value of 69 straight cab and pre rola greenbacks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gbdweller, Jul 15, 2006.

1. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

Hello,
    I'm new to this forum. I've been reading and found some great info so far. My question is this. I have a '69 4x12 straight front cab in very good condition. The 4 original T1221 25 watt greenbacks are pre Rola with LB11 date codes. They have not been re-coned and are in excellent cosmetic and functioning condition. I also have 2 loose '69 greenbacks (MB22) that are in the same condition. Any idea what these are worth?

I should mention that my father was the original owner and passed them on to me. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jim

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

The value of such a cab will depend on it's condition, and the verification of it's authenticity (naturally)... got any pics you can post?

3. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

Thanks for the reply. I've read a few of your posts and figured you would be the one to know. I am currently charging my batteries so will try and post some pics tonite. The cabinet is in very good condition. Original casters and a few minor tears in the tolex. The rear panel has the screw holes doubled due to stripped screws but is otherwise intact. There is the name Bob and a pencil sketch of the GB flag written on the inside bottom which I thought was pretty cool. The speakers are in excellent condition.

4. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

Here are the pics. The two loose greenbacks (not pictured) I have are from the matching slant cab (now with 4-vintage 30's) which I use on stage due to it's value being decreased by a few modifications. The mystery is what happened to the other two greenbacks. My father doesn't remember but I think he may have used them in a homemade monitor over 25 years ago, which has since disappeared. Too bad.
    [​IMG]

5. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

Uh oh. Looks like my picture link isn't working. I'll try again.

6. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

Here are a few pics.[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

gbdweller, please check your PMs. :)

8. Scumback Speakers

The construction of your cab is the same as the 69 1982 cab I had (which I sold last year for $4000 with the T1281 Pre Rola 014 cones).

Assuming no voice coil rubs, noises or vibrational anomalies, I'd put that cab's value @ $3000-3500. If it had G12H30 T1281 55 hz or T1217 75 hz cones, it would be worth more like $4000-4500. However, there are alot of folks who prefer the G12M Pre Rolas since they break up sooner and have a more pronounced midrange, so it's not like those speakers aren't worth some real money.

Nice cab, put it on eBay, or offer it up here, as the old wood DOES make a difference to most folks, and that one has nice appointments, and not much wear to the tolex.

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Let the feeding frenzy begin! I have a similar one, in not as clean shape. Picked it up for $300. Probably the own great deal I'm ever gonna have! These are great sounding cabs.

10. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

Great sounding indeed. I just can't bear to use it live because it is in great condition. I have the matching slant from the stack which I stupidly cut a hole in the back of 20 years ago to add a convenience outlet. What an idiot!:eek: Ah, to be 19 and in love again....:D

11. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I'll take it off your hands for $500!

12. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

Sold!...:messedup

13. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

$3000-3500/$4000-4500 for a speaker cabinet?!!

Ok, that is officially the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. I'm sorry but man, no speaker cabinet is worth that amount of money.

14. Scumback Speakers

Correction, no speaker cabinet is worth that much TO YOU. There are plenty of people who want the real deal to go with their $5000 67 Plexi head, you're just not one of them, or so it seems.:)

15. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I'd pay it. Ridicule away.

16. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

I agree with jim, something is worth as much as people will pay for it. The prices are being driven up, just like a lot of other stuff. A few years ago my dads friend sold a cbs strat 73 i think, for 600 bucks now people are getting over 2,000 for theirs. People can argue all they want but its the same argument we have seen over and over dumbles and trainwrecks being the usual discussion.