Value of `59 -`62 PatPend Grovers ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by WahmBoomAh, Sep 6, 2008.

1. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Just restored a 335 to the original correct Klusons ,,,Found myself with a perfect set of nickel pat pend grovers that are the same as a set on ebay listed by thepartsdrawer as 59-62 . Their`s are gold plated and are up for 350 bucks . I hoped the nickel would go for more since they`d be the correct color for the LP standards ...It`s actually my brother in laws` guitar and tuners so I`m doing research via ya`ll to see what we`ve stumbled on ...any ideas on the market value ? thanks, Paul

2. David Collins

David Collins Member

I sold a complete set of the '56-'58 Pat. Appld. about a year ago for $950. They were very good condition, complete with original grommets, screws, and original single ring buttons. No idea what they would have sold for had they actually had the patent number.

You'll need to date your tuners a bit more accurately to figure their value though. By late '58 the patent number was stamped rather than "pat appld", so yours would be before that. Clay has all the details on his site you should need to accurately date them. Try looking over here.

Devil's in the details. Little differences in construction and condition can make a big difference in value.

3. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Hi David ,,,thanks once more for your informative posts .,,BUT ,Are you referring to Klusons? These are sealed Grovers with a pat pend. stamped on the center round part on the back . They look like the typical grovers used to replace so many klusons over the years on the gibsons (with one mounting screw only ) except they have the patpend stamp ....full set with washers,nuts and screws in aged nickel .I`ll check the provide site too ...thanks man

4. David Collins

David Collins Member

Sorry, I did think you were talking about Klusons. As to the sealed tuners, I really have no idea of their value or how to accurately date them. I have a feeling though, that for this style the nickel ones may not have any greater value than the golds. I'm really not sure - hopefully someone here may know.