. I have amplifiers, but playing and recording in a home environment, I just don't use them anymore and prefer the direct tones of equipment. My sound generally is OK, but I'm using older technology and believe (think, hope) something more current will give the sound more edge and quality.

19. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this, but both Vai and Petrucci use the Axe-Fx for effects and even amp tones from time to time. If it's in your budget, you can sound like them and Satch, and anyone else for that matter.

20. wcfields

wcfields Member

Probably just GST, but you never know....I've had a few weird surprises before (mostly from UPS).