value of Hamer USA guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by twitch, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Man just enjoy the low prices while they last.

The timing isn't so great for Hamer to appreciate also, with the economy like it is and general interest in guitars waning, causing lower prices.

I've been playing my Daytona lately- it's such a gem!

2. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

<snort!>

I owned a couple and played a couple more. They were all excellent, but not exactly what I needed so they are not with me, but well made, nice looking, god sounding boards, for sure.

<ignore that because them that do not know will inflate their value...>

3. django49

django49 Member

FWIW......My Triple Threat (with upgraded pickups) is one of the best sounding and playing guitars I have ever had. The pickup upgrade (which it came with) is so good that I sold my first one. But this one is not likely to go anywhere any time in the foreseeable future.

Only 30 made, so you do not see them too often.

4. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

If you want to sell this one, send me a message! I'd love to take it off your hands :D

5. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

When Hamers and and PRS (USA models) are similarly priced, I will pick PRS every time. Hamer came to fame for being equal or better than Gibson for less money. As time went on, they lost their way I think. They were no longer the good bang for the buck that they used to be.
    And to the Hamer fans, yes I used to own an Electraglide so don't paint me as clueless.
    And I still want an late 90s Phantom (like the prototype but with a TOM)

6. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

:bong

This is a Public Service Announcement: Don't smoke what this guy's smoking. You're welcome.

USA Hamers are definitely a great value. Every bit as good as PRS, IMO, and miles better than Gibson. You'd have to go Custom Shop to find equivalent quality control to Hamer in a Gibson guitar.

I have, and love, my mid-80's Cruise bass. Unfortunately, the guitar necks are a little too skinny and narrow for my taste which is why I regretfully let go of my Studio Mahogany - also to make room for a Richie Kotzen Tele.

7. Lumpy Trousers

Lumpy Trousers Member

I recently picked up a Hamer Eclipse for a little under $600 shipped. For the quality of the guitar, that's a steal in my book. I snagged a Prototype for around 600 bucks, which was not quite a steal since it was thrashed, but I couldn't talk the seller down, and I wanted the guitar.

My Hamer Newport - a little north of a grand. Kinda silly for the quality of the guitar. My Artist - around $900 - try to find an equivalent guitar for that kind of money. Even the priciest one I have (a Monaco) was around $1400 - still low for what is a superb guitar.

If <insert name of guitar hero here> starts playing one on stage, I'd think the prices would go up. But you never know.

8. custom53

custom53 Member

Absolutely...^ :agree

USA Hamer guitars are some of the best made guitars on the market. Shame Fender shut them down. I have noticed the prices are inching up on a lot of their models. I still own a few and have no desire to get rid of them. Too hard to replace them now.

'81 Special
    [​IMG]

'94 Duotone
    [​IMG]

'96 B12S
    [​IMG]

9. 73Fender

73Fender Member

If I had to sell my Gibson CS, Fender CS and the few small builder guitars I own and just keep my Hamers and a lower priced Fender or three, I'd be fine with it. Actually, that's a great idea.

Grabbed one this week on CL for less than a cheap Gibson:
    [​IMG]

10. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

Every Hamer I've played has sounded and played awesome. I had a US flametop standard that was my Gibson slayer. A divorce forced me sell it and I've regretted ever since. I was surprised when I picked up a faux flametop Korean Standard. With a pickup and electronics swap it plays and sounds very good. Nothing but praise for Hamer.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forum Fiend v1.3.2.

11. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I've been hearing that the Korean ones can be sleepers.

12. 316guitars

316guitars Silver Supporting Member

A few of my Hamers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  13. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

the korean hamers may be decent guitars for the money but they will never compare to the usa hamers.

14. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i had just the opposite experience. every usa prs i have tried has paled in comparison to the hamers i have owned and still own. something about the bridges and that horrible neck heel.

15. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

I hope Hamer prices stay horribly under valued so I can buy some more!

I can own any damn guitar I want. I have 6 Hamers. I have 0 PRS, and 0 desire for one.

16. 73Fender

73Fender Member

yes for sure but at the price point you see them on CL etc..they will beat out most others in that range. I only own USA models but some guys on the Hamer forum who know have been shocked by some of the Korean ones..not sure what other countries they were sourced from..

17. modavis99

modavis99 Silver Supporting Member

I had quite a few USA Hamers. They are a great value and well made. But they did not satisfy my urge for a Les Paul or a 335 and I sold them all except for a Standard. That might say more about me than Hamer but they were not a "Gibson killer" for me.

18. Yamaha 1421

Yamaha 1421 Supporting Member

I own 2 1979 Hamer "Sunbursts" both are "BOUND and CROWNED" and both ARE............Black...........a true oxymoron...........a "Black Sunburst" The first one I bought has a Kahler trem installed not long after the owner bought the guitar.I love these guitars they are perfect for me, much more so than any other guitars I have owned. The second was found for me by another guitarist............these are rare guitars to be found in this finish color and 'Bound and Crowned' with only about 30 made. My first one............. Here.[​IMG] and the second which was gotten late last year.[​IMG] they are amazing instruments to be sure.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  19. sws1

sws1 Member

Let me think about it. Perhaps this is a sign to remind me to reduce my collection. I'm surrounded by guitars, and really should reduce.

20. Dale

Dale Member

I picked mine up a few years back now. It is in regular rotation as a player here.

[​IMG]