value of Hamer USA guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by twitch, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

The one with a sunburst flame top and explorer headstock.
    It came from Sam Moss Guitars in Winston-Salem NC.
    Someone on the HFC has it now I think.
    It was great except for a really skinny neck.
    The concept would be awesome with a fat neck.
    The Prototype/Phantom pickup arrangement is something I think Hamer got right, but it didn't catch on.

2. serial

serial Member

There were two-Sam's personal one and the one I own. Sam's is owned by another HFCer. One had the 3 coil and a P90, the other just the 3coil. I was in the shop when the one I own arrived. Sam had just gotten two (either 2 or 4, I forget) PRS guitars in, which were mythological beasts in late 1985/early 96. As wild as they were, the Electraglide impressed me more (better top and finish). I hunted that guitar down for 17 years. Both are in my book.

Love the 3 coil setup. Sam had the coolest guitars.
    [​IMG]

3. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I guess that maybe quality control the last two years of production nose dived as my friend became a Hamer Dealer during that period.He, the counter salesman and two teachers all bought one and I had not been to the shop for a few months. When I walked in all 4 of them asked me if I wanted to buy their guitar lol. Some of the older models on this thread are really wicked looking guitars that for the right price I would jump on. I am sure if an iconic player used one as his main axe for a long period that guitar would hold it's value or go for a lot more.

4. serial

serial Member

This is simply not true. The guitars that went out in the last few years were at the highest level of the company's history. I have never heard ANYONE make that claim before.

Imports maybe.

5. Mpcoluv

I owned the one with just the triple coil. Except for the skinny neck, it was fantastic.
    I am pretty sure I played yours when it came in.
    Sam was an awesome guy!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  6. DaveK

DaveK Member

I dig my Monaco Elite. Build quality as good as anything Gib$on has ever put out. The seriously confusing and odd decision by Hamer to load them stock with a Duncan Custom in the neck (!) and Custom Custom in the bridge !?!?!
    Swapped for a pair of Alnico II pros and the tone is fantastic.

[​IMG]

7. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Never heard that either. Those guys where very focused on QC. Hamer is probably one of the few brands I would buy sight unseen.

Was just playing my 2001 Studio unplugged, the thing vibrates against my ribs, has a nice neck with some moderate chunk to it.

Hamer used some beautiful wood ..beautiful grain ..think R9 like..dark dark rosewood board and if I told you what it cost on CL you wouldn't believe me.

8. serial

serial Member

That was Sam's personal one (w/o P90). The neck on mine's a medium profile. Sam taught me that old P90 Juniors were better guitars than almost anything with humbuckers. I never got the whole Dano thing, but he was a great player who knew his ****.

9. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

I don't know if they will go up but everyone I've owned have been great guitars. Anything coming through the door has to go up against my 83' Sunburst, even LPs. I've owned newer and older models. I would agree the last ones may have been the best build.

10. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

just checked Ebay, all the Calles are over 3K

11. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Sam ROCKED.

[​IMG]

I'm assuming this was the one you owned? I have a picture of it that I took back in Sam's shop on a stand on the counter back when it was new in the mid-80s. That was kind of my "grail" guitar for years. I guess you must have sold it at some point in the late '80s or very early '90s (??), as I tried to buy it at a DC Guitar Show in '90 (maybe '91) from a West Virginia dealer. I put it up against the bleachers and snapped another pic of it, because I couldn't believe I had run into it again. I came back the next morning to close the deal, and he regretfully informed me that a Japanese buyer walked around after the show closed on Saturday, pointing to guitars while his two lackeys wheeled around a big flat cart full of cases and writing checks. It went to Japan, and vanished for a few years.

In the early 2000s, it turned up again, and I had a friend in Japan try to negotiate the sale for me because the seller wouldn't ship. The current owner made it worth their while apparently, and has owned it since. At least one of the pickups has been changed since then to all black coils.

12. aldridt1

aldridt1 Member

[​IMG]

This is one made by Greg Farris probably right when he left Hamer to go to Washburn.

It is a freakin great guitar. Not a production model, but more of a mutt than a custom, I think.

I dont anticipate it will be worth much ever, mainly due to the undesirable textured finish, which was cool in the late 80s, but not now.

Editing to add that I bought this about 10 months ago for 500 bucks with a hardshell case. It was pretty much un played when i got it. I bought it from the original owner.

13. Mpcoluv

That's it. I think I bought it from "Stevie" of HFC fame who was the original owner. Stevie was a friend of my bass playing cousin Steve. I don't really remember who I sold it to. I think a local W-S area guy. I sold it in 88 or 89 I think. I was more into Les Pauls and a '82 Korina V. I remember comparing it's tonal versatility to a PRS Custom 24 of the same vintage that Sam loaned me. It covered a lot of the tonal range. It did all I wanted sonically, but the thin shredder neck made my hand hurt. It is one of those works of art that didn't suit me in the end.

14. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I bet there is a nice hunk of wood under that finish if you ever get the urge.. looks cool as is as well.

15. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Member

If you decide you just can't handle a guitar that ugly- let me know, k?
    WOW.

16. upfrontguitars

upfrontguitars Member

Hamer is a good study in perceived value of a brand. Hamer's don't get any love because they don't say Gibson, PRS or Fender. It's takes a long time to build brand value, and they didn't get there. It's the plight of many small builders. You'll be happy with the guitar until you try to sell it.

Roe likes this.
  17. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

And, do you still have that white Korina?:wave

18. custom53

custom53 Member

I have never heard this before either. I will agree about the imports though, but I have never really considered them true Hamers..

19. twitch

twitch Member

I will just say, better late than never as far as I am concerned. The Hamer (Monaco)I pulled the trigger on was built in 2007. It is right up there with the PRS (Custom 22) I had, and if I had to pick, I would easily go with the Hamer. I was in need of a humbucker guitar. This thing is FANTASTIC. I really wish I had discovered Hamer USA earlier, but like I said, better late than never.

20. custom53

custom53 Member

So true.. I hear a lot of complaints from people who have never played a USA Hamer before. Or maybe one they didn't like and lump them all together. Yes, all builders have made "duds" (i.e Gibson, Fender, etc) but the good to great to bad ratio is heavily in Hamer's favor.. And personally, I have never played a "bad" one...

And you got a Great Guitar, Congrats.. The USA Hamer Monaco is a fantastic instrument.. Like you said "better late than never"..