VALClOne 1624T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dbeeman, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Hey TGW - I know clips only get you "so far" when trying to understand how an amp performs. But if there's anything that you're wondering about that isn't covered in one of our clips, let me know and I'll see if I can't do another one that includes that.

2. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

an update

I have tried several different speakers with my ValClone.... several where the holy grail.. for a week.
    The amp does well with many different speaker styles.

Original Jensen P12N - great touch sensitivity with that sharp Jensen "crack" and "snap" on the upper mids

Celestion Creamback in an external cab. The mid breakup on the Cele worked well. Larger external cab helped bring the bass up for this speaker

WGS C12S - had enough bass in the Valcone cab. Smooth American style top end

Scumback H-55 in the Valcone cab. Plenty of Bass, softer high end with the great English mid range crunch. I have yet to try this combo on a gig but will soon. I have a few different G12H types. I also like the standard Scum H-75. The Cele heritage G12H 75 hz is good, with a little sharper, harder treble.
    The standard Cele G12H will work for some. It was a bit harsh in the high end for my setup.
    WGS KTS60 and KTS 70 were great. - I need to get more time on those for a good comparison.

The thing about this amp is it responds like a large amp turned way up. The feel, the sustain, tone is all there at less than earbleeding volumes. I will crank it at my house without fear of annoying my neighbors (too much). I don't dare do that with a larger amp for more than 5 or 10 minutes

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  3. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Doug! I got one of these as well, and it is a damn fine amp. Thanks to Leon!

I bought mine last November when I was trying to find a small amp to work as a grab-n-go for the odd gathering or last-minute jam situation. The problem being I have so many other amps that this one got lost in the muddle and I havent really had time to explore its potential.

The amp has a British flavor that old tubes take great advantage of; the effect is increased by use of pedals built to enhance that vibe and, for that purpose, I use aTech21 Oxford. The Valclone, an Oxford with a good battery and my trusty tele is everything I need for a grab-n-gofor most any music style; I just ride the volume.

To start, it was boxy; I was hoping I had a speaker that needed wear-in time, and I got tired of that rather quickly. The key with this amp is the use of the right speaker as *you* determined. Initially, a little boxiness was charming but made me uncomfortable - different speakers seemed to eliminate or enhance that and contributed to make the amp more pleasant. Some speakers just made it sound boxier than others.

I tried a number of speakers some of which I didnt think would fit the amp in an attempt to improve what I had: Jensen P12P, Weber Thames, Celestion G12-30, Celestion Creamback, Weber Blue Dog ceramic - then a Celestion Blue at 15 watts. I love the amp now, perfect G&G.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  4. dbeeman

LFB;

You found the Cele Blue to be optimum? That is one I have not tried. I did use a Gold which has some charm but lacked the low end in some situations

I am running a Celestion Heritage G12-H. I have found this to be the best match in the combo cab, so far. However, I just got a WGS C12 seamed cone version to try. I also have a 1 *15 cab from stagecraft running an original Jensen P15N that fills out the bass/low mids more than the 12" Jensen.

I found the Eminence Eric Johnson speaker to be a good match as well. I'd really like to try the Emi George Alessandro speaker with it.

Last I talked to Leon, he was cooking some different models. Maybe he will see this and chime in...

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

LFB - you're the second customer who's told me the amp sounds great through a celestion Blue; I really need to try that one of these days...I'm just scared I'm going to blow it with one of my pedals.

My own favorites are old Jensen C12 and P12Ps and the stock Emi speaker we use....but really it's a matter of situational needs and personal taste, like everything else really.

Doug - I'm making other stuff all the time....but not using the Valclone name, which is really my partner's thing. I really like the Fender Harvard type amp I made recently; that's been very useful for me too. My favorite, however, is still the amp you heard at Ron's in January - the 1688TN.

6. dbeeman

Cool Leon. That LC 1688TN was a nice tone and feel.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  7. dbeeman

Been using the EMI GA SC64, and WGS G12C, G12C/S and g12q. Each goes great with the amp, but in different ways

8. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Great and inspiring thread. Have to check into these things. I love my quirky pair of Silvertone 1482s, played at the same time. Have to check out a Valclone one of these days. Are there any around Seattle or Snohomish?

Steve

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

10. neils

neils Supporting Member

More clips, we want clips!!!!!

Neil

11. McQ7

McQ7 Supporting Member

Your posts about speaker differences in this amp are so useful! Would you mind elaborating about your experiences with the WGS G12C, G12C/S, and g12q? Thanks!

12. dbeeman

Here is my take on some speakers

Original 60's Jensen P12N - In your face with some bite. Not a lot of low mids or bass - more of a classic Marshll sound with this circuit, without the thump
    WGS G12 C/S - more lows and mids , but smoother, but still upfront sounding
    WGS g12q - more treble than the Jensen. Breaks up in that kind of trashy cheap speaker way

EMI GA SC64 - highs are still there but lacks the papery quality of the jensen. more lows and mids - kind of a cross between a celestion and a jensen

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  13. dbeeman

Really liking the EMI GA SC64, has a great frequency balance for this amp. Enough high end articulation, but still smooth and sweet, A bit more open sounding than the Cele G12 H heritage, which is also good

14. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Supporting Member

More open than the G12H Her, does that mean brighter.., or ?

15. dbeeman

not as bright as a G12 H 30 to my ears, likely less upper mids, so that higher end has more definition / openness

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  16. dbeeman

trying the Celestion A type soon

17. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Supporting Member

Just ordered one this week, cancelled it right away after reading the high-end cut-off was rather drastic.
    Now awaiting the GA64....

18. barunling

barunling Member

I like ASW KTS-60 and an ASW recone of a Celestion greenback best. [​IMG]

19. dbeeman

back to the GA-SC64 in an external cab. Have that mid range "touchiness" and crunches great with this amp.

Tried the avatar light mag, seamed cone 12. If you want that cheap speaker thrash, it has it.