"Value" Depends On You.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LSchefman, Nov 16, 2005.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I raised this issue on the most recent TR thread.

What would you rather have? A bunch of amps to cover your tone jones, or a single amp that that covers your tone jones, even if it costs a lot?

You see what I'm getting at, no doubt.

It's a question of what floats your boat. And that's going to be different from player to player. THERE IS NO RIGHT AND WRONG, it's a question of choices.

If your total amp budget is X thousand dollars, and you buy five amps, and mine is the same and I buy ONE amp, what kind of deal is it to be critical of my choice? I'm no crazier than you are.

That's just wrong! :D

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You had me till the budget comment! I can't imagine a single amp that can make all the sounds I hear in my head (nor a single effects pedal), so I have a stable of several:cool: I have no problem with someone spending $5k or $25k on an amp, although I haven't met a $25k amp which I felt was worth the money from a tone point of view...

3. RevolutionMan

RevolutionMan Member

I think I'd rather have a bunch of amps, but only a handful.

There's some players that are just shredmeisters, that's the guy who probably is cool with just one amp. I think most of us get to a point where we pare it down to 2-3 amps that cover the tonal ground we need. Typically it's something to cover the marshall, fender, and vox thing most good players need/want.

budget wise, I think you can get a real decent rig for reasonable costs if you do the looking. Like anything though, you get what you pay for. I've met a lot of cheap amps that I disliked, but not many expensive boutiques that I disliked, however many of them were not exactly what I was looking for, but still were mighty impressive in one way or another.

Then there's always the gig stuff, and the home stuff, I think because of this you end up seeing people buy more amps even when they have great stuff already.

4. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Les, I honestly couldn't care any less what you or anyone else pays for an amp other than if you're buying it from me of course. I mean this post in a very good way!

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I would have been in the "a couple different types" camp but since I got my new amp (expensive channel switcher) I'm not too compelled to look anymore. I think value is all in the eyes of the individual. For me, selling all my overdrives and my amps to get this one amp which does everything better then what I had before for the same price is a good value. Sure it cost me the same price as everything I owned (accumulated value of all items added together) but it seems worth it to me. Maybe one day I'll look at the amp and go, "Wow that's alot of cash sitting there" but right now turning it on is more than worth it every time I play. There is no right or wrong answer, it is a trick question.

6. mude

mude Supporting Member

lol. :dude

Clearly, there is no right or wrong answer to Les' question IMO.

For me, dollar/value question is related to what you get for your money based on how it works for you. It is not at all clear that the more you spend, the more you get when it comes to amps. Some expensive amps are very good. Some dramatically less expensive amps are very good.

A well respected player that posts on these boards loves the Pitbull 45 for example. I don't think he is playing that amp because of the low cost. Obviously guys like Tag think some of the finest cleans in the world are delivered by Fender at fairly low prices. So, I don't think it is a slam dunk that you need to spend a ton to get some really fine products.

If the point is that the Onyx Signature model is the best "swiss army knife" amp on the planet, I don't have a strong opinion as I have not played one (I have played the older ones).

For me, I like the flexibility of having a head/cab rig and a combo. So, I do like having more than a single option. Forgetting vintage stuff (investment potential) from this discussion, with a set amount of money, I prefer having a few choices in that I have not found a single amp that would be my favorite for all applications.

Evan.

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I think you guys are missing my point.

My point is NOT that it's better to have one amp than several. My point is NOT that my one TR is better than 5 other amps, or any number of other amps.

My point IS that if you have 5 amps, great. If I choose to have one amp for the same budget you spent on those five amps, also great. Do your own thing. I'll do mine.

It's personal choice. No right or wrong.

That is all.

Live and let live. Simple. I think we forget it around here sometimes.

8. mude

mude Supporting Member

Les - you gotta remember that we are just a bunch of dumb gearheads!:D Can't expect to figure out all your subtle notions.

If all you meant was, do whatever is right for you, well.......duh......I am in agreement. :)

Of course, bantering about gear with different opinions and approaches is part of the learning/entertainment of a forum like this I think. Other than some mild name calling and "motive" questioning from the Two Rock camp on the other thread, I thought it was in good fun and kind of interesting. Those that didn't obviously should read something else.

People like spending time complaining about threads instead of ignoring them for some reason. Or, they take a position of "don't comment on XYZ, but I will comment on you commenting about XYZ." LOL.

Evan.

9. MVrider

MVrider Member

Like you say, depends.

If one really *can* get something out of loads of amps, by all means go for it.

At this point I realize all the gear in the world won't make up for my musical limitations.

If nothing else, it's nice to have a backup.

10. Antero

Antero Member

I think, really, I only need one... only one channel, even. I'm not very demanding... I do play a wide range of styles, but all I ask from an amp is a good clean and a good snarly-semi-distortion. That's it. I want heavy, I have fuzz.

I'm also completely OCD and too many things to tweak would drive me batty.

11. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

No, you changed your point in the middle of the stream. Your initial post raised the question "What would you rather have?". No one knocked your preference for a single amp that does it all, they just posted their preference for multipal amps. This in response to your original question.

I agree, live and let live is good, let those of us who prefer multipal amps state such.

Me, I wish I was like you, where I could get it all in one amp. And I can if I narrow it down to my single most favorite tone. But I have played a hell of a lot of amps, and build amps, but for me, I've never heard a single amp that can do more than two very different tones well. Saying that, I still respect your right to say you found the single amp that does everything you need.

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Here is what everyone is stepping over but not saying clearly:

It's all good.

Just that simple. I just went through another purge/binge with amps. Why? My needs changed. Simple as that. The bands I am in, the gigs I have to play dictate what amps/tones I need. If I don't have bands/gigs dictating what I need, I just get what I want. Sometimes you can mesh the two. But when you join a band and your amp of choice isn't the right tool for the job, it doesn't take a rocket scientist (or a lawyer) to figure it out. No emotions attached to it, you just change up the flavors, swap some things in and some things out and viola - go make music.

In the end, it is about balancing your needs, wants and wallet. Simple as that.

And hey, it's all good.

So stop mucking about and play some music. :D

13. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Personally, I need multiple amps to cover my tone jones.

Same with guitars.

14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I can't imagine having one amp that does everything I need it to. But that's just me and there's no reason why the next guy shouldn't feel completely happy with one...regardless of what it cost.

Value definitions are as subjective as definitions of "good tone" or "good music". If something seems like a good value to person A, there's no reason why person B needs to agree. And if person B doesn't, this shouldn't matter to person A, if he's happy.

15. macula56

macula56 Member

i use one amp every gig. same amp. with different pedals. it's a bassman that i rebuilt. great clean to sort of dirty tones. add different od pedals and it becomes different amps. if i had a ton of money and a road crew i would go back to my old multi amp setup. very cool tones. but i can get most of them with my present setup. it's all about what you as a player like. one amp or five. makes no difference. whatever works for you.