Value of a Hamer Special FM?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rwe333, Feb 10, 2006.

1. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I have a student considering selling one of these (2 humbuckers, maple cap, green, good shape, Gibson case...). I've always liked the way it plays/sounds, and could use an LP-type design for some stuff, but have no idea of value... Thanks in advance for any tips.

2. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

FWIW I bought a Special in TV yellow with a pair of P90s a few years back and that was like 250 bucks.

3. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

I see the USA Special FM's going regularly for $700.00 used, give or take. The Korean ones are very well crafted for half that . Holy crap Ed, $250.00? That's a steal. The Special FM has been discontinued for awhile now.

4. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I'm very thrifty...:dude

5. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Specials with P90's go for less than Special FM's because they don't have flame tops and there is a greater market demand for humbucker-equipped guitars ($250 is a steal for any US Hamer in good shape though). At any rate, if it's in good condition, you should get at least $500 for a Special FM.

-Austin

6. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I was going to second that $500.

People don't want to spend big bucks for them but at 5 bills, lot's of folks know it's a solid instrument for a good price.

7. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

As with anything, it depends on the condition/quality of the flame. I see ones on eBay with killer tops for around a grand. Generally, the regular Specials with P90s are found around $500, some plainer looking Special FMs are usually around $650.

I scored my Special FM for $850 a few months ago (I purchased it on here actually) and found my dream guitar, so I'm looking to unload it on TGP for $800. The only reason I'm selling mine for a bit more than some is because I feel that the top, the tone and the grain all warrant it (I dig it more than the Don Grosh I used to own and that sold for $1900 on here).

8. pm81

pm81 Member

Those used USA Hamers...just killer deals.

9. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

The Hamer Special FMs currently sell for between $600 and $800, depending on top quality, finish (most are in the stock '59 Burst or Natural, but there are some nifty custom colors out there) and, of course, condition. I see prices of @ $1,000 on eBay and in dealer stocklists, but they won't likely sell at those prices. Anything in that range (or better!) is a fair deal.

Keep in mind that the VG and other price guides are not even remotely accurate when it comes to used Hamer values. I've been playing, buying, selling and trading Hamers for over 20 years (I am not a dealer) and have a pretty good handle on market values, but you can check out the HFC site at www.hamerfanclub.com for further input.