Value of a '89 Gibson Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lightningsmith, Jan 31, 2008.

1. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

Does anyone know how much Gibson LP Standards made in 1989 are worth? I'm unfamiliar with Gibsons but know certain years fetch a higher price over others.

There's a guy who's selling his '89 Heritage Cherry Sunburst LP for around $2050, all stock with only minor playing wear (no buckle rash, major dents) and it's a flametop. Is this a good price?

*Update

I tried the Les Paul. It sounds good, pretty clear sounding and articulate for a Les Paul.

Has only slight belt buckle scratches, minor dings and scratches on only the back and sides of the body, but no dents on the carved top. Headstock's got a bit of minor dings and scratches that I think is pretty common on a lot of guitars.

And there are some cracks on the binding at the cutaway area and the fingerboard on the sides of the frets, kind of makes it look like the frets are almost cutting through the binding on the sides.

If you take away the belt buckle scratches, I would say the whole guitar has Fender's Closet Classic type of wear.

However, the combination lock on the case is not working.

Btw, the guy managed to bring the price down to $1790, what do you think?

2. rastus

rastus Member

Sounds about right for an excellent one, but I'm a cheapskate. I'd probably wait and try to pull the trigger on one at or below 1750, especially in a soft market. I'd say 2050 is all the money and then some for one of those. BTW I worked there in 89, so I probably neck fit that one. They tend to be good guitars as we were striving to improve quality and market share, we scrapped guitars for the most minor of flaws at that time. I'd not pay that price unless I checked it ut in person and it was amazing. Online, I'd not buy it without a clear return policy being established beforehand.

3. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

Is it Garrett Park by any chance?

4. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

Well, fortunately for me, he lives nearby and I'm going to try the LP soon this weekend.

Is there anything that I should look out for when trying out a Les Paul, other than the weight (seems to be a mighty concern for a lot people)?

And are LPs made in that year have any significant traits attached to it like chambered bodies etc.?

If you meant by Garrett Park guitar shop, no. It's just owned by a guy.

5. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

Check on eBay to see going rates (look under "completed sales"). I prob wouldn't go over $1,400-1,600.

6. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

that's high for a late 80's paul std. geetarboy's right, i wouldn't go north of $1600.

7. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

$1450 for 95% to $1900 @98% mint according to blue book. Since it has wear in the $1300 to $1500 range.

8. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

No it's not a good price.
    You could get a used Historic R7 or R8 for around that.

9. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

The reason I asked about Garrett Park is that I just traded my '89 LP to them and it sounds like the exact same guitar. I had it on ebay for $1500, which I thought was a very fair price. I wound-up trading it and some cash for a Limited Edition CS Tele.

10. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Not a good price at all BUT 89/90 were Gibson's best years for LP's after 1970.

11. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

Ok guys, I finally went and try the Les Paul. It sounds good, pretty clear sounding and articulate for a Les Paul.

It only has slight belt buckle scratches, minor dings and scratches on only the back and sides of the body, but no dents on the carved top. Headstock's got a bit of minor dings and scratches that I think is pretty common on a lot of guitars.

And there are some cracks on the binding at the cutaway area and the fingerboard on the sides of the frets, kind of makes it look like the frets are almost cutting through the binding on the sides.

If you take away the belt buckle scratch, I would say it has Fender's Closet Classic type of wear.

However, the combination lock on the case is not working.

Btw, the guy managed to bring the price down to $1790, what do you think?

12. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I would say if the guitar feels and sounds good to you buy it. It may be a little on the high sude pricewise, but sometimes it doesn't matter unless you're buying it to sell. I do agree that 89 is a good year..... I bought one from another TGP'r and it was a great playing/feeling guitar. It's currently somewhere east of Seattle on it's way to N.J. I traded it straight up for a PRS 10 top Singlecut. So I'd say the value is around $1500 as that's about what the SC would sell for. If it speaks to you get it!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Too much IMO. But if it "speaks" to you, then you have to make the call. IMO it`s in the $1500 range. Any more and you are in used R7 territory, as already stated by others. Good luck. It appears to be a nice burst.