value of Hamer USA guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by twitch, Mar 6, 2015.

1. twitch

twitch Member

I already want another one. I could literally replace my Driskill and my Melancon. While the Hamer is comsetically most similar to my Gretsch, that is the one thing it really couldn't replace. Otherwise, I cannot beleive how versatile this thing is. And again, fit and finish is TOP SHELF.

Not, I will not be replacing the mentioned guitars, it would be too hard fo r me to actually do that, but I am floored by the Hamer.

2. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

3. conrad

conrad Member

Just bought two, don't care about the "value". Two guitars that are worth more than what I paid to me.
    [​IMG]

4. 316guitars

316guitars Silver Supporting Member

Depends upon demand. Supply is fixed so if demand increases prices will rise some point Fender will figure it out and "Reissue" Hamers through there custom shop. That is likely the case.

Hamers IMO are better guitars than Gibson or Fender Custom shop guitars -more consistent, better tone, more interesting too. They deserve to be expensive.

5. 316guitars

316guitars Silver Supporting Member

I have owned 50 and not one was a dud, not one.
    I owned a 2013 R9 that was a POS I returned it.

6. serial

serial Member

I've owned 100 or more and still own a bunch from all eras. Only one dud and that was an abused '84 Phantom that was in bad shape. My newest favorite was built by a former Hamer guy. FMIC just sold off Hamer and Kaman as I understand, but I have zero interest in a Hamer that is only the name. I have my 'new Hamer' and it rocks.

Roe likes this.
  7. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

FMIC just sold off KMC (to JAM), but I haven't seen anywhere that Hamer was listed as an asset that transferred.

No matter, as without any of the original DNA, I have zero interest in a rebirth.

8. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Same here. All I have left is my 83' Sunburst. It may be my best guitar

9. Devnor

Devnor Member

This one:

[​IMG]

:drool

10. serial

serial Member

Damn. I LOVE that guitar!!

11. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Don't know how it sounds but that is probably the meanest looking white guitar I have ever seen or will ever see. Somebody had the EYE!

12. allguitar

allguitar Member

I've played Hamer guitars but have never owned one. I do own a mid 70's Hamer Cruisebass I got in 1982 and I've never played a better bass[​IMG]

13. LanEvo

LanEvo Member

I'd love to have an old Hamer Special ... but I've always found the neck profiles thinner than I like. I prefer mid- to late-'50s Gibsons with round-fat or soft-vee profiles.

If you ever decide to sell the B12S, please call me first. Serious buyer.

14. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Skinny necks. Hameritis.

15. serial

serial Member

Really?

Skinny necks lasted all of two-three years and it was what was en vogue at the time.

'Hameritis'? Also a limited phenomenon.

But then I'm sure you have vast experience with Hamers (point made above)...
    Or you read a lot of internet.

16. meanmud

meanmud Member

I played a '97 Artist Custom that sounded and played fantastic!!! The neck was just a bit too thin for me, but like serial stated, short lived in the timeline for Hamer.

17. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

My 83' Sunburst has a medium neck as well as my 93' Special FM'.. My 92' P90 Special was thin and well as my 81' Special. I had a 95' Special FM with a huge neck. My Standards and Mirage had generous necks. I've had two Hamers with a little "Hameritis" not to bad though. I've had Strats with the finish flaking off at the edges, current strat included. I've had a lot of Hamers over the years and they as rule have been exceptional sans one that that was just ok... Pretty good record in my book.

18. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Not really. Well, really, keep that myth going so we can get more excellent deals.

19. 73Fender

73Fender Member

20. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I've owned two, seen another half dozen of the USA models. I guess the Hamer fans only sell the bad ones.

They're certainly not the only manufacturer to suffer from the finish issue (hello Fender maple necks!), but they got stuck with the nickname.

Hamer was one of those brands that got into a lot of players hands, but other than Rick Neilsen, they never became the signature guitar for a notable player--everyone moved on.