value of Hamer USA guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by twitch, Mar 6, 2015.

1. $tratcat

$tratcat Member

Always wanted the 3-pickup model Mirage, exactly like this one. It has a 25.5" scale correct? With the "blower" switch".

That's a terrific collection.

2. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I've seen prices steadily climbing on USA Hamers for a few years now. I think there is no doubt their value will increase substantially. I used to have an '81 Special with the sustain block bridge. I had to sell it in the mid-90s to finance one of my LPs. I was kind of half-hoping I could somehow manage to find a way to hang onto it, but the guitar I was getting and the deal I got on it were both just too good. When Fender bought Hamer, I was wishing I still had it. I suspected this scarcity might happen, especially after seeing so many of those vintage Hamers re-finned, modded, or with snapped headstocks.

3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Hamer USA's are fantastic instruments.

4. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

This is exactly the opposite of what I've seen, but hey - I've only been watching this stuff closely for 25+ years, so what would I know? The "Hamer Fans" are actually the ones who are looking for the bargains and if anything, keeping the prices down. They also know where things should be priced.

It's the dealers with lots of unsold stock, those who have no idea what Hamers are and the random speculators who are pricing things high or trying to make a quick buck flipping stuff.

5. Oakley

Oakley Supporting Member

I have a Talladega, Talladega Pro, Monaco Superpro, and a Monaco III. These are among the best made guitars in my closet of 23. I had another Superpro and it was every bit as excellent as the one I still have.

I will confess that I bought three of these with an eye toward reselling them. This was after I sold my Jerry Jones baritone for $2500; about a 400% gain. It seemed like a similar situation.

Prices have not skyrocketed as I had hoped.....Yet. In the mean time, I have four fantastic boutique quality instruments to play. And I certainly won't lose money on the resale. I bought them all used.

6. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i have tried to own other brands over the years but nothing really compares to the usa hamers. this is what i am down to.
    '02 hamer newport pro custom order
    [​IMG]

and a '97 hamer standard
    [​IMG]

i recently purchased a '14 g&l legacy special that is working out quite well too.
    [​IMG]
    the g&l build quality and value is the closest thing i have found to fill the hamer gap. they are slightly different animals though

7. serial

serial Member

Which Electraglide did you own?

8. baj2k

baj2k Member

I had one of the "Triple Threats" Customs. I bought it from Steve at Wildwood. I even met Jol when I was there too. Loved the guitar but took a bath when I was forced to sell it. It took me 6 or 7 months to sell and for $1500 shipped, about 1/2 what I paid for it a year earlier. I had a similar experience with a Birds-Eye Maple Newport Pro when I had to sell that too... I really like their guitars but that experience turned me off to the brand (I think a lot of dealers too - they seemed to be very tough to sell new at retail...). Resale values may be better now but with the way I move gear in and out I'll pass... ;)

Here's a few picks of them... somebody out here in TGP land has them now... :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  9. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

You sold a little too early then! Two TTs just sold from Dave's guitars for $2,700 each, back to back, and sold within a day or two.

10. DrBob

DrBob Member

Am still trying to find a T-62 but they're rarer than hens teeth in England

11. conrad

conrad Member

Just bought one, soo I guess they are still undervalued :)
    [​IMG]

Roe likes this.
  12. tobereeno

tobereeno Member

Hamers suck. If you happen to have one, the very best you can do is head over to those nutjobs on the Hamer forum and unload your worthless Hamer stock, and be happy that you're getting any money at all for them.

13. neastguy

neastguy Member

they suck really bad!!!!

14. icr

icr Member

Depends on how bad you want one and how much you are willing to pay.

15. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I'd love to get a Newport or Monaco III eventually. Absolutely beautiful and killer craftsmanship. Some really great looking guitars in this thread.

16. G Man

G Man Member

Damn, that Monaco III with the TV Jones is incredible.

17. Devnor

Devnor Member

I think for the majority of stuff out there, Hamer pricing will continue to remain flat for many more years. It's too bad because I would like to move a few guitars. IME not every Hamer is a gem - I've had a couple very expensive true customs that were dogs. Stuff that should have never, ever left the factory. But for the most part there are good guitars out there at at excellent prices.

18. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

I have two USA Hamers. a Californian and a Special.

Hamers sold for more than Gibsons back in the 70`s/80`s , not less.

After playing my Special a friend offered me a choice between his three les pauls, a 78, 80 and an 81.
    I still have my Special.
    the Californian is a rare beast, it`s the best of the 80`s shread guitars IMO

anyone have any ideas about how many of these were made?
    they had the same 12 people employed for the first 12 years or so.
    one to answer the phone, that's 11
    one to sweep up and monitor the car park/clean the toilet get lunch and move boxes
    that's 10
    two guys to sell guitars
    that's 8
    one guy tuning and boxing up guitars
    that's 7
    one guy cutting frets and sharpening chisels
    one guy painting

I mean they made about 6 guitars a week

so there cant be that many around

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  19. serial

serial Member

Several thousand Specials and Calis over the years I'd guess.

20. Yamaha 1421

Yamaha 1421 Supporting Member

The 2 Black 1979 Hamer Sunbursts I have are outstanding in every respect,I have owned a ton of guitars of every make and model and I find these 2 guitars to be at the pinnacle of what I want to own. Great Sound,Great Playability,and Top Notch Build Quality.Everyone is free to express what they view as a great guitar.............. if you don't like it then don't own it.There are no "Nut Jobs" on the HFC.........all good guys,helpful,informative...........they know what they are talking about regarding Hamer guitars and others as well.Yeah we joke around but its all in good fun and if you can't have that when you join a forum well..................isn't that why you join?,to be informed and enjoy the experience of people who have the same passion for the instruments you own?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015