1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Value of a '56 LP Junior...?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dave Orban, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I have what I believe to be a '56 Junior (serial # is gone). Refinned, except for headstock front, with a mediocre attempt at a TV finish (more of an opaque Ivory than TV), which has some ill-conceived attempt at relic-ing (some light, blade-cut checking and ersatz arm wear. Would definitely benefit from a pro refin....)

There do not appear to be any breaks or issues with the wood.

Guitar is medium weight.

Pickup and controls are original (great-sounding, fairly hot P90), although the jack has been replaced, Grovers added, strap-pins replaced, repro pickguard and has a Wilkinson adjustable wrap tailpiece. Recent pro refret with 6105s, and relatively little playing time on the refret... Contemporary, aftermarket hard case. Plays and sounds just like a Junior should.

I'll try to take and post some detailed shots, but here's one of me playing it, from a couple of years back...

[​IMG]

Any thoughts on a range of value for such a piece...?

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

LOL!

Unfortunately, I may have no choice... :(

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Dave, my guess is it's probably worth at least $200.00. And because I'm feeling generous, I'll pay you 4 times that right now for that guitar. Cash on the barrelhead. That's right you heard me: 4x200.00!! Let's do it.

:p

4. eric102673

eric102673 Member

I'll go $850 and a new genuine Gibson pick right now. C'mon, that Leon guy's trying to lowball ya!

With all the other changes, but unbroken.... my guess'd be around the 2K mark.

-e.

5. Mac Daddy 355

Mac Daddy 355 MilkBone Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Dear Dave

The Les paul Jr market is going crazy

I've seen a big rise in the last few years with orig Jr's

Sunbursts & cherry's going for as much as $6000 + ,, depending on cond,weight & year

On the other hand TV Jr's are commanding even a greater amount $8500 +

Its very hard to put a price on your Jr ,, it sound like its a great player & thats how it would be valued as

Jr's are honest guitars , what you put in to them you get back double in tone

[​IMG][/IMG]

:)-D

6. Grap

Grap Member

[​IMG]

Jr's are very cool guitars. They make you work a bit as well. No hiding places on a Jr... ;)

7. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Thats a beauty Dave. Dont sell her if you dont absolutely have to!

8. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Beautiful guitar Dave! I would hang on to it if I were you. M.E.

Wanted to share my baby!!

[​IMG]