Value of Les Paul Deluxe with 70's p90 pick up

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blckgtrsoundbtr, Feb 13, 2012.

1. blckgtrsoundbtr

blckgtrsoundbtr Member

Hello this is my first thread. It's an honor to post here on TGP!
    I have a 1980 Les Paul deluxe that had p90 pick ups when I bought it used in 2001. Until recently I thought the p90s were stock with the guitar. I contacted gibson and they responded with the fact it is a Deluxe that was born with mini humbuckers.
    I am in the process of selling the guitar because ultimately the maple neck is not my thing and am not able to own more than one les paul. Otherwise I would keep it for a nice change in flavor but my budget won't permit.
    The p90s are I assume from the 70's as they have the clear bobbin and match pick ups I see on ebay. They are trying to get around 390 for one pick up on ebay and I don't know if my pick ups are in this price range. I don't know where to price this guitar. Should I split the pickups from the guitar? I'm really just trying to get a general idea of what I should get for this guitar. Thanks!!!!!!!

Also note the guitar was not altered of routed to accomodate the p90s as they slip right in to the mini humbucker slots on a Deluxe. So the guitar is still stock minus the original pick ups. Thanks again!

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Are you sure its not a LP Pro Deluxe that came stock with p90s during that era?

3. blckgtrsoundbtr

blckgtrsoundbtr Member

I guess I'm not completely sure. I sent pictures of the front of the body and the front of the headstock to Gibson and they said it was a Deluxe with P90s added. It has a rosewood fret board. The pros had ebony. The tuners lead me to think it's a Deluxe too. Yeah I think Ive eliminated that possibility. Although I saw someone selling one on Ebay with the rosewood fret board claiming it was a PRo. THere is a bunch of solder on the pick ups where the wire contacts the pick up leading me to believe they are not stock. thanks

4. photoguy

photoguy Member

From the 1980 catalog if it's of any help. At a quick glance, it seems that the rosewood/ebony and the body colors are the only differences.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. blckgtrsoundbtr

blckgtrsoundbtr Member

Thanks for the catalog pictures that definitely helps. Gibson sent me a black and white of the same add for the deluxe. It does seem that the only real differences are the fretboards and pups. Tuners are the same inlays are the same.
    I love your quote about your '79. :rotflmaoI didn't know anything about the maple neck until a couple years ago. I was playing through a Dual Rectifier and the two were a good match. They equaled each other out. Unfortunatley I sold the rec and opened a can of worms. I love this guitar. Really. But like I said I've convinced myself I'd be a little more happy with a mohogany neck and I can't afford to have 2 LP's in my life. Otherwise this thing is my baby. It's a gorgeous and killer black guitar. It also kind of needs a refret and a new bridge and I'd rather sell it than put the work into it. I owned an '89 LP standard I bought new, was used to that sound and sold it at a dumb point in my life back in '97. I played a bunch of new LP's at Guitar Center the other day and just didn't totally click with any enough to buy one. Good guitars but my '80 is more to my liking. Definitely way way more mojo. No one really talks about the benefits of the maple necks. They are rock solid. Have beautiful chiming notes that can not be reproduced on a mohagany neck LP. Where I notice the difference is with simple rock power chords are not quite warm enough on the maple neck. It's good for country, jazz, blues, rocka billy and punk. Mike Ness of Social Distortion uses a maple neck goldtop religiously and his latest album has some of the best guitar tones recorded I have ever heard. Also I was really diggin a live clip of Dean Deleo of Stone Temple Pilots and loving his sound and whole bit. Only to find out his LP's are late 70's!! ANyway maybe I'll try to keep it. thanks for the pics!!!

6. blckgtrsoundbtr

blckgtrsoundbtr Member

I guess the main thing I was wondering about was the pickups and how to tell if they were indeed from the 70's. Anyway thanks for everyones input.