Value of a 1979 LP?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by klatuu, Apr 29, 2015.

1. klatuu

klatuu Member

Have an opportunity at a 3 pickup Black Beauty custom from 1979, very good condition, all original. His price seems a bit high to me for a '79 but looking for some input.

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

it'll be on the underside of the guitar

3. sleep

sleep Supporting Member

Norlin = low frets, heavy, possibly thin neck. Have you had the opportunity to play it?

Once you start getting close to $3k you can find an R7 like this one which sold for $2800 on eBay.

Value? Hard to say without any pictures, but I wouldn't pay over $2k for a '79. Having owned quite a few Norlins (and having nothing against them, I actually like them) I don't see any value added by the age of the guitar. A Historic will probably be a nicer guitar overall.

4. klatuu

klatuu Member

He's got two far sale: the 3 pickup black beauty for $4k, and a mid 80's black Custom for $3k

I have no interest in the 2 pickup custom, but I once owned a '68 3 pickup black beauty when I was 18, and for nostalgic reasons would like another. I've got an R9, had and sold an R8, and have owned a few Norlin era guitars in my day, so I'm familiar with the possible pratfalls.
    $4k is way too much money for the guitar, but maybe a reasonable counter offer based on actual value, could get a deal done.

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I think they make better guitars now than in the late 70s for the most part.

Those prices are way more than I would spend.

6. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Member

Wrong, that's the output.

7. Bankston

Bankston Member

Those asking prices are ridiculous.

Old does not equal vintage.

8. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

9. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

If it's a factory 3 pickup in good shape, I'd say $3000-$3500

10. custom53

custom53 Member

Depends on if it calls your name when playing it..

11. bkatx

bkatx Member

Seems crazy high to me. But I definitely understand the nostalgia. I couldn't imagine paying more than 3k though.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've looked into the 70s customs since a friend was selling one. For a 3 pickup, $4k isn't completely out of the picture. It's not a bro price for sure, and if I were paying ALL the money I'd like all the benefits: case candy, mint shape, 1 owner, no changes, perfect frets... Anything less than that you'd be better off getting a more recent guitar. The 2 pickup for $3k is more market range.

13. klatuu

klatuu Member

[​IMG]

these are the two guitars, though I'm not really interested in the 2 pickup guitar. Notice the sharper cutaway on the 3 pup guitar. I think I read the Norlin sticky at Mylespaul and there was a mention of some Norlin era guitars with this. Both have the fine tuners on the stop bar.

14. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Right, the late 70's-'82 bodies had a squashed/deformed quality to them. Everything was moved towards the butt. Check out the stop bar in relation to the knobs.

In 83 they returned to the traditional cutaway and more traditional pickup spacing and bridge position.

15. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

People can ask as much as they want. What they will sell for, who knows.

I see many 2 pickup Norlin's in good+ to great condition in the mid 2K range, more for burst/wine than blacks/whites. Seems most 3 pickups I've seen people are asking the low to mid 3K range.

Unusual ones like the white front/black back, 25/50, artist of course can be higher.

Remember asking price and selling price can be as far as 50% apart in some cases.

You may want to check the 3 pickup to see if it was 2 pickup model routed for the third. I've see a couple of them over the years.

Here is what looks like a nice 79 25/50 on mylespaul:
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/mem...0-gibson-1979-25-50-anniversary-les-paul.html

I know nothing about the guitar or the seller, but if I was looking for one.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  16. pbmw

pbmw Member

I have a 78 black two PU one
    I'd think $2500 would be the number. Or close...