Value of a 1966 Blackface Princeton?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kekaiakea, Jul 19, 2008.

1. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

Local seller, asking $1000 for 1966 Blackface Fender Princeton. Insides: New Power Transformer, recapped, re-tubed, non-original speaker, no footswitch. Outside: grillcloth looks really bad, torn and shabby; faceplate scuffed and beatup, tolex in bad shape too. But it sounds great :D. Value?

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

that would sound right for me if it was in good shape. If it looks shabby and has a non original speaker you should probably be looking in the $800-900 range.

3. mbratch

mbratch Member

With replaced PT and replaced parts as listed? I'd say more like $700. See the web site below for average going prices on eBay.

But the meaning of "value" can vary depending upon your reference point. If you really love the amp, then it's value may very well be $1,000.

4. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

I guess I mean is "what-people-are-paying-for-this-item-today". I was thinking that he could knock the price down a few hundred bucks....

5. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

wow, cool website mbratch :AOK thanks for the info!

6. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

That beat, and with the changed transformer, $700 is even a bit high.

7. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

Princeton or Princeton Reverb?

If it's a Non-Reverb Princeton, that's waaaay too high for one with a replaced PT. Mine's a 65, it's a little beat around the edges and i got it for $500. Mine had the original speaker (shot) and tubes, too, and no replacement transformers.

If it's a Reverb, I still think that's a bit high. I'm with mbratch and Satellite....I'd offer $700 and see what he says.

cheers,
    wade

8. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

$500 and it had all original guts? nice deal!

The one I'm looking at is a Princeton (non-reverb). with bad cosmetics, non-original PT, tubes, caps, and speaker, is $600 an insulting offer?

9. mkg

mkg Member

Not insulting at all...in fact, sounds like a generous offer given the condition of the amp and the replaced PT.

10. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

Thanks! i bought it from a coworker who said he'd rather see it go to a friend who'd use it than stick it on ebay for maximum profit. he turned my cash into saddlebags for his sportster. win win situation. and he's got first right of refusal if i ever sell it.

i just noticed that you're in Hawaii. That's gonna have an effect on the prices you're going to see (versus those we see in the continental US). With that in mind, the $1000 he's asking is still way inflated, but i'm not as shocked by it. Supply and demand.......and i suspect supply is lower there.

Good luck--remember that "sounds great" is really what it's all about. :banana

cheers,
    wade

11. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

yeah, we have limited supply here in the islands. Not a whole lot of selection. But what comes with that is there aren't a lot of people who appreciate the kind of stuff that goes around on TGP (consumers don't buy it, so stores don't stock it). :puh

Finding vintage or boutique gear in Hawaii is difficult, so much so that I often end up just ordering something from the mainland just to try it (then ebay it if I don't like it). So when i find something good here in Hawaii, I usually snatch it up!

Still, I'm not gonna pay that much more than you guys would. :crazy