Value of '90 G&L ASAT Signature in mint condition?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by French Fry, Feb 6, 2008.

1. French Fry

French Fry Member

Hi, I have a '91 G&L Tele I'm looking to sell if it's worth it.

100% original, and I can't find a nick or ding anywhere. It sits in it's case, under the couch. (I don't care for fat necks, and this one isn't huge, but too big for me). OHSC, original case candy too.

Transparent blonde finish on (Swamp?) Ash. It's the Leo Fender signature model.

I'm wondering if it's got some extra value because it was made before Leo died, and from what I've heard, quality went down a bit thereafter. Regardless, it sure has awesome tone.

Of course it's probably only worth as much as someone will pay for it, but I'm curious.

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. archiestone

archiestone Member

3 or 4 bolt neckplate?

3. crazy4blues

crazy4blues Member

You could shop it around on the Guitarsbyleo.com page. You'll get some bites there for sure. I would guess around $1,200.00 to $1,500 depending on condition. The natural finish is a plus. Some GbL'ers really lust after the G&L "period" pieces; some guys only collect the Signature Models, so you might actually find a knowlegeable guy who is truly willing to give you a good, fair price--if what you have is what he really wants . . .

4. archiestone

archiestone Member

An ASAT Signature ebay auction recently closed with a Buy it Now of $1000. French Fry, Yours is an ASAT Classic Signature, btw. Most important for collectibility is that the signature be on the body (not neck) and that it be 3 bolt. After Leo died in March 1991, Leo's widow requested BBE not to issue any more G&L guitars with Leo's signature on them.

5. French Fry

French Fry Member

Thanks guys. It's a 3 bolt neck.
    I've checked out the guitarsbyleo.com site a little bit. Looks like there is good activity ad information there, but the site presentation is pretty lame, so I lose patience quickly. I'll check it out though.

6. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

If you want it to sell fairly quickly, I'd say $850-1000. I've seen them sit for years priced at $1400ish.

7. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

I really like the Leo-era G&Ls (I own two) but the quality of G&L guitars did not go downhill after Leo's passing which is why the value on most of the older ones, particulary those still in production, has not risen sharply. The finishes on the BBE-era guitars are actually superior to those on earlier models while many prefer the higher output pickups and find the newer necks nicer.

The ASAT Classic Signature was built in 1990 and 1991 (I think all Signature models were discontinued in early 1992). If yours had a gold Leo signature decal rather than the black it would be a rarer instrument and worth a bit more.

I agree with the previous poster as I usually see these sell in the $900 to $1,000 range but I would imagine they could fetch a few hundred more as prices on these beauties does appear to finally be going up a bit. A year or so back you could still pick them up for under $750.

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

agree... quality def. has *not* gone down post-Leo.