value of Hamer USA guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by twitch, Mar 6, 2015.

1. twitch

twitch Member

Does it make sense that since these are discontinued their value could/should increase, or is this more driven by market conditions?

2. MarkF786

MarkF786 Member

Their value will be driven by supply & demand, but since supply is now fixed, the demand will be the primary factor.

One thing I've been wondering is if demand will increase or decrease because they're no longer made. It really could go either way.

The diehard Hamer fans seem to have been driving up prices initially, but once they fade away, maybe not many people will remember the brand or their quality, and prices will drop dramatically.

3. soli528

soli528 Member

IMO, they're still probably the best value you can get for the used prices they fetch, but the word is out on some of the nicer stuff and they're not the steal they used to be.

4. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

They seem to be all over the place as far as asking prices.
    All the Hamer guys used to joke about them being worth $350.
    I think you have a decent chance to stumble onto a good deal but they just aren't plentiful. I would love to have a couple.

5. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

I rarely find one at a bargain. The hamer fans are trying to escalate the prices.
    They were good guitars but not worth the current asking prices to me.

6. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

I hadn't noticed any uptick in rice on the old P-90 Specials, and had seen even the desirable "Sustain Block" 2 HB models dropping in price.

I think that Hamer prices will remain a bargain, and won't go up. Too bad, because I'd sell my '93 Special if the price was better.

7. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

Very similar to Tacoma ironically.

8. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I agree, I am constantly shocked at the quality and value compared to some of the high priced junk from other manufacturers. Bang for the buck for sure. The crazy low deals are not as plentiful as they once were though.

9. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

the joke was that they would offer you $350, not that they were worth $350.
    fwiw, they are great values on the used market. some of the vees and standards (explorer shape) seem to be increasing in value. especially the korina ones and others with desirable custom features. the newport 90 is particularly valuable now as they did not make many at all. some of the more common models and earlier shredders are still very affordable.

10. 316guitars

316guitars Silver Supporting Member

+1

Folks Hamer built amazing quality guitars and they actually deserve to be work much much more. Hamer started the boutique revolution before anyone else. When CBS (Fender) and Gibson started to cut corners Hamer stepped in. Paul Hamer and Jol Dantzig stepped up and basically said we can do better and did for a generation.

If you do not own a Hamer, Man... you are missing out that's all I can say.

11. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

Depends greatly on the model. There seem to be a few models that are appreciating but there are still lots of steals too. For instance, Californians are very desirable but the Chaparrals can still be found easily for under a grand.

The vintage Standards are, of course, the holy grails.

12. 316guitars

316guitars Silver Supporting Member

I just want to encourage anyone who thinks Hamers overpriced to view the Hamer factory tour video's posted on youtube. Each American made Hamer is a custom shop quality instrument build mainly by hand by a very small group of builders. You will not find this quality at twice the price.

I am Biased yes, however I was not always. There was a time I would not touch a hamer, I just assumed they were a knock off due to the cheap imports they offered. That changed when I listed to Bob Hartman recorded much of Petra's tunes using a Hamer Studio. He also talked about the time he toured the Hamer shop talked with the builders etc. I had to try one and I was blown away, it was and 95% are better than any of the Les Paul's I had been looking at. Now I own far more Hamers than I need LOL and 150 others but seriously these are some of the best guitars you can buy (price no object). My Redwood Studio Custom Destroys my Private stock PRS.

13. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I think they are fairly priced currently for what you actually get! Comparing the prices to similar Gibson offerings,etc. will show you how fair. The problem is when they were still being built they didn't have the brand identity factor of say an equivalent Gibson. The Newport series is the real "Sleeper" as far as I'm concerned in the used market!

14. django49

django49 Member

I have had many over the years. Still have way more Hamers than any sane person SHOULD.

Ironically, my Redwood Studio Custom (as celebrated above) is posted for sale at HFC. Not that it is NOT great. I just found another Redwood guitar that is even better. At least for me. Albeit costing over twice as much!

Aside from things posted for silly prices, Hamers tend to be very good values. And I do not think anyone is disappointed in any of the eight or so I have sold over the past year. Will likely sell as many more this year. No problems with them at all, just the sheer number is too high.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  15. twitch

twitch Member

I came across a Monaco, which I don't think was used. It has just been in the store, and the guy claimed it was one of the last ones to come out of the Hamer shop. It was at Roxy Guitars (outside of Philly), which is pretty reputable, and the guitar was in mint condition, other than a lot of dust, so it had been hanging there for a while. They actually have a nice selection of Hamers there. Anyway, I really like the guitar, the guy claimed he may have to raise his price, as they are going up in value. I know there are different Monaco's, this was not an elite, but is hollow (semi hollow), with a bigsby. It is a beuatiful looking, feeling and sounding guitar. He was asking a little over $2K for it. I felt it was worth it based on the feel, fit, finish and sound. Just have no real point of reference on what these go for. Basically this guitar:

[​IMG]

16. neastguy

neastguy Member

hamer USA guitars are quite possibly the worst guitars I have ever played.. please pass them by.. thank you

17. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

Last weekend tryed a 2014 flamed Gibson LP R8 and even had the cash in my pocket and was going to buy it, but after playing it, I thought I'd pass on it. The price was awesome and the seller was happy I didn't buy it, as he was having other offers of 500$ + what we had agreed on with me.

Why did I pass on it? Hell, I have 3 Hamers which cost together as much as this Gibson historic and each of them plays 2 times BETTER than this gibson. and I really didn't want to just buy it and then resale straight away.

So yeah, Hamers are some of the finest instruments on the market at ANY price. Just my 2ct.

18. neastguy

neastguy Member

blasphemy !!!!

19. sws1

sws1 Member

This one is valuable. But not for sale. (At least not yet.)

Triple Threat Custom

[​IMG]

20. newsonghawaii

newsonghawaii Member